Customs help

Dalem44

Hey guys,
Does anyone have a contact at customs or jhb mail centre? I have had a parcel sent from the US with the USPS first class package service and I can only track it up until US borders. I understand that you can phone and get a local tracking number but they say that parcel has not yet been scanned in. I tried phoning customs and they say it hasn't been scanned in either. So in other words it's somewhere in limbo between US customs and SA customs. How can i find out whats happening. Its been 3 weeks since it left.
TIA

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
It is not in SA yet as I said and nobody but DHL in SA will be able to tell you why so not customs nor SAPO would be able to assist you.

Dalem44

Why will DHL help? It wasn't shipped with them it was with USPS

Dalem44

Ok. I will try contact them again but they said it has left the country

falcon786

Honorary Master
Hey guys,
Does anyone have a contact at customs or jhb mail centre? I have had a parcel sent from the US with the USPS first class package service and I can only track it up until US borders. I understand that you can phone and get a local tracking number but they say that parcel has not yet been scanned in. I tried phoning customs and they say it hasn't been scanned in either. So in other words it's somewhere in limbo between US customs and SA customs. How can i find out whats happening. Its been 3 weeks since it left.
TIA

Tracking number stays the same even locally these days.

Go to SAPO website and click on international tracking,then enter your tracking number be warned though I currently have items waiting up to 1 month at local customs,they are pathetically slow lately.It used to be 2 weeks now up to a month.:wtf:

Dalem44

This is what I get:
Partial or no tracking information is available for this item posted in UNITED STATES. You may try the tracking service provided by the post of UNITED STATES.

USPS has no answer for me either

Krypt0n1te

When did yours leave the US?
I've got a parcel that left Chicago on the 18th of May and I am also still waiting.
I spoke to someone today who informed me there is a sudden huge backlog at JIMC and MANY parcels have not even been scanned into the country.

Dalem44

Mine left on the 19th.
What confuses me is that it has been sitting there for 3 weeks if there is a backlog. I phoned customs today and there is no record of it.

Krypt0n1te

Mine left on the 19th.
What confuses me is that it has been sitting there for 3 weeks if there is a backlog. I phoned customs today and there is no record of it.
The parcels are still sitting in the containers. They haven't scanned them into the country yet.

The moment they scan it into the country you will get a JIMC date/timestamp.
My last location is also the fact that it left the US on the 18th.

I'll let you know when mine scans in.
Just note, I received two parcels recently that took less than a month from the time it left the border there, through JIMC, through customs, through to Cape Mail and then to my post box. So there is currently a backlog hence me phoning today.

Dalem44

The parcels are still sitting in the containers. They haven't scanned them into the country yet.

The moment they scan it into the country you will get a JIMC date/timestamp.
My last location is also the fact that it left the US on the 18th.

I'll let you know when mine scans in.
Just note, I received two parcels recently that took less than a month from the time it left the border there, through JIMC, through customs, through to Cape Mail and then to my post box. So there is currently a backlog hence me phoning today.

Cool. What type of USPS service was used for yours?

Krypt0n1te

Also USPS First Class (not to be confused with an airline's first class!! As it's the lowest priority)

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
It’s only been three weeks.

After six weeks you worry.

And next time use a real courier.

Dalem44

I bought the item from Ebay and thought the seller was going to use DHL. So it was my own fault for not checking up with the seller.

calgal90

I went through the same thing recently, I waited 8 weeks for my parcel to arrive. The post office is incredibly slow. Don't try phone them, you might be lucky to get through but for the most part their phones just ring and ring and ring. The only thing you can do is wait, your package will more than likely arrive but it is going to take time.

In my case, my parcel was 'not on their system' for weeks until one day I got a slip from the post office to fetch my item. In fact, I got a response from SAPO the day before I received my post office slip
saying that my package was still not on their system, yet the very next day it was at the post office for collection.

I will NEVER use SAPO again for international packages. Since then I have been using Aramex Global Shopper which has been far more reliable and quick.

Last edited:

Dalem44

I went through the same thing recently, I waited 8 weeks for my parcel to arrive. The post office is incredibly slow. Don't try phone them, you might be lucky to get through but for the most part their phones just ring and ring and ring. The only thing you can do is wait, your package will more than likely arrive but it is going to take time.

In my case, my parcel was 'not on their system' for weeks until one day I got a slip from the post office to fetch my item. In fact, I got a response from SAPO the day before I received my post office slip
saying that my package was still not on their system, yet the very next day it was at the post office for collection.

I will NEVER use SAPO again for international packages. Since then I have been using Aramex Global Shopper which has been far more reliable and quick.

I am hoping that it just "arrives" at the post office. I phoned customs and it wasnt on their system yet even though it should have been in the country at least 3 weeks ago.
I am just going to pop in every few days to see if its there.