DigiChilli January Status and feedback

What package you on? I've started looking for another ISP, close to giving up on DC.

Hi :)
Try Afrihost, I went over and it's a whole less stress and the speeds are even better than what I get on my telkom user!:)
 
Right, I got this email from the techie on DC's side.

Make what you will from it.

Hi *******

Good news, we are implementing a new system to give each user a raw pipe unshaped. This will give you all the services and application free range you need to pull torrents to max at night and play games to your hearts desire during the day.

The only bad thing is that you now have to manage your bandwidth your self. Pulling torrents will kill your other services like gaming, youtube, FTP. Cloe torrents then you claim back full bandwidth to do what you need to do at the time.

Go life is this week.

Regards
Andre
 
Right, I got this email from the techie on DC's side.

Make what you will from it.

Andre is the technical dude for digichilli, no doubt! Still shows network will be unstable and unreliable! Or am I wrong? Why pay for something that is not what was offered in the first place? It's one problem after the next, or better yet, one excuse to the next!
 
i give up. browsing the net is so not wat internetz was invented for. everything else is epic fail
 
i give up. browsing the net is so not wat internetz was invented for. everything else is epic fail

LOL! I eventually just sat watching my uTorrent download and got pretty excited when it peaked at 0.5kb/s (dc account). My sister actually laughed at me while I thought 0.5kb/s was better than watching 0.1kb/s Browsing was not interesting at all and youtube became a nightmare.
 
Currently fluctuating between 10 -15 kB/s on an HTTP download.
For a 192 mb file, this is gonna be fun...
 
ja but Afrihost isn't uncapped

I pull torrents during the day, and play games at night when I get back from work.

I think everyone is misreading what was meant there. They are changing to an unshaped pipe, thus you must choose how you will priorities what runs through it.

The following from the email above was just poorly worded, and i'm pretty sure nothing is time based.

This will give you all the services and application free range you need to pull torrents to max at night and play games to your hearts desire during the day.

A few days ago Dave told me the following:

It's been bumpy. We're moving to virtual pipes per client. i.e. 256 kbps pipe for each spicy etc. We've had to write our own software to interface between the radius and the shaper to do this. We've done and tested it on hot and medium accounts and will be implementing it for spicy and mild today. The challenge was making it dynamic and not just once off.

Within each VC or client's pipe we're gonna do nada. So they effectively get unshaped at that point. We are setting a QoS priority so that things still move along for them but will leave it up to their own management.

The underlined stuff might have changed though as this was a few days ago. The important thing is they are beginning to understand whats doable and what isnt.
 
Last edited:
Flatlining at 40KB/s so they prob implemented the raw pipe for everyone...if i start my torrents they chow the news server bandwidth etc....prob the best way to go, everyone gets their share...

They should change the advertising though, i cannot see how they implement burst now??????:sick::mad::wtf::(:twisted::cry::erm::o

i'm on a 4MB line...don't see the diff between this and screamer? or SAOL?
SAOL is prob the best bet now...and cheapest...
 
Flatlining at 40KB/s so they prob implemented the raw pipe for everyone...if i start my torrents they chow the news server bandwidth etc....prob the best way to go, everyone gets their share...

They should change the advertising though, i cannot see how they implement burst now??????:sick::mad::wtf::(:twisted::cry::erm::o

The price per K/s is already the cheapest you can get, so i'm not sure the burst is needed. I'd rather have less burst and a more stable connection. Maybe in time they can perfect the bursting algorithm, but from where i'm sitting it's caused more problem than it's worth.

I did here something a long time ago about a 384kbps package in the works. If they can bring that out for say R349 i'm sure most would be happy.
 
Well I had nice speeds all afternoon and then at about 17:20 my speeds halved - so I am back to my old crappy speed of 15kB/s. Torrents lift every now and then but mostly they stay below 5 and the rest of my speed is RS. :sick:

EDIT: and by nice I mean not too ****ty
 
Just to add my above line of thinking, when they bring out the newsserver it will also save people some money.

(40K/s Saol bandwidth R360) + (astraweb R80 roughly) = R440
(32K/s Digichilli R300) + (free newsserver) = R300

= R140 cheaper, it just needs to be stable.
 
Right, I got this email from the techie on DC's side.

Make what you will from it.

YAY!!! That is the best news, throttle your application running the downloads with netlimiter so that you can work or surf or whatever, and when you want you just take the throttle of the download app and let her fly :D
TX DC i think this will solve allot :D

Give the client the line and let him decide when and where what must throttle and what must not.
 
Give the client the line and let him decide when and where what must throttle and what must not.

Only if by some remote chance you get full package speed. Will you still be excited when you have to share your 256kbps with 3 or 4 other guys?
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X