DigiChilli January Status and feedback

My torrents are still 5kB/s
Browsing and multithreaded HTTP downloads seem good.
 
I have received an email response regarding the slow line speed I have been experiencing for the past couple of days (Please note the reference to Screamer is purely for context):
We are busy doing a huge overhaul on the system to give each guy his own pipe. You are on spicy and the pipe allocated to you can only be 32KB max, I don't understand how other spicy users can get faster speeds on torrents alone as this guys past our pipe allocation just on one protocol. We have seen however that some guys get past the shaper and therefor get much better speed then others. This is a glitch and we are busy sorting it out. In regards to torrent speeds, please send me your torrent application, the site you are pulling torrents from and the torrent names or ID's and I can see the speed I get from the office using your logon.

My response:
I accept that you guys are limiting people to their line speed now but
this raises the following questions:

1. I signed up with DigiChilli and not one of the other guys since I was meant to be able to burst above the package speed. If I am limited to 32kB/s this will no longer hold true, correct? In this case your website offering should be amended to reflect this and I would recommend making some sort of a post on the MyBB forum.
2. My line started slowing down on Friday evening. On Saturday morning I used my Xbox to download Forze 3 demo, Burnout Paradise demo and a couple of others. While this was downloading I was able to download at 40kB/s sustained. This lasted until Sunday morning around 04:00AM. At this point my downloads dropped back to 10kB/s for torrents and rapidshare combined. If we are each on our own dedicated 32kB/s pipe how is it possible that I could download from Xbox Live at 40kB/s but my RapidShare downloads and my torrents are still below 10kB/s
3. Please see the following posts for people bursting far beyond their package speeds:
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showpost.php?p=3543195&postcount=2666 - Has Spicy on 4Mbps line - gets 20kB\s for RapidShare and up to 60kB\s for normal http downloads
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showpost.php?p=3541848&postcount=2588 - Has Mild on 4Mbps line - gets 60-65kB\s sustained from RapidShare
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showpost.php?p=3540807&postcount=2563 - 40kB\s News, 40kB\s torrents
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showpost.php?p=3539933&postcount=2538 - Spicy on 512kbps line - http downloads 42kB\s, torrents 47kB\s
All four these examples are from the previous 24 hours.

Just to place this into perspective: people on Screamer are saying that they are downloading using their entire link - 384kbps all the time. They cost R399 for 384 or 96c/kbps - DC for the same price would need to be priced at R246 for the 256kbps package. By limiting people to the 256kbps package you are removing your competitive advantage.

This is obviously your prerogative to make your business work by changing the package details but I would suggest that you do so transparently.
 
384kbps all the time. They cost R399 for 384 or 96c/kbps - DC for the same price would need to be priced at R246 for the 256kbps package.

It depends on your line speed, with a 384kbps line you get the following:

(screamer) 384kbps gets you 40K R399/40K = 99.7 cents for 1K/s
(digichilli) 256kbps gets you 32K R300/32K = 93.7 cents for 1K/s

If digichilli actually gave you 32K they would be cheaper.

If you share a mild account with a friend then digichilli is even cheaper.

Mild account shared = R250 each, so R250/32K = 78.1 cents for 1K/s
 
Last edited:
I'm happy for you, but there are still some of us who are getting horrible speeds, my Gmail, ftp and VPN is not working. I do research and pull a lot from Gartner and Forrester via http, I get 3KB on multithread if I'm lucky, so I would tend to think that they still have huge issues...and no updates from Dave does not make things any easier.

I'll give them till month end, then I unfortunately will be moving my account if these problems are not resolved...sad, but this is too painful :(

I agree! My ftp, VPN and skype is not working! My browsing is ok, nothing great, Int sites seem to be worse... Torrents are at most 20 KB/s. I have no idea whats going on with DC as we haven't heard from Dave...

I really hope all these issues gets sorted soon, because I'm losing faith in DC. And maybe I'll give them till month end and see otherwise I'm gone too.
 
How does the refund thing work? Do i need to get it before Jan ends for Jan? What will be refunded though? Days left?
 
It depends on your line speed, with a 384kbps line you get the following:

(screamer) 384kbps gets you 40K R399/40K = 99.7 cents for 1K/s
(digichilli) 256kbps gets you 32K R300/32K = 93.7 cents for 1K/s

If digichilli actually gave you 32K they would be cheaper.

Maybe the extra hundred bucks would be worth the drop in stress levels.

Instead of me doing my downloading etc, I find I'm spending all my time here
waiting for updates to why the speeds are so K@k.
 
Maybe the extra hundred bucks would be worth the drop in stress levels.

Instead of me doing my downloading etc, I find I'm spending all my time here
waiting for updates to why the speeds are so K@k.

True, if it was not that SAOL is also down. I am also wasting most of my time here waiting for updates.
 
Maybe the extra hundred bucks would be worth the drop in stress levels.

Instead of me doing my downloading etc, I find I'm spending all my time here
waiting for updates to why the speeds are so K@k.

I agree, i won't be using digichilli much longer if things don't improve.
 
I phoned their call centre yesterday to ask for a refund. I was told to email [email protected]. I had a very good laugh when the lady on the other end tried to spell tech. Yes the call operators can't even spell tech, how in the world are they going to help if you're having troubles.
 
Testing the torrent download now, it's between: 33 kB/s - 45 kB/s.
I'm on Mild, 384k.

... Yup, still in Kimberley.
 
Yebo yes!!

It's alive

Torrents: 20-25KB/s
Browsing still fast

oops? torrets down to 10KB/S

384 Line
 
everything still going ok, browsing is fast too, just mail still down. Anybody know what other SMTP i can use on digichilli??
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X