Discovery Vitality [2018]

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
After you do the Vitality health assessment (the one with a nurse who does actual tests not just the form where you find out your Vitality Age) how long before you get your points? And how many points have people been getting for this? "up to 20000" is what the website says...

jun_tao

Expert Member
After you do the Vitality health assessment (the one with a nurse who does actual tests not just the form where you find out your Vitality Age) how long before you get your points? And how many points have people been getting for this? "up to 20000" is what the website says...
Mine took about a week. I got the 20000 points for having everything within range. You should also get
5000 points if you do the HIV test.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Mine took about a week. I got the 20000 points for having everything within range. You should also get
5000 points if you do the HIV test.
Wow as much as that. Not all my numbers were in range. And I wasn't offered the hiv test :(

Tinuva

The Magician
Me and the wife for the 1st time this year did it at the Discovery center in Century city. Points came in the same day.

Tinuva

The Magician
Did they come in automatically?

How many? 20k each??
Automatic yes.

The health check points was in before we even left the building. The fitness stuff was in later the same day.

Point breakdown:

Vitality Fitness Assessment
Vitality Fitness Assessment - level 4 (bonus)

Achieving 5 Outcomes of VHC
Completing all VHC tests
Having your cholesterol checked
Having your weight assessed
Having your glucose checked
Having your blood pressure checked

Voluntary counselling and testing for HIV

Find out your Vitality Age (we did this online after going home, since most things are then already filled in for us)

So +- 20k each. She didn't receive a bonus for the Fitness, because pregnant, so she litterally walked in, listen to some bs stories, paid R400 out of the savings account for the 2500 points.

abudabi

Expert Member
I didn't do the check this year. The way I see it I don't need to as I've already hit gold again. Other than not getting the full cashback on healthyfoods... am I missing out on anything else? Will it affect my "diamondness" status for next year?

cfvh600

Expert Member

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Automatic yes.

The health check points was in before we even left the building. The fitness stuff was in later the same day.

Point breakdown:

Vitality Fitness Assessment
Vitality Fitness Assessment - level 4 (bonus)

Achieving 5 Outcomes of VHC
Completing all VHC tests
Having your cholesterol checked
Having your weight assessed
Having your glucose checked
Having your blood pressure checked

Voluntary counselling and testing for HIV

Find out your Vitality Age (we did this online after going home, since most things are then already filled in for us)

So +- 20k each. She didn't receive a bonus for the Fitness, because pregnant, so she litterally walked in, listen to some bs stories, paid R400 out of the savings account for the 2500 points.
Thanks for the detailed feedback. That's a lot of points right there!

Noisybottom

I did my assesment today, hit only 3 of the targets so only 7500 points bonus, I got the 2500 points for the 5 assesments and then also 5000 for the HIV screening. Total of 15000 points and they were reflecting while I was still consulting, in fact the assessor lady wanted me to check them before I left. I didn't do the fitness test as I don't have any MSA left and am too tight to spend the R400. Also the paying for points doesn't appeal to me yet as I am battling to get my wife to get into properly applying herself to the vitality points earn. But an easy and free 15000 points it's a no brainer. Now to work on the 2 measures I fell short on in the assessment....... Belly fat be gone!

milomak

Honorary Master
does your length of stay at the gym impact your points eg a 60 min session versus a 90 min session?

Noisybottom

does your length of stay at the gym impact your points eg a 60 min session versus a 90 min session?
As mentioned a gym visit of any length is 100 points. If you monitor your heart rate using an approved/supported device, the vitality website lists devices, then you get rewarded based on heart rate and duration. For example a heart rate average of 70 to 79% of max for 30 mins nets 200 points, same heart rate average for 1 hour nets 300 points (which is max points), a 30 Min work out at average heart rate 80%+ gets the same 300 points. Note you get only the maximum points for the day so if you reach a heart rate points of 200 you don't get the 100 gym entry points.

Noisybottom

did a search but couldn't pick up what the max heart rate average is
For me my theoretical max is 177 (220 - 43(my age)). So 80% of my max is about 141, so if I workout for 30 mins and I have 141 BPM average then 300 points, today after 45mins my average was 139, but I forgot to stop my timer when I stopped exercising so for 2 mins it was still timing and measuring my heart rate so caused me to miss out on 100 points. I have a Garmin forerunner device and inset up my profile on the Garmin connect app and the device and it works out my average and the Garmin connect syncs with vitality app.

Peder

Hobbit
Perhaps you reached your 100 point goal yesterday and now the points have reset. Or you had a bad drive which will also make it reset.
Wow vitality drive is quite difficult. Its nice to see how I drive but also very finicky.

newby_investor

Expert Member
This probably varies from gym to gym but mine doesn't have a way to monitor how long you stay there. I've often seen people just come and scan their cards on a Friday evening to get 100 points then mosy on down to Burger King further on in the complex.

ros_b

It's my first week on vitality drive. I had 81 points yesterday. Today it's down to 8 points. Is this normal?
What exactly do you mean by "points"? I also just joined Vitality Drive, it's my first week, and I don't see any "points", only "Scored kilometres".
And on that note - anyone know how long it takes for km to reflect? The Insure app itself shows 91 Scored kilometres, where inside the Vitality Active Rewards app, it shows, 94km, which seems more accurate, according to my own calculations. I did another 6.6km this morning, but can I risk that they haven't already counted one of those journeys? I guess I should go out and drive another 5km or so today just to be safe? (Which seems rather counterproductive - if they're encouraging me to go out on a drive that I wouldn't have done otherwise.... surely increasing the risk of an accident than if I'd just stayed off the roads?)

t_girl

Perhaps you reached your 100 point goal yesterday and now the points have reset. Or you had a bad drive which will also make it reset.

Ah yes, you're right. I just checked the Activity History and I did hit 100. I wasn't aware that it resets if you do. Thanks.