Discovery Vitality 2021

Meister-Man

Expert Member
Could you elaborate? And provide a source ?
Discovery in the past were concerned about health.
Hence vitality health.
Now its a money making venture and for someone to properly get all the vitality benefits they encourage insurance, banking, investments, life policies, RA's etc.
If you are just on vitality health, the benefits have become less (Eg no more gym booster)
A source- You welcome to look all the details up, but this is discovery vitality we are talking about, they don't make finding anything easy.

Bobby01

Discovery in the past were concerned about health.
Hence vitality health.
Now its a money making venture and for someone to properly get all the vitality benefits they encourage insurance, banking, investments, life policies, RA's etc.
If you are just on vitality health, the benefits have become less (Eg no more gym booster)
A source- You welcome to look all the details up, but this is discovery vitality we are talking about, they don't make finding anything easy.
I beg to differ.

I have reached maximum vitality status (I.e the maximum rewards possible) without a life policy, RA or any investment with them.
I have medical aid, car insurance and bank. That’s it.

Medical aid is a necessity, their insurance was the cheapest quote I got, and their bank is relatively cheap and also a necessity. I didn’t have to sign up for anything I didn’t want to get the maximum vitality benefits.

But yea, everyone is entitled to their own opinion

Meister-Man

Expert Member
I beg to differ.

I have reached maximum vitality status (I.e the maximum rewards possible) without a life policy, RA or any investment with them.
I have medical aid, car insurance and bank. That’s it.

Medical aid is a necessity, their insurance was the cheapest quote I got, and their bank is relatively cheap and also a necessity. I didn’t have to sign up for anything I didn’t want to get the maximum vitality benefits.

But yea, everyone is entitled to their own opinion
Exactly. Less money they spend on hospital bills....

How does you having a discovery bank account relate to discovery spending less on hospital bills?

Also, I was giving examples of products required to maximise benefits, I didn't say you needed all of them.
Great that you make it work for you

Jadax

Wait so now if I'm not on Money I only get 25% upfront, with 25% more if I achieve the health targets?

So max I can get is R2,000 for fitness device?

Last edited:

Priapus

Executive Member
How long does the Gym tracker take to update once you have visited a gym (Virgin in this case)

Did my first session this morning.

I am seriously considering switching to Discovery bank. I already have an account with the bank - wanted to try it out when they opened up. One reason is FNB seems to be falling behind on innovation; eg Apple Pay.

I wonder if Discovery Bank can make international payments?

Meister-Man

Expert Member
That's cool, just bought a voucher. Going to get wife to get another. I think we can get 2 vouchers each? Total of R1000 for R60.
Yip, well done discovery.
And thanks for including even us regular vitality health only members.

Koosvanwyk

I wonder if Discovery Bank can make international payments?
You cannot EFT into a foreign bank account. You can use your CC to purchase online from foreign vendors and you can use your CC at international POS terminals.

Priapus

Executive Member
You cannot EFT into a foreign bank account. You can use your CC to purchase online from foreign vendors and you can use your CC at international POS terminals.
Yes, I’m aware of that.

I’m able to make “EFT” ie SWIFT payments from my FNB account to my UK bank account.
Seems this is not possible with Discovery.

johnjm

Expert Member
Can someone help me understand the vitality active rewards to miles?

I understand that on needs to spend minimums etc to qualify but what period is applied to the conversion ?

Looks like they take say April’s rewards points and convert it to miles in May?

Hackson

Can someone help me understand the vitality active rewards to miles?

I understand that on needs to spend minimums etc to qualify but what period is applied to the conversion ?

Looks like they take say April’s rewards points and convert it to miles in May?

Yes, something like that.

So during the month of April, they'll tell you 2 things:
1. Spend this much to increase your reward percentage points.
2. Increase the number of points to move up from say silver to gold, etc to increase reward percentage.

Once the month ends, you are locked to the achieved percentage points.
And then during the month, as you get exercise points, they give you back a percentage of your points as miles.
So say you hit 700 points during the week of 3 April to 9 April and for April your percentage like mine is 15% then you get 105miles on the following Thursday.

hj007

Expert Member
Has anyone had their healthyfood cash back reduce considerably since last year? From R500-R1k per month down to like R200-R400 per month? Just thought it was a January thing at first.

I'm on med.aid, vitality, and car insurance. No bank, life or invest with them.
It still says 25% with preferred partner. No change in spend habits.

Is there a link on the site anywhere where you can see the monthly calcs for healthyfood cash back or did something change? Is bank required now?

duckgray

Has anyone had their healthyfood cash back reduce considerably since last year? From R500-R1k per month down to like R200-R400 per month? Just thought it was a January thing at first.

I'm on med.aid, vitality, and car insurance. No bank, life or invest with them.
It still says 25% with preferred partner. No change in spend habits.

Is there a link on the site anywhere where you can see the monthly calcs for healthyfood cash back or did something change? Is bank required now?
it could be because at this point last year, discovery were doubled your cash backs during the initial lockdown phase.

hj007

Expert Member
it could be because at this point last year, discovery were doubled your cash backs during the initial lockdown phase.
possibly, thanks, hadn't remembered the double.

Although in 2019 it was also R500+ versus the R200 this year. I know our PnP sometimes has a wobbly and doesn't get recorded and they're our main partner.
Dropped them a message, let's see.