Drifta from DStv Mobile: true anytime, anywhere viewing?

Wyzak

Expert Member
I'm in a area with supposed coverage, yet I struggle with my signal everyday. Maybe I should write to the ASA :D

pixel_ninja

Expert Member
I almost bought this, luckily I enquired about coverage, and surprise surprise, EL aint got none

Happy Camper

Expert Member
How can they even release this service into the market where there is limited coverage per province! Multichoice seems to be under the impression that the people wanting this service will be mobile and always within a city/area where there is decent coverage...

Corporates milking the unsuspecting consumer once again through shabby and misleading advertising...MEH! :confused: :sick: :erm:

nelwa

Expert Member
It seems that the ASA is completely biased - how is this anywhere anytime slogan not false advertising? I'm sure that if CellC advertised broadband anytime anywhere, they would rule against CellC.

MickeyD

RIP
“This is somewhat of a niche product and as such a customer would likely familiarise himself to some extent before purchase,” the ASA argued.

I agree with this.

Happy Camper

Expert Member
I agree with this.

I don't! They advertise a product, it says anytime anywhere. The average Joe on the street trusts that he is going to get a gadget that will enable him to watch tv anytime anywhere. The customer feels confident in his/her purchase until he tries it out and discovers no reception?!!

To be fair the onus should not be on the consumer to make sure the product advertising is true and transparent, in this case it most certainly is not, if it were then 'TV sometimes in some places' would be more like the slogan they should have used, THIS would have prompted the consumer to now check area availability, no?

Creag

The Boar's Rock
DSTv dodged a bullet here!

A reasonable man wouldn't think to check if the device would have coverage in his neck of the woods if it states "anywhere". Unless it is qualified elsewhere boldly and externally on packaging, a reasonable man would anticipate this loophole.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
Definitely dodgy ruling. I'm right in the middle of a covered area but struggle like hell with reception and filed complaints with DSTV/Multichoice that lead to explanations about trees and other objects around my home interfering with the signal ... just my "bad luck". I found a solution of sorts but it is not how I want it to be. It is definitely not "anywhere" viewing.

convict21

Definitely dodgy ruling. I'm right in the middle of a covered area but struggle like hell with reception and filed complaints with DSTV/Multichoice that lead to explanations about trees and other objects around my home interfering with the signal ... just my "bad luck". I found a solution of sorts but it is not how I want it to be. It is definitely not "anywhere" viewing.

Agreed, the ASA seem to have very interesting interpretations when it suits them.

Sodan

Expert Member
What a rubbish ruling! Shame on you, ASA, shame on you.

Anytime, anywhere means will be interpreted by the hypothetical average person to mean (surprise, surprise) ANYTIME, ANYWHERE, and most certainly not "anytime, anywhere, within our coverage map, if there are no trees or building in the way, and the topography is favourable".

ASA looking like a bunch of idiots on this ruling.

MickeyD

RIP
I don't! They advertise a product, it says anytime anywhere. The average Joe on the street trusts that he is going to get a gadget that will enable him to watch tv anytime anywhere. The customer feels confident in his/her purchase until he tries it out and discovers no reception?!!

To be fair the onus should not be on the consumer to make sure the product advertising is true and transparent, in this case it most certainly is not, if it were then 'TV sometimes in some places' would be more like the slogan they should have used, THIS would have prompted the consumer to now check area availability, no?
Ummmm.... you did see that I only agreed with a certain part of the ruling, did you?

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
I was looking at getting one of these devices but changed my mind for two reasonsfirstly the coverage map. It is a bit pointless as I travel a bit and DON'T need the device at home. I have a HD PVR with dual view for good measure. So more than enough channels to watch. I need it when I am in some B&B with no decent TV channels in the middle of wherever and if the map is coverage is bad as it is the chances of it working are quite low. The second reason was the channel selection could not seem sitting down and tapping into channel O

JoE

Dodgy ruling indeed. They forget that the average man on the street does not have an internet connection. They get away with it because they likened the device to a cellphone and discontinued the ad. I've had the drifta and I stay in an affluent area in durban and could not pick up a signal so I returned the device. It's rubbish imo.

MickeyD

RIP
I have no bones with you bro, I disagreed completely on the false advertising. :) sorry if i sounded confrontational.
No problems...

I have encountered plenty of confusion over the Drifta. I bought one so that I can catch the IPL, S15 and F1 while at work and 99% of my staff did not know what it was. Some of their questions were hilarious.

So, I agree that the initial advert was very misleading!

pjbuys

very misleading! got mine for 6 months now, and still waiting for coverage in Somerset-west

I am one of those who actually cancelled DSTV, and using internet to watch whatever i want, Including Sports,

Just get the coverage everywhere, Multichoice