aadil-old

Banned
No place for negative sods

hahaha. this world cup is gonna be the worst ever and this country will be exposed for the bunch of useless people running it

Sure you hate Telkom, Poison Ivy and a bunch of other idiots but how do you justify condemning an event like the World Cup?

Even if you have no faith in the Local Organising Committee (LOC), surely you have faith that FIFA will ensure that everyone does their work properly, because there's simply too much riding on the event.

2010 will be the best world cup ever. I know this and most of the country knows this. When all you pessimistic w***ers finally see the stadiums completed, maybe then you'll realise how brilliant it's going to be.

Sure you're entitled to your opinion but your constant whining about Telkom and all the other scum, has reduced you to a negative sod.

In 1000 days, I look forward to telling you I told you so.

PS. I recently saw the artists impressions of the Cape Town and Durban stadiums. I can't help but love it. It looks amazing especially with the ocean in the background (and the mountains for ct).

a-person

Expert Member
Letter to Ivy:

Dear Ivy

Why are you so stupid?

Fvck off and die.

Regards

South Africa

DblD

Will anyone of those sleepyheads in government going to put a dot on poison ivies incompetencies and let her go, cos clearly she is not capable of making any executive decisions that matter.

Conspirator

Any problem can be overcome with enough taxpayer's money...

geoffr said:
Unfortunately, there is not enough satellite capacity available.
They will make the capacity available. With rolling capacity blackouts for Home-ADSL users if necessary.

TheREV

Expert Member
2010 will be the best world cup ever. I know this and most of the country knows this. When all you pessimistic w***ers finally see the stadiums completed, maybe then you'll realise how brilliant it's going to be.
<snip>
<snip>

Ok, I won't say "I told you so" when it all falls apart in one massive cock-up. Not to mention the Greenpoint white elephant that will be taken over by skwattas within a year. Not to mention my frikken rates that will go up again to cover the costs. Not to mention the laughing stock we will all be.

What a bunch of bananas.

Glordit

Expert Member
LOL! There is not enough bandwith CURRENTY!!
If they call a 1GB cap per person alot wait till a Europen person comes here on average they use 3-7GB's A DAY!! :eek: oh well mebey they won't as you know telkom says 384 is lightning fast ADSL :rolleyes:

As for the worldcup what a joke! No bandwith, no HD T.V, no power [imagine all those T.V's and Stadiums draining power!! and with 200, 000+ people using the internet in S.A when the soccer starts who knows what is going to happen?

The Staduims are a mess here in PE I think they are 20% complete [they had to "remove"
people from thier homes and established clubs to "create jobs" it is also in a realy realy stooooooooooooopid place in town... Oh! and what do we do with the Staduim when its done?? WE DON'T EVEN HAVE A PSL SOCCER TEAM FOR THE EASTERN CAPE!?!?!

What about the people that were hoping to get to watch the soccer but the bus load?? they will be told to go away and I can see a riot, not to mension that S.A will be the last to get tickets after corprates and S.A sport players hav had thier pick.

I am sorry but I think 2010 will be a disaster for the record books... and I will be affraind to say that I am from S.A thank-you S.A government you have just officaly F***ED UP THE COUNTRY ONCE AGAIN....
OH
AN SCREW YOU IVY!! STUPID MOTHER-F****

Glordit

Expert Member
:rolleyes:
Sure you hate Telkom, Poison Ivy and a bunch of other idiots but how do you justify condemning an event like the World Cup?

Even if you have no faith in the Local Organising Committee (LOC), surely you have faith that FIFA will ensure that everyone does their work properly, because there's simply too much riding on the event.

Sure you're entitled to your opinion but your constant whining about Telkom and all the other scum, has reduced you to a negative sod.

PS. I recently saw the artists impressions of the Cape Town and Durban stadiums. I can't help but love it. It looks amazing especially with the ocean in the background (and the mountains for ct).

*cough* works for [insert majour 2010 sponsor here] *cough*

I recently saw the artists impressions of the Cape Town and Durban stadiums. I can't help but love it. It looks amazing especially with the ocean in the background (and the mountains for ct

Oh my? but that to do after the world cup?

Nutcracker

Right back @ aadil

Condemn the world cup!!! Never!! It's a huge financial injection for the country. Look what the 1995 Rugby WC and the 2001 Cricket WC did. Lots of jobs, major income and not to mention the lower alcohol prices.

By the time that FIFA comes and wants to fix what the LOC has messed up, it will be to late.

Ok, the problem with this is that the stadiums have to be completed first. I know contractors, I work in the Century City area in CPT and with building coming up like mushrooms, they ALWAYS miss their deadline. There are only so many contractors, but with their power combined, they might just be Captain Planet.

We aren't negative. We are realistic. 1000 Days? Sounds a lot, but head my words, IF they are gonna make the 2010 deadline, it is going to be with the closest of margins.

Of course you would like it. It's smog free and there aren't any taxi's.

Nutcracker

Good question, but I would think that FIFA will sue someone if SA doesn't life up to the requirements.

Oupoot

I dont believe the World Cup will be a mess up. We have hosted RWC 95, African Cup of Nations 96, Cricket WC 2003, T20 2007 and so far none of them have been a disaster. They have been world class events. Yes, 2010 is probably 10 times bigger than these competitions, but we have done it.

Oupoot

However, there may be problems that we did not think of. National and international bandwith is critical to international perceptions as to the success of the world cup. I mean, if they are not able to see the events live (most likely in HD), they would perceive it a disaster.

Why dont we make estimates about the total bandwith that will be necessary? Here are my own estimates:

Inside SA: The TV signal within SA will most likely be the existing signal, with only the pay-TV channels likely to broadcast games in HD. Lets assume a maximum of 2 million households & businesses (including the 400,000 intl visitors in SA not at the specific stadium) watching it in SA on HD. And another 8 million watching it in standard TV. Realistic only about 50% will be watching any match at a specific time. But what about those who will be watching it over the net / on their mobile phones? Lets assume about 1 million in total (50% of 2million with BB access). Will the download be from SA servers (i.e. will only require national bandwith for SAns watching the games) or from international servers (requiring international access in both directions)?

International: Live broadcasts of matches which will probably will require an estimated 20Gb/s access. Assume they schedule it so that a maximum of 2 games take place simultaneously, i.e. 40Gb/s access is required. I think that is about the total capacity of Neotel & Telkom combined on SAT3/SAFE. But that is in addtion to national requirements for the normal functioning of the SA economy, which by all estimates will be much higher than SAT3/SAFE can provide at that time. Will SA citizens then have restricted international access when matches are broadcast? These estimates excludes the 400,000 visitors also accessing international sites (for a variety of purposes), which may be an additional 5-10GB/s access at any given time. It may be more, up to 100Gb/s given that accepted bandwith in Europe may be 50 - 100Mb/s, or even as high as 1Gb/s given that 4G technology is expected to be commercially available internationally in 2009/10.

What else will we require bandwith for? Newspapers will require access (they will expect to be able to upload as many photos as they take for every match), as will radio broadcasts. What other ICT tech would we require - servers, switches, cell phone towers, etc? IMO, end of 2008 for getting these estimates will be too late given the lead time necessary to implement these. Luckily MTN, Vodacom & Neotel has already started doing their planning and is expanding SA ICT capacity and not waiting for govt to make their estimates.

Tns

Executive Member
i knew this ivy was thick headed but hell even this is worse than before

woohoooo gravy train

feo

Honorary Master
Well if Ivy can allow all these other upcoming cables to land in SA then we won't have a bandwidth problem. :mad: