• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Latest One-Day Giveaway - Win a Google Home Mini Smart Speaker and a Mystery Gadget. Enter Here.

Entry Level Cars

NixLynch

Hi!

If you had to go the option of brand new, what entry level cars would be a good option?
Also, any strong feelings on the manual vs automatic divide?

WAslayer

Expert Member
Like most things, what's your budget..?

There is entry level like Datsun go, then there is entry level like BMW 1 series with a massive price difference between the two...

Cr419

Executive Member
For me at the moment it would be the grand i10. I got one as a rental currently and it pleasantly surprised me, to the extend that I'm seriously considering trading my SO's up in on one. Might test drive the auto option to compare. I sighed when I saw what they were giving me, was hoping on a new vivo as I haven't driven one yet, but now I kind of like the little screamer.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Can't beat the Renault Sandero on value for money and affordable parts, the other small cars tend to be a little expensive on parts, defying their entry level tag. I would however not be too strict on brand new, I would look for specials from demos to low mileage cars.

thechamp

Honorary Master
For me at the moment it would be the grand i10. I got one as a rental currently and it pleasantly surprised me, to the extend that I'm seriously considering trading my SO's up in on one. Might test drive the auto option to compare. I sighed when I saw what they were giving me, was hoping on a new vivo as I haven't driven one yet, but now I kind of like the little screamer.
As long as you go for the 1.2l Grand i10, it punches way above it's weight in terms of power.

NixLynch

Budget wise, the lower the installment the better, but I was actually looking at the Hyundai Grand i10, so that price range is good. Renault though, are there any issues with parts? Would any of you choose the Renault over the Hyundai?

Cr419

Executive Member
I would much rather push the UP to 200k km than replace it with a sandero, some here like it, I don't. The December rental the company organized us for a quick trip in joburg was a sandero, it was a hateful piece of crap.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Budget wise, the lower the installment the better, but I was actually looking at the Hyundai Grand i10, so that price range is good. Renault though, are there any issues with parts? Would any of you choose the Renault over the Hyundai?
I would actually, more space, cheaper than the Hyundai, it has all the features you need in a modern car and it will be cheaper to maintain in the long run since I keep my cars for longer beyond warranties and service plans.
There are no issues with parts.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Not so much feeling the Sandero, was looking at the Renault Kwid, but reviews not so great.
Stay away from the Datsun Go and the Kwid. Pick and choose from other makes, Suzuki has decent specials sometimes, check their Ignis perhaps if you are into that type of cars.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Hi!

If you had to go the option of brand new, what entry level cars would be a good option?
Also, any strong feelings on the manual vs automatic divide?
Well, I actually did it. Took the new Suzuki Swift and not regretting it one bit. Depends on the type of driving you do though, it's fine for the occasional 200-300km trip but completely the wrong option if it's a regular long distance commute.

As for manual vs automatic - drive the car and decide if you can live with it. I like auto but both the Renault and Suzuki autos aren't great.

EDIT: If you can, spend the extra $$$ and get leather seats

NixLynch

Thanks for all the advice. I'm a bit of an anxious driver (near miss hijacking incident a few years back), so automatic just feels more comfortable. So that, and price, are big deciding factors.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Thanks for all the advice. I'm a bit of an anxious driver (near miss hijacking incident a few years back), so automatic just feels more comfortable. So that, and price, are big deciding factors.
Nobody is going to try hijack a Swift.

But if you are nervous, one thing the Swift (GL model) lacks is auto locking doors when you start driving. So if you go for it know that you'll need to make a conscious effort to lock the doors.

There's also the Picanto with a possibly better auto box. Never test drove it though.

Sumen

Expert Member
Maybe also look at 2 year old vehicles, you will be able to get a car from the compact hatch segment, most of the cars from that segment have better Autos than entry level vehicles, such as the Opel Corsa, Kia Rio, Hyundai i20, Suzuki Baleno, Mazda 2, Ford Fiesta.