FNB Fusion

t_girl

Interesting that I never heard of the FNB Fusion Account until this thread a couple months ago and now I'm getting SMSs from FNB asking me to convert.

wir

When I was picking up my Fusion card the other day, they offered me a credit card as well. Anyone know a reason why I'd need a fusion card plus a credit card?

bar1

Expert Member
so I upgraded last month, and been waiting for my private credit card to be canceled but guess I have to cancel it myself.
is it something i can just do via the portal or do i need to call?

zerocool2009

Expert Member
so I upgraded last month, and been waiting for my private credit card to be canceled but guess I have to cancel it myself.
Have you tried secure chatting via your phone or online to submit the request ?

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
I don't think it gets canceled automatically.
I emailed my banker after the fusion account became active and she canceled the credit card.

Solitude

Expert Member
I just changed my cheque account to a fusion account and I'm keeping my credit card. At least that's what my banker recommended I should do.

tehtorq

When I tried to convert to a Fusion card earlier this year, the level of knowledge FNB staff had about this product was shocking. A branch manager had no idea what it was, and basically googled it in front of me after the initial consultant said "I shouldn't have taken you" when I asked about the difference between Fusion and Credit cards.

I was then put into some "we'll call you" queue (twice as I enquired again via FNB's phone support a couple days later) and no call ever materialized. Shocking service.

chopsky

Expert Member
Clearly the bankers/consultants have no clue what they're talking about. If you have a Fusion account, you should not need a credit card too. It is quite literally a 'fusion' account - fuses credit and cheque into one.

Last edited:

Solitude

Expert Member
Why?
I thought the whole point of the fusion account it to bundle cheque and credit in one.
I'm not entirely sure. The only reason why I got the fusion account is to help get the points for my ebucks level. I may just cancel the credit card in any case.

t_girl

I'm not entirely sure. The only reason why I got the fusion account is to help get the points for my ebucks level. I may just cancel the credit card in any case.
Having both a fusion card and credit card is just an easy way for the bank to make more money out of you. The mnthly fee for a fusion alone is the same as a debit + cc bundle. so you're basically paying the bundle price + the extra credit card... If you don't need the CC, rather cancel it.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
You usually have to settle it and then request cancellation.

Your private banker should have handled all of this.

bar1

Expert Member
my private banker is useless .....i am actually going to try and swap him.

Edit: and when i say useless i am being nice, i sent him a few emails and he just ignores me, since then i didn't bother.

t_girl

my private banker is useless .....i am actually going to try and swap him.

Edit: and when i say useless i am being nice, i sent him a few emails and he just ignores me, since then i didn't bother.
From what I've heard/read most of them are useless. When I was doing my research on whether to upgrade to PC from premier, they seemed like the number 1 reason clients downgrade back to premier.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
From what I've heard/read most of them are useless. When I was doing my research on whether to upgrade to PC from premier, they seemed like the number 1 reason clients downgrade back to premier.
Yup I downgraded from Private to Premier because I just didn't see the value there and similar experiences of private banker being useless.

Then through that transition, their assistant took over and he was amazing and I actually asked is there any way he could manage my account if I stayed on Private and then it was typical red tape bullshit.

So much for retention.

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
The only reason I upgraded was because of ebucks.
Earning eb5000-6000 more than I used to because of the higher limits (or up to R1k after using the 40% discount)

My broker also does not respond very quickly but she is at least a bit handier than the premier suite.

Messed up my account twice after upgrading though.
First created my fusion account and then canceled it again instead of my credit card.
Then my account got canceled once more because they did not send me some form I had to complete.