General Photography

You can make one yourself for less than R20. All you need is a 2.5mm audio jack and a toggle switch. Most small electronics stores should be able to supply this for you.

The infra-red remotes also work nicely, allowing you to open and close the shutter at will.
 
Hi guys.

Do you know of any little nice freeware program for creating simple photo collages? Nothing fancy.

I've got this neat little app on my Samsung Galaxy S3 that does exactly what I need. App is called Photo Grid and I would like a similar program to use on the PC.

My Google skills have let me down and I only got software that is too complicated, slow or online. And most of the online stuff also embeds watermarks.

Here are a few examples of what the mobile app does. Very quick and very simple.

29b99635-f618-0d39.jpg

29b99635-f63f-ef8f.jpg

29b99635-f64d-3f78.jpg
 
There was a picture posted in a link which showed a plane taking off, or was it landing, and the lights from the plane on the ground until it flew away was clearly visible in the picture, what do you call that sort of picture and how can I get my camera to do that?

I have a Samsung WB150F Smart camera.
 
Yes thanks, that is the one dtba, sorry koffiejunkie I should have found it and referred to it.

How do they do that, this is my first proper camera and I want to experiment a bit.
 
Yes thanks, that is the one dtba, sorry koffiejunkie I should have found it and referred to it.

How do they do that, this is my first proper camera and I want to experiment a bit.

As far as I know, they take the photo with a very long exposure, i.e. leaving for shutter open for 30 seconds.

Here is an example I took at a party one night, all you need is a manual setting and a tripod

176605131401.jpg


I took this photo with a point and shoot camera so it's not that great but a good example.

See those fire trails in the pool, they are actually just floating candles moving in the wind.
 
As far as I know, they take the photo with a very long exposure, i.e. leaving for shutter open for 30 seconds.

Here is an example I took at a party one night, all you need is a manual setting and a tripod

176605131401.jpg


I took this photo with a point and shoot camera so it's not that great but a good example.

See those fire trails in the pool, they are actually just floating candles moving in the wind.

aah ha so if the shutter is open for longer the lens is taking in more "info" before it closes so if the item is moving then it almost like captures a few more frames rather then capture 1 frame which it would normally do?

on this camera I have aperture priority and shutter priority and manual, am I assuming right that it would be one of those settings I would use?
 
aah ha so if the shutter is open for longer the lens is taking in more "info" before it closes so if the item is moving then it almost like captures a few more frames rather then capture 1 frame which it would normally do?

on this camera I have aperture priority and shutter priority and manual, am I assuming right that it would be one of those settings I would use?

It's more the setting shutter and leaving it open for the required time, in that photo I used the max for that camera which was 30 seconds.

You will of course have to keep the camera as still as possible, a tripod helps a lot.

I remember once I setup my camera with the tripod aiming at the floor, I then put markings on the floor at the corners of the area the camera was pointing, I then used a 30 second shutter timer and used a laser to draw & make cool patterns, very cool stuff :)
 
It's more the setting shutter and leaving it open for the required time, in that photo I used the max for that camera which was 30 seconds.

You will of course have to keep the camera as still as possible, a tripod helps a lot.

I remember once I setup my camera with the tripod aiming at the floor, I then put markings on the floor at the corners of the area the camera was pointing, I then used a 30 second shutter timer and used a laser to draw & make cool patterns, very cool stuff :)

nice, thanks man.

I have something here I want to take a picture of and want it to look similar to what you guys posted.
 
nice, thanks man.

I have something here I want to take a picture of and want it to look similar to what you guys posted.

Awesome, all the best of luck, I've been playing with my new camera all day, cant put the damn thing down :)
 
Awesome, all the best of luck, I've been playing with my new camera all day, cant put the damn thing down :)

Thanks man, i have been experimenting since I got it and this machine has tons of settings that I don't even know what they used for but we carry on regardless.

Enjoy it your side too.
 
I posted my first droplet picture in the competition thread and it must have been just a lucky shot because no matter how I tried to replicate the action I could not do it again like that one.

SAM_2906.JPG
 
Anyone know how I can keep the shutter on my 400D open for more than 10 minutes without having to hold the shutter button down?
Hi - I've just joined this forum a few minutes ago...
My Nikon D5100 accomplishes very long exposures by setting the shutter speed to "Bulb"
 
Hi - I've just joined this forum a few minutes ago...
My Nikon D5100 accomplishes very long exposures by setting the shutter speed to "Bulb"

Not sure, but I think you can load Magic Lantern onto the 400D. If that's the case you can either set the bulb mode to open the shutter and close it on two separate triggers, which can either be the remote release cable or waving in front of the fact detection sensor.
 
Not sure, but I think you can load Magic Lantern onto the 400D. If that's the case you can either set the bulb mode to open the shutter and close it on two separate triggers, which can either be the remote release cable or waving in front of the fact detection sensor.

While I have my doubts that you can load magic lantern, primarily a video app, you can load chdk to enhance the 400D. http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X