GPU--bios questions?

The Rookie

Well Hello again to all you hardware guru's, Hope you are in the best of health.
new year, new questions if I may?

ok, ok, I'll get started.

So I've built this pc, but the thing that's really annoying me to the point of... is the GPU fan. Honestly to say that this thing makes noise is an understatement.
So the GPU in question, is an MSI radeon hd 5570.
It sounds like the fan is running at full speed and no matter what I try to slow it down, just nothing will work.

I've tried:
1. Rivatuner. but not able to get to the customise option?
2. ATI catalyst, with no difference at all.
3. RTE where one can manually set the fan speed and of course flash the bios of the card with the new changes.
and finally,
4. Unplugging the cable from the card. wow, what a difference!
But, the problem as you guessed is that the card gets really hot.

1. Are there any ways in which I could silence this *** GPU?
2. Can one get a PCI-e video card without a fan?

and now for a totally different question.

So last year, I've done the most stupid thing by well, flashing the bios in windows, something I'll never do again.
3. now, is there such thing as a bios kit? I've heard that you can get a flasher and some blank bios chips to flash the bios on to. Any place that offers this in South Africa?

As always, thanks in advance for replies if any.

Have a great day,

DamduikerZA

Expert Member
Hardware related you can check for an aftermarket fan.Choice will be yours if you want single fan or double fan setup.Nowadays you get good quality fans that isn't so noisy.

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
Also, most newer GPU's tend to need to have two slots open at the back where you screw it in, the 2nd slot for the air to exhaust. I once in my haste forgot to pull out the 2nd slide, hence blocking the airflow. Luckily I picked it up very quickly. Dont make the same mistake as me!

The Rookie

@all,

Thanks much indeed for the information/advice. I think I'm going to settle for an aftermarket cooler, as Kelevra posted. didn't know one can change coolers on GPU's. These software based utilities just aint doing it for me, I honestly think that one can't control the fan speed on this card.

Thanks again guys,

Have a great day.

GreyBush

Executive Member
@all,

Thanks much indeed for the information/advice. I think I'm going to settle for an aftermarket cooler, as Kelevra posted. didn't know one can change coolers on GPU's. These software based utilities just aint doing it for me, I honestly think that one can't control the fan speed on this card.

Thanks again guys,

Have a great day.

So just to clarify, you have tried MSI afterburner?

The Rookie

Hello,

Yep, I've tried afterburner, with no luck unfortunately.
This card I think, doesn't allow for fan control.

Ok guys, I've tried finding a cooler for the msi radeon hd 5570 but couldn't come across coolers that are compatible with this card.

Could you guys please suggest a fanless card that I could get please???

I'm wanting my pc to be as silent as possible.

Have a great day,

Jimmy-Z

I used a Zalman vf3000A cooler on my 6950 (after trimming one of the heatsinks) Not sure if its compatible with the 5570, but there was virtually no sound from the card & it ran about 10/15C cooler. With the stock cooler, it sounded like a jet engine taking off. lol