Handy Must Know Linux Applications

reneg8or

i would like to move over to linux full time but it's just not graphics friendly enough yet. so far the audio player that works the best for me is Exaile but i would like to find something closer to MediaMonkey or Foobar (both windows apps). on the graphics app front Inkscape is very good, i use it over adobe illustrator on windows, the gimp however is close to useless as a professional image editor.

uTorrent - Deluge BitTorrent Client
Dos emulator - ScummVM (for those old games)
IDE - Aptana
Clementine is also a very nice media player - Give it a try.

Graphic designers may find Xsara Extreme useful.

uGet - Download Manager
uGet is an Open Source download manager application for GNU/Linux developed with GTK+, which also comes packaged as a portable Windows app.

uGet uses very few resources while at the same time packs an unparalleled powerful feature set. These features include a Queue, Pause/Resume, Multi-Connection (with adaptive segment management), Mirrors (multi-source), Multi-Protocol, Advanced Categorization, Clipboard Monitor, Batch Downloads, Individualized Category Default Settings, Speed Limiting, Total Active Downloads Control, and so much more!
http://uget.visuex.com/

FFF4Skin

Oh Gawd please stop... Guys, your doing it wrong. So your noob. Welcome to Linux. It's a beautiful distro. Since its Mint its Debian based. Debian being the true opensources free software pioneer.

The first rule of thumb. Know a few things about your distro, know what its X-windows runs on, general cases its KDE/GNome. Application with names like Kwallet are mainly KDE based but can be run on GNOME with a bit of work. where as Gparted should kinda be hinting Gnome...

Your best bet is to the following:

1: Open up a CLI.
2 Familiarize yourself with APT the synaptic packagemanager.
3: Use APT(CACHE|GET) to search for and install only things you need and are supported by your distro. I.E:
3b: lets say you install or want to install google chrome, here are the steps that would be wise:
$apt-cache search chrome
#That will list all the things related to the search for chrome
#You will then see a list of printed output as follows:
google-chrome-beta - The web browser from Google
google-chrome-stable - The web browser from Google
google-chrome-unstable - The web browser from Google
#From here you can see what it is you want to install, that would be achieved by doing this:
$apt-get install google-chrome-stable

Once thats done its all smooth sailing provided your distro adds the menu entries into whatever GUI/X it uses.

Be careful of just installing things. Linux can break and it does and its almost always user error.

Sorry if i ranted, just had someone the other day installing skype on a debian wheezy desktop and he literally uninstalled all x64 libraries on his system... happens.... but there are still people who can be saved...

MyWorld

Executive Member
Errrmmmm, what are you on? Lay off it for a while and post again since what you said, made no sense.

FFF4Skin

Nothing is wrong with skype on debian. its just a process to install.

You need to add the x86 architecture. Download the deb file from skype.com. install it using dpkg and then run apt-get install -f.

Alternatively you can preinstall the requirements for what is needed for skype.

Tinuva

The Magician
Nothing is wrong with skype on debian. its just a process to install.

You need to add the x86 architecture. Download the deb file from skype.com. install it using dpkg and then run apt-get install -f.

Sorry I fell for a troll who said it was bad on debian :p

FFF4Skin

It happens... There are plenty of those out there... :)

Generally wise to watch the people who are actually the innovators of the industry.

General purpose use:

BSD = #1
Deebian = #1 Most cases
Kfreebsd = Debian userland with BSD kernel.
Illumos = # Watch that space... these guys will change how cloud services work in the future. Also Illumos is a solaris system using Debians style deployment.

Thats a testimony in itself :)

ginggs

Super Grandwizard
Super Moderator
Sorry if i ranted, just had someone the other day installing skype on a debian wheezy desktop and he literally uninstalled all x64 libraries on his system... happens.... but there are still people who can be saved...

I'm tempted to blame the Skype package here.

I had a similar problem trying to install google-earth from Google on Ubuntu Saucy 64-bit. It turns out the google-earth "64-bit" package actually contains a 32-bit binary and a dependency on ia32-libs, which no longer exists in Saucy (and since Sunday, is no longer in Debian either). The google-earth 32-bit package is the one to install, but it is missing dependencies on at least libfontconfig1:i386 libxrender1:i386 libglu1-mesa:i386 libglib2.0-0:i386 libsm6:i386, so these need to be manually installed.

Google's google-chrome 64-bit package does actually contain a 64-bit binary, however.

FFF4Skin

The reality for the x86 arch is simply the lazy part on the developer of the application. It has no real draw back on the system, that being said its unlikely that debian will drop multiarch. After all its Debian. The people who will run the 2.6 Kernel till its forced to retire xD

As for the person I mentioned in my first post. They failed to understand the dangers of using APTITUDE and APT- on the same system :)

Tinuva

The Magician
It happens... There are plenty of those out there... :)

Generally wise to watch the people who are actually the innovators of the industry.

General purpose use:

BSD = #1
Deebian = #1 Most cases
Kfreebsd = Debian userland with BSD kernel.
Illumos = # Watch that space... these guys will change how cloud services work in the future. Also Illumos is a solaris system using Debians style deployment.

Thats a testimony in itself :)
Speaking of the Illumos kernel, I absolutely love it. My fileserver is now running OpenIndiana (fork from OpenSolaris) which uses the Illumos kernel, and the stability is rock solid, better than Linux was, and Linux was already great.

ZFS on Illumos is just amazing, the few issues that ZFSonLinux has, is just not there, and no memory wastage.

Also have a bunch of KVM VMs running on top of this OpenIndiana fileserver, which is where I run my Linux and Windows stuff for downloading which I was too lazy to figure out on OpenIndiana. Still, great OS and Kernel for a server, and I can see how they may take over Cloud hosting in the future.

FFF4Skin

Speaking of the Illumos kernel, I absolutely love it. My fileserver is now running OpenIndiana (fork from OpenSolaris) which uses the Illumos kernel, and the stability is rock solid, better than Linux was, and Linux was already great.

ZFS on Illumos is just amazing, the few issues that ZFSonLinux has, is just not there, and no memory wastage.

Also have a bunch of KVM VMs running on top of this OpenIndiana fileserver, which is where I run my Linux and Windows stuff for downloading which I was too lazy to figure out on OpenIndiana. Still, great OS and Kernel for a server, and I can see how they may take over Cloud hosting in the future.
You just gained added respect mate.

MickZA

Executive Member
Convert .xps to .pdf

Standard Bank are apparently shipping account audit reports in the .xps file format, Fedora will open this format with the Evince PDF reader (Adobereader doesn't recognise it) but printing is a problem. In my case a third of the page was missing.

The CLI xpstopdf utility, installed with libgxps-tools for Fedora converts .xps files to .pdf quickly and accurately:
Code:
[mick@mick1 ~]$ xpstopdf ./14April.xps
... outputs 14April.pdf.

It's that easy, xpstopdf seems to be available for most major distros.

LuqmaanMathee

Great Idea D3x
Here is my list of usable Linux applications:

File/Program Downloader-Manager:
- Synaptic Package Manager
- KGet

Download Accelerator
- axel

File Archiving:
- File Roller
- Ark

Mp3 Players:
- Amarok
- LXMusic Player

CD/DVD Writing Software:
- GnomeBaker

CD Ripper/Encoder -> .mp3, .ogg, .wav, .aac etc.
- Asunder CD Ripper

Media Player
-Xmms/Xmms2

Photo Editing:
- Gimp

Photo Viewer:
- GPicView

Digital Camera editing / Webcam:
- GTKam
- Cheese
- wxCam

DVD Player
- Dragon Player

Office Applications:
- Abiword: Basic Word Processor
Open Office
- Base : Database/Queries Management
- Calc : Spreadsheets
- Draw : Pictures, Flow-Charts and Logos editor
- Impress: Slide Shows, Presentations and Web editing
- Math: Formula's and Equations
- Writer: Edit/Create Documents, Reports, Pictures and Web

Web Browsers:
- Chromium Browser
- Konqueror
- Midori

RSS Feed Reader:
- Akregator

IRC Clients:
- irssi/wee-chat
- KvIRC
- Xchat

Online Storage:
- Dropbox

Mail Reader/Editor:
- Kmail

IM:
- Pidgin
- Kopete

Space/File Cleaner:
- Bleachbit

Cache Proxy:
- Squid

Web Editor:
- Aptana Studio
- Kompozer
- BlueFish

C / C# IDE's:
- Monodevelop
- Anjuta IDE

Java IDE:
- Netbeans

Equivelants:
MySQL -- MySQL
PHP -- PHP
Google Gadgets -- Google Gadgets
FireFox -- FireFox
Opera -- Opera
Google Earth -- Google Earth
Teamviewer -- Teamviewer
Pidgin -- Pidgin
Google chrome is also available for Linux but you must get it from the website. So I think you should remove chromium.