Lexmark B2338DW for R457

4 Year warranty
Wireless printing
Duplex
FirstShop has the 3000-page toner for R1553 incl VAT

Reactions: Yuu

Swa

Honorary Master
Me too. In addition a 250GB SSD for R299 with code. The 6TB - I have copied 1TB from my 2.5" drive so far, 3.5 hours. Another 1TB to go. Up from 20MB/s to between 70-110MB/s after enabling disk write caching.
Sounds about right for a 2TB drive. What I'm interested in seeing is how long it takes to copy 6TB from one drive to another.

Lupus

Honorary Master
If anyone is in the market for a good Mono Laser printer:

Lexmark B2338DW for R457

4 Year warranty
Wireless printing
Duplex
Not a bad price at all.

Botha22

If anyone is in the market for a good Mono Laser printer:

Lexmark B2338DW for R457

4 Year warranty
Wireless printing
Duplex
PC link has the same printer for R1181, so that's a "massive" bargain.

• Wow

JamesBoy

Me too. In addition a 250GB SSD for R299 with code. The 6TB - I have copied 1TB from my 2.5" drive so far, 3.5 hours. Another 1TB to go. Up from 20MB/s to between 70-110MB/s after enabling disk write caching.
Yeah there's a disk write commit that slows the copy down. Only issue with caching is you're never really sure when the copy has completed. Still super useful for media backups and more than adequate so far for the read speed required for viewing content from the disk.

enerdude

Expert Member
The 6TB - I have copied 1TB from my 2.5" drive so far, 3.5 hours. Another 1TB to go. Up from 20MB/s to between 70-110MB/s after enabling disk write caching.
If you're copying large files (e.g. 3 GB or bigger for instance) from an modern internal hard drive to a usb 3 ext drive you should be getting 110MB/s on average. I am getting round about this on my 6TB and 8TB seagate expansion drives without changing any write caching.

Did another test copying from one ext usb3 to another ext usb3 hd having both plugged into usb 3 ports and was averaging 70MB /s copying large files

Sounds about right for a 2TB drive. What I'm interested in seeing is how long it takes to copy 6TB from one drive to another.
Not really about the size of the drive but which speed the usb ports and speed the ext drives are. Lots of small files will influence total time needed for copying over 6TB a lot.
If you theoretically only had HD movie files (which is around 3GB each) on a 6TB it would be around 6000GB / 100MB/s = 60000s = 1000 min = 16 hours

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
Not really about the size of the drive but which speed the usb ports and speed the ext drives are. Lots of small files will influence total time needed for copying over 6TB a lot.
If you theoretically only had HD movie files (which is around 3GB each) on a 6TB it would be around 6000GB / 100MB/s = 60000s = 1000 min = 16 hours
My WD and Seagate 2TB is around 60MB/s and takes 6 hours to do a clone. Internal.

Was wondering how long a 6TB takes as more platters usually equals more speed.

enerdude

Expert Member
My WD and Seagate 2TB is around 60MB/s and takes 6 hours to do a clone. Internal.

Was wondering how long a 6TB takes as more platters usually equals more speed.
Yeah cloning is a different scenario though. I have found acronis to be very efficient.
With cloning you can do disk / partition cloning or for instance sector-sector cloning which would take much longer.
Seeing that its internal it also depends on the speed of your SATA controller which is usually not a bottleneck for hds but more for SSDs

Swa

Honorary Master
Yeah cloning is a different scenario though. I have found acronis to be very efficient.
With cloning you can do disk / partition cloning or for instance sector-sector cloning which would take much longer.
Seeing that its internal it also depends on the speed of your SATA controller which is usually not a bottleneck for hds but more for SSDs
I'm using Winhex. It does simultaneous transfer so is more or less equal to write caching. In some aspects it works better when copying an entire drive and I can't notice any difference in speed compared to copying large files with write caching. Only difference will come in when you don't need to copy an entire drive but for a bunch of small files that may even take longer.

enerdude

Expert Member
I'm using Winhex. It does simultaneous transfer so is more or less equal to write caching. In some aspects it works better when copying an entire drive and I can't notice any difference in speed compared to copying large files with write caching. Only difference will come in when you don't need to copy an entire drive but for a bunch of small files that may even take longer.
Winhex does sector-sector cloning which is slower. If you use cloning software like acronis true image you can do disk / partition cloning which is much faster.
Sector-sector cloning is useful in scenarios where you need a 1:1 copy e.g. some software's copy protection methods write to a sector outside the filesystem which needs to be transferred as well.
These days disk / partition cloning is usually enough when upgrading to a larger hard drive and needing to clone the drive.

ABU

Knowing RARU, I'd be surprised if they honour it. Possibly a pricing error.
It is R419 here:

enerdude

Expert Member
It is R419 here:
Nice find. Yeah bought and collected from them before, they are in olivedale, randburg

Edit: Replacement cartridge with 3000 page yield is R1489 at pcshopper

Last edited:

Totempole

Expert Member
It is R419 here:
Nice, so looks like the price is legit then. Awesome deal.

Totempole

Expert Member
Till you have to pay for the toner...
Well, I'm considering grabbing one and holding it until generics become available. Only thing is, I currently have a CISS inkjet, so I'll miss being able to print in colour, even if the quality isn't the best.