Home Connecta Flexi

Jake45

Expert Member
Does anyone else have experience of it working outside of the listed addresses? I am 5 houses away from coverage, so plan to give it a try come August when I'm out of contact with Vodacom.
Also just outside the Fixed LTE coverage area according to the map in the link above and it is working for me. The speed is usually well below 10Mbps. If you want a very fast and reliable connection MTN seems to be the best choice currently.

HibiscusTunes

Expert Member
Does anyone else have experience of it working outside of the listed addresses? I am 5 houses away from coverage, so plan to give it a try come August when I'm out of contact with Vodacom.
I am one block out of coverage at home. I almost never get an LTE connection, but occasionally it's there. Elsewhere is works fine, except at work. There we are in fixed LTE coverage zone but it rarely works.
This is with an iPhone.

Jake45

Expert Member
Going to go this route. Bought two sims already for this purpose, but didn't do the tariff change within 10 days to the Home Connecta Flexi tariff. Annoyed with myself!
If you can switch one of those SIMs to the Supacharge tariff you might be able to score an additional 500MB (for R200 recharge), 500mins (CellC to CellC) and 500SMSs (CellC to CellC) if you first load the airtime onto the Supacharge SIM and then transfer the airtime to the SIM on the Home Connecta Flexi tariff. I have not tried this myself yet but am hoping to do so.

If anybody else is planning on testing the Cell C service, just think carefully about whether to purchase the 5+5GB or the 50+50GB bundle for test purposes. I bought the 5+5GB bundle to save some money and there isn't really enough data to do regular speed tests or streaming checks so I now regret not having bought the 50+50GB bundle to really test the performance. You can use the 50+50GB bundle over two months to get a better idea about the long term performance.

HS2000

Hi, I'm trying to think of this from a business perspective.

Icasa has put a freeze on extra spectrum to networks during covid lockdown.

So these "discounted" /more appropriately priced data is a short term strategy to MTN etc.

CellC is in a different position though.

They are eventually decommissioning all infrastructure & moving over to MTN.

So why would this product hold any minimum usable standard or not be shaped into oblivion aka Rain?

Cellc is desperate to trim costs & sitting with infrastructure until 3 years from now.

They can milk it now regardless of how usable the service is.

They have nothing to lose.

joshuatree

Expert Member
Was at the CellC shop Tyger Valley Shopping Centre today. Bought a SIM for R5, the salesperson did the tariff change to the Home Connecta Flexi tariff, as well as the loading of the R59 5GB+5GB package.

According to them the contract version is fixed LTE, and the prepaid version works wherever there is LTE coverage. Either way I am getting coverage - for some reason we fall outside of their fixed area according to address. Download speeds from a LTE Cat 4 phone between 25 to 40 and upload 5 to 15 roundabout.

Will try it out a bit and make a call eventually before month end to continue with fibre or give this a shot since I suspect the 1TB for R899 valid for 60 days might work for us.

Gudnews

Was at the CellC shop Tyger Valley Shopping Centre today. Bought a SIM for R5, the salesperson did the tariff change to the Home Connecta Flexi tariff, as well as the loading of the R59 5GB+5GB package.

According to them the contract version is fixed LTE, and the prepaid version works wherever there is LTE coverage. Either way I am getting coverage - for some reason we fall outside of their fixed area according to address. Download speeds from a LTE Cat 4 phone between 25 to 40 and upload 5 to 15 roundabout.

Will try it out a bit and make a call eventually before month end to continue with fibre or give this a shot since I suspect the 1TB for R899 valid for 60 days might work for us.
The prepaid is promotional just so you know.

Gudnews

I asked the consultant in Pavillion Durban and he said the special is permanent, go figure.
I would love to be wrong but you and I both know that source is dodgy. I guess it could be permanent if the take up on prepaid outstrips contract by a certain margin, at best though I think you're going to see adjusted pricing on the prepaid when the promo ends.

Last edited:

Jake45

Expert Member
Cell C did offer Fixed LTE packages a few years ago and then abruptly discontinued the service when the performance started to deteriorate badly. I'm not sure whether they have done any further upgrades to their own infrastructure since then or whether MTN will be carrying a sizeable amount of the traffic but my guess is that they will not be able to cope with the demand.

Recently MyBB had an article about the latest uncapped packages that were being offered to government employees through the RT15-21 transversal mobile communications services contract where Cell C was offering uncapped data for R278 per month and Telkom for R350.
https://mybroadband.co.za/news/cell...278-per-month-if-you-work-for-government.html

Hopefully this means that cheaper data will become available to the general public later this year. If Telkom lowers their prepaid LTE pricing to compete with the Home Connecta Flexi products this would be great news for consumers as MTN should do likewise. I think that Telkom last lowered their prepaid LTE pricing in October 2019.

username and 23 others

I get
Code:
Download: 2.63 Mbit/s
Upload: 2.57 Mbit/s
if I'm lucky... Normally get sub 1Mb/s.

Successfully persuaded 3 others to avoid CellC, and they wanted to go big with 1TB data. No one seems interested in our area to lay cables for fibre, so it's back to Telkom for us I guess.

Ironically enough the only good thing I can say about my whole ordeal is that the support staff is excellent. Way better than the likes of Rain. Great communication and they even did a site visit.

joshuatree

Expert Member
I get
Code:
Download: 2.63 Mbit/s
Upload: 2.57 Mbit/s
if I'm lucky... Normally get sub 1Mb/s.

Successfully persuaded 3 others to avoid CellC, and they wanted to go big with 1TB data. No one seems interested in our area to lay cables for fibre, so it's back to Telkom for us I guess.

Ironically enough the only good thing I can say about my whole ordeal is that the support staff is excellent. Way better than the likes of Rain. Great communication and they even did a site visit.
Is this with a LTE Router and not a phone or mifi?

ahf

Hi Guys
So I did a balance check on my 50/50 package and this is what it shows 17.43GB remaining of 30.41GB....now I'm confused here should it not be something like 17GB remaining of 50GB? I mean after all I bought the 50/50....

Screenshot_20210506-075549_Cell C.jpg

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Hi Guys
So I did a balance check on my 50/50 package and this is what it shows 17.43GB remaining of 30.41GB....now I'm confused here should it not be something like 17GB remaining of 50GB? I mean after all I bought the 50/50....

View attachment 1064139
Correct they remove whatever was left of the 50gb when you start a new month and list it as a new bundle with the remaining gb.