Home Connecta Flexi

Jake45

Expert Member
On my B315 router I am unable to access any of the Cell C USSD menus such as *147# if the Preferred Mode under Network Settings is set to 4G only. I have not been able to reconnect on 4G after accessing the USSD menu unless I do a soft Restart from the System menu. I have tried to reconnect to the 4G tower using a Manual Network Search under the Network Settings menu but this does not appear to reestablish the connection.

Unfortunately the data transfer option does not appear to be available for the Home Connecta Flexi package.

It might be possible to score an additional 500MB of free data, 500 Cell C to Cell C mins and SMSs with a 15 day expiry for a R200 recharge by first recharging the R200 airtime onto another SIM card that is on the Supacharge Plan and then transferring the airtime to the SIM card that is configured for the Home Connecta Flexi plan. I have not tried to do this yet but the daily airtime transfer limit on Cell C appears to be R1000 with a monthly cap of R10000.

Last edited:

Gudnews

On my B315 router I am unable to access any of the Cell C USSD menus such as *147# if the Preferred Mode under Network Settings is set to 4G only. I have not been able to reconnect on 4G after accessing the USSD menu unless I do a soft Restart from the System menu. I have tried to reconnect to the 4G tower using a Manual Network Search under the Network Settings menu but this does not appear to reestablish the connection.

Unfortunately the data transfer option does not appear to be available for the Home Connecta Flexi package.

It might be possible to score an additional 500MB of free data, 500 Cell C to Cell C mins and SMSs with a 15 day expiry for a R200 recharge by first recharging the R200 airtime onto another SIM card that is on the Supacharge Plan and then transferring the airtime to the SIM card that is configured for the Home Connecta Flexi plan. I have not tried to do this yet but the daily airtime transfer limit on Cell C appears to be R1000 with a monthly cap of R10000.
Only a prepaid savant knows this kind of move, bravo!

Tector

This article made me go out get a sim and replace our rain (which has gotten very poor - 0.6mbps download down from 20mbps for more than 2 years). I bought the 50gb day and 50gb night home connecta flexi and installed in our B315. Initially got around 6mbps down and up. That soon changed to 2-3mbps down and up and as a bonus loses network on the router every 20 odd minutes. Was unusable. Used all of 500mb and tossed it out. It also doesn't allow port forwarding to access CCTV from outside. Rain does and only drops connection once every two or so days. As much as I hate to say this even rain is better than this. R201 wasted. I ordered Supersonic LTE 60gb day and night for R399pm. You pay peanuts and you get crap service. The end.

Tector

USSD won't work on 4G, it uses 3G / GSM

Jake45

Expert Member
I ordered Supersonic LTE 60gb day and night for R399pm. You pay peanuts and you get crap service. The end.
I think that Afrihost offers the same 60+60GB package for R349. The Afrihost ClientZone web interface also appears to work much better than many of the other resellers with regard to instant data topups and usage statistics.

Initially got around 6mbps down and up. That soon changed to 2-3mbps down and up and as a bonus loses network on the router every 20 odd minutes. Was unusable.
Did you try using the 4G only setting in the B315 to see if that helps with the lockups. When it loses connection does the light switch from green to blue or white? If the router switches to 3G or 2G it does not seem possible to get it back onto 4G without a reset.

Tector

I think that Afrihost offers the same 60+60GB package for R349. The Afrihost ClientZone web interface also appears to work much better than many of the other resellers with regard to instant data topups and usage statistics.

Did you try using the 4G only setting in the B315 to see if that helps with the lockups. When it loses connection does the light switch from green to blue or white? If the router switches to 3G or 2G it does not seem possible to get it back onto 4G without a reset.
Yes but on Supersonic you get the free to use router. Isn't the 349 sim only? B612 is a major upgrade over B315. And yes, I switched to 4G only but Cell C is just a POS cause everyone complaining about the same problem. Still disconnects every couple of minutes.

Edit - it switches to red

I am done with them. Thanks for trying to help though.

MTN is just superior so I will go with that as I use 25gb on average p/m.

Cell C must get their sh*t together if they want to disrupt. They are going rain's route at the moment...

Jake45

Expert Member
Yes but on Supersonic you get the free to use router. Isn't the 349 sim only? B612 is a major upgrade over B315. And yes, I switched to 4G only but Cell C is just a POS cause everyone complaining about the same problem. Still disconnects every couple of minutes.

Edit - it switches to red

I am done with them. Thanks for trying to help though.

MTN is just superior so I will go with that as I use 25gb on average p/m.

Cell C must get their sh*t together if they want to disrupt. They are going rain's route at the moment...
I forgot about the router on Afrihost. I think you need to pay an additional R1500 for a ZTE MF286 but you do get to keep it when you leave. I have been using the 30+30GB MTN/Afrihost Pure LTE plan and it has worked very reliably over the last 15 months.

I think that several of the MTN mobile packages do offer much better value than the Fixed LTE plans but they are only available on contract and MTN billing seems to have many issues. I would like the option of being able to use my internet when I am travelling as well as being able to transfer data onto additional SIM cards which the MTN mobile products appear to offer unlike the Fixed LTE bundles. This My MTN Choice 130GB for R349pm (100GB Anytime Data, 30GB Night Express, 20GB MTN Home Bundle) would suit me better than one of the Fixed LTE deals apart from the contract issues. You can also use the mobile products on any device or router etc. unlike the Fixed LTE plans.

The Cell C service does not work as reliably/fast as my current Afrihost package but I am still considering switching over if it doesn't deteriorate any further as the additional data would be very useful. I'll continue testing the service for the next few weeks before I decide.

Brunette Babe

The nite bundle for the 50G bundle, valid for 180 days is used from midnight until 05:00 AM

^PN
Cell C rep

What are the applicable times for Nite data usage on the Home Connecta Flexi prepaid plan ? ? ?

The Cell C website states midnight to 5:59am are the applicable times.
Is the info on the Cell C website indeed true and correct ? ? ?

Can we have some CLARITY / FINALITY on this issue with regards to the Home Connecta Flexi prepaid plan please.

SlowInternet

Executive Member
This afternoon I was advised by CellC that the tower that I'm connecting to is congested and there is no future plans to upgrade it.

So I presume that I will have to look at something else and not CellC.

• Sad
Reactions: Yuu

Jake45

Expert Member
There isn't much difference in price between the latest MTN Home WiFi packages and the Cell C Home Connecta Flexi bundles. The MTN packages appear to be 24 month contracts but they might also be available on month to month contracts. Hopefully the cheaper pricing will soon be available to Afrihost Pure LTE customers otherwise I think I will be switching over to Cell C despite the inferior performance.

username and 23 others

Nee fok man, CellC!

Just waiting for feedback from the Cell C rep, but things are not looking good. Not gonna waste time like with Rain. I'm bailing this month if speeds do not improve.

So tired...

username and 23 others

What a dumpster fire! Thank god/allah/goddess/fsm its month-to-month. Not wasting my time and money with this kinda treatment and service.

Bye Cell C,

Donavin97

Never thought I’d complain again, but this is getting really bad. I already have an MTN sim and wondering if there data only plans that I can switch too? I am looking for a month to month option. Please note: I am on a farm with no physical address, so Supersonic/Afrihost won’t work for me. Can someone make any suggestions? Here is a screenshot of my current speed. I think it might be congestion. Also it lilooks like MTN roaming isn’t working any longer. IMG_0153.jpg
IMG_0150.jpg
I posted 2 screenshots. Notice the difference in speed from about 2 week’s ago.

• Sad
Reactions: Yuu