How can i start a WISP business

TH Mahp

Hi,
I'm Brian a start-up entrepreneur interested in starting a Wireless Internet Service Provider (WISP) business that specializes in providing Wi-Fi connectivity to the local community and local businesses. How do i go about doing this? what do i need to do in order to get started, what sort of hardware will i need and any other requirements to provide Wi-Fi to my clients.

Thanks

Batista

Executive Member
What is going to set you apart from the 10's of companies that have been around for decades that already offer this service free to their existing clients?

andeshan

What is going to set you apart from the 10's of companies that have been around for decades that already offer this service free to their existing clients?
That's the question for any start-up business.

if you can't out do them, don't bother.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Hi,
I'm Brian a start-up entrepreneur interested in starting a Wireless Internet Service Provider (WISP) business that specializes in providing Wi-Fi connectivity to the local community and local businesses. How do i go about doing this? what do i need to do in order to get started, what sort of hardware will i need and any other requirements to provide Wi-Fi to my clients.

Thanks
Contact WAPA (http://www.wapa.org.za/) they will provide you with the necessary guideline.

Attend training (e.g. Mikrotik, Radwin) hosted by distributors, vendors and workshops. Sign with strong partners.

Do your research, be innovative and differentiate your go-to-market approach/strategy.

WAPA

WAPA representative
Company Rep
Hi Brian

WAPA can certainly assist you with the licensing requirements in order to start operating as well as has a forum for knowledge-sharing which members use to discuss technical issues and hardware capabilities. The rest is up to you, of course, but here is more info on membership:

The Wireless Access Providers' Association (WAPA), established in 2006, is a non-profit industry representative body acting as a collective voice for independent wireless operators in South Africa. WAPA's primary objective is to ensure the sustainability of the licence-exempt wireless access services market. We currently have over 185 members on board to date. More info: http://www.wapa.org.za/

WAPA believes that it is the industry interest that all service providers are properly licensed and can assist you with this process.

If you are operating as a wireless service provider, you need a Class ECS and Class ECNS licence.

- You need a Class ECNS to build a wireless network in your area.
- You need a Class ECS to sell data or voice services over your network.

These licences cost R10 400 each, payable to ICASA upon submission of application. WAPA offers a service to new members helping them with the licencing process, for a fee of R8 300. Once you sign up, we will assist you with the documentation, submission of the application, and following up on your behalf until the licences are issued.

WAPA membership is R550 per month and includes the following benefits:

- Regulatory advice and training
- An industry Code of Conduct
- Press and media exposure
- A forum for knowledge-sharing
- A consumer complaints process
- Interference mitigation
- High site training courses
- A spectrum analyser for use
- Client leads from coverage requests
- Business enabling opportunities
- Members-only discounts
- Participation in industry conferences

Please email me on info@wapa.org.za if you are interested in joining.

Ingi Deutschlander
WAPA General Manager

Last edited:

Dolby

Honorary Master
Agreed - but it could be that no one has coverage in his area/community.

Azimuth

Expert Member
Agreed - but it could be that no one has coverage in his area/community.
To this point, the OP really needs to conduct a sweep of the area, on both 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz bands, to ascertain if this is the case.

Azimuth

Expert Member
Needless to say a feasibility study, business case and ROE/ROI should be done for such a venture. :)