How do I copy a recovery partition?

NomNom

Executive Member
I've getting a Netbook soon and I want to know if there is any way to copy/port the recovery partition to a new hard drive.

The Netbook I am getting comes with a 250GB hard drive and I want to replace it with a 500GB hard drive, but I also want to copy the recovery partition from the new 250GB hard drive to the 500GB one and then put it in,

Is it possible to do this? If so what program could I use?

tl:dr: How do I copy a recovery partition? :confused:

Ryder_JHB

Expert Member
Use something like Ghost to copy the entire drive (incl the recovery partition) over to a new drive!

RoganDawes

Expert Member
Use something like Ghost to copy the entire drive (incl the recovery partition) over to a new drive!

Not too familiar with Ghost, but a Linux boot disk and dd should do the trick. Just make sure you are copying them in the right direction (and not overwriting your 250GB disk with 500GB of nulls :) )

Once the disk is copied over, you can expand your partition and filesystem to fill up the empty space on the 500GB disk.

Ninja*J

Hi, the easiest way would be to use a program name "Easeus". It scans which hard drives you have and provides the options to copy or move partitions. Just select the recovery portion and copy it to portable device.

Cheers

Tim the Techxpert

Expert Member
Hi There,
I would have used Ghost to do it. I had a look at Easeus as well www.easeus.com
They have a range of great tools that could help any business or personal user with a number of tricky tasks. Some of the tools are free others will require a small investment.
I have bookmarked the site in case I need them. Thanks Ninja*j for the suggestion

Regards Tim

NomNom

Executive Member
I've decided to just delete it, I would of liked to have it but it's just too much of a mission to keep.

Last edited:

koeksGHT

Dealer
+1 for ghost.

Use hirens ultimate boot disk, boot into the mini xp, do ghost backup, clone onto new HDD

profit??

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Doesn't the OS give you the option to create backup DVD's as well using an external CD-Writer?
If it does, don't forget to make those.