How many people plan on leaving VC?

Ghost02

Expert Member
I have seen so many people have problems with vodacom and the problems seem to be growing. It would also be a different thing if vodacom was "budget", then people could tell us that we getting what we paying for but in fact most people could be getting more for cheaper. I also notice that alot of people are only with vodacom because they are binded to 24 month contracts so my question is who is moving, just a matter of interest ( could you please post a reason ). I do understand that some people rely on being mobile therefore you have to stick with vodacom but will the rest of you just answer.

Thanks in advance

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
And move where? I've had troubles with VC too, but given the number of rubbish quality calls I've had on MTN-MTN calls, I'm sure as hell not moving to them.

Grouter

Executive Member
Data contract expires March 2009 - not renewing it. Will stay with DSL.
Voice contract expires (after 12 years with VC) in october this year - not renewing it. But simply 'cos I don't need it anymore. Going prepaid, but sticking with VC. (Just to keep my number mainly).

VC data was not what I expected - not needing mobility, I thought the speed difference would be 'phenomenal' - turned out in real terms - browsing, gaming, skyping - to be actually worse than 384 dsl. And now of course the price difference is also 'phenomenal'. Might get a prepaid here and there just so I can use my e220 on my laptop on the odd trip away from home.

Last edited:

pkid

Expert Member
I have a prepaid Vodacom SIM. When my data bundle runs out I am not renewing it. Price was the main factor. Their EDGE speeds are terrible too (I get 4 KB/s) but most of the time I have HSDPA which is not too bad. They are just so much more expensive than Neotel or ADSL.

Going to be using my parent's ADSL line until I can get Neotel coverage and then I will move over the Neotel.

They are going to have to drop their prices!

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I am on PPDB's and loving it. Have had the occasional issue, but nothing that has not been resolved in a reasonable time.

I get good download speeds and often Skype to friends in the UK without hassle.

semaphore

Honorary Master
I want to get out of my contract even to the point where i will pay the penalties. Just because i cannot stand the service anymore, its unstable as hell. I always have full signal and it's slow as hell.

Will be going DSL.

sand_man

Honorary Master
And move where?
And I think that sort of epitomizes the problem right there. In the land of the blind the man with one eye is king so in terms of a mobile broadband product VC is probably the best of a bad bunch.

Having said that I'm in the fortunate position of being in an area where signal is good and the connection is always quick, (between 1000kbps-24kbps) if not consistent.

I would however consider a cybersmart dsl package once my 24 month contract with VC is up but only because I haven't been using 3G on the road. If it's mobility one requires then nothing better than VC definitely not...

JimM

Expert Member
Not sure I'd chose to ever leave Vodacom! I have HSUPA, HSDPA, 3G and EDGE here on Vodacom.

MTN have here GPRS and thats it!

A local MTN cell decided to shut down close by on December 29th 2007 and was only returned to service in late January 2008! There were a lot of upset MTN subscribers on holiday here quite upset at having to drive 7km just to make a cellphone call or pick up voice mail.

Cell C only roams on Vodacom as does Virgin!

Colin62

Executive Member
I am not planning to leave anytime soon. I don't like the pricing, but I acknowledge that that is as much due to the Telkom monopoly and lack of infrastructure development as it is due to Vodacom. (I'd prefer it if they didn't make quite so much profit though - must buy some shares...)

When I sgned my contract, it was the only broadband I could get where I live, no ADSL, no Telkom wi-fi, no i-burst, no MTN signal at all so I was happy to get it. Literally the day after I signed, Telkom said they could give me ADSL, but I'm still happy enough with my 3G. It's more versatile, and at the amount of bandwdth I use, it's not a huge expense.

That said, I doubt I'll renew the contract when it expires, I'll just use pre-paid, and possibly look at ADSL. It'll depend on what looks more stable and obviously price will be a big factor.

Syndyre

Honorary Master
At the moment I've got a voice contract with VC, I've had no real problems and I've got no plans to change, going to confirm my coverage here and then if I can get HSDPA I'll be moving to them for data too.

Colin62

Executive Member
At the moment I've got a voice contract with VC, I've had no real problems and I've got no plans to change, going to confirm my coverage here and then if I can get HSDPA I'll be moving to them for data too.

Do your sums carfully - there is some merit in buying the modem and using pre-paid. It gives you more flexibility (both with the amount of data that you use and the fact that you can hop across to MTN if you're haveing hassles) and the data costs are the same for pre-paid and contract. The only benefit to the contract is the 'free' modem (actually R60 a month more than the straight data will cost you). As I'm using most of my bandwidth and can't get MTN even if I wanted to, I decided that R60 a month for 24 months (R1440) was a good price to pay for a R2000 modem.

Colin

Syndyre

Honorary Master
Do your sums carfully - there is some merit in buying the modem and using pre-paid. It gives you more flexibility (both with the amount of data that you use and the fact that you can hop across to MTN if you're haveing hassles) and the data costs are the same for pre-paid and contract. The only benefit to the contract is the 'free' modem (actually R60 a month more than the straight data will cost you). As I'm using most of my bandwidth and can't get MTN even if I wanted to, I decided that R60 a month for 24 months (R1440) was a good price to pay for a R2000 modem.

Colin

I was planning on using PPDB, actually hoping I can get an E272 on a topup contract and then use the airtime to buy PPDB but I just want to see what my coverage is like first, its not great on my phone but I'm hoping a data card will give me better reception. AFAIK MTN only has EDGE here. Thanks. :)

TMoose

Expert Member
My voice contract expires end of this month, I'm probably moving to MTN because Vodacom doesn't offer the phone I want. If I could I'd rather move to Virgin Mobile but they don't have it either.

Data contract expires in about a year, don't plan on renewing it. Have in fact considered paying penalty to get out of it. It's super overpriced and not a day goes by that I don't get frustrated by it at least once. I'll be going to ADSL as soon as possible. Much better value.

I worked out that I could be saving in the order of R500-R600 per month simply by switching to ADSL and moving to Virgin Mobile.

Ghost02

Expert Member
When I asked who was not renewing I mean with the data packages, not the voice. If anyone does want to move to vodacom data and there is a way of transferring, you can contact me if you want to take over my contract. Still in contract till next year april, it has the E220 modem.

Gooi_Mielies

My contract is expiring in may 2009 - not renewing it. I'm leaving vodacom simply because their starting to offer a load of bull crap in comparison with others. I took out the contract from vodacom mainly because it was appealing then!

Telkom is now offering a free 10Gb local cap with each 1Gb international cap you purchase. Plus their speeds aren't too bad! I have the 2Gb cap with VC for R466pm where Telkom charges for the same cap and a extra 10 gb local for only R289. Get the picture.

The also I'm experiencing alot of downtime lately - can't connect to the VC network.

And another side note. If i didn't read wrong Vodacom is offering the HSDPA 3.6 for an extra R49 to whatever your contract is now where MTN gives you HSDPA 7.2 for no extra charge.

Things like this makes me wonder why I'm still with them!

agerbon

Expert Member
One more month on my contract and I can't wait to to end it. Possibly the worst service I've had from any company in South Africa. I don't think i will ever forgive them for slapping me with a 5 000 Rand bill from December, took me a while to recover.

After that a fair I actually didn't use my vodacom sim for a month, but my bill was still more then what it was supposed to be, not even going to bother to complain, can't wait for this contract to end. (no bs btw)

How these companies get away with daylight robbery is beyond me.

Steinie

I have been using VC for just over a year and I must admit that I have had nothing but great service from them, apart from slow U/L speeds when sending e-mails (covered in another thread on this forum).

But, I believe this is a localised (base station) problem and should be resolved sooner than later, according to vodacom3g.

I can also honestly say that I was very, very happy to get rid of iBurst!

vodacom3g

Vodacom Representative
Because the sneaky buggers tie us all to contracts

I know, it's terrible.

I would like to apologize to all subscribers who were forced at gun-point to sign a contract and promise the practice of grabbing people off the street, dragging them kicking-and-screaming into a shop and forcing them, against their will, to sign a contract they did not want, will be stopped.

Furthermore, the horrible practice of then adding insult to injury by forcing the client to then accept a piece of communications technology worth thousands of rands against his will and forcing him to make phone calls, he did not want to make, month are month, will also be stopped.