HUAWEI B618 LTE-A router discussion thread.

Speedster

Executive Member
Is it possible to force the B618 on to a specific Cell ID?
Reason: On Supersonic FLTE, there are 2 cell ID's which appear. One performs way better than the other. As of late, my router seems to be stuck on the low performing Cell ID. Would like to force it the other one.
It is possible that the two Cell IDs are on different frequencies. It might be worth trying that first. What network is supersonic using?

Dianysis

Expert Member
It is possible that the two Cell IDs are on different frequencies. It might be worth trying that first. What network is supersonic using?
MTN.
I have used the Band Tools (with the help of @cavedog) to force to 900, 1800 and/or 2100. Just does not want to connect to the Cell ID I would like. This only happened within the last 2 - 3 days. As if it has disappeared.
That's why I was hoping if one could force Cell ID like what can be done with the bands.

cavedog

Honorary Master
MTN.
I have used the Band Tools (with the help of @cavedog) to force to 900, 1800 and/or 2100. Just does not want to connect to the Cell ID I would like. This only happened within the last 2 - 3 days. As if it has disappeared.
That's why I was hoping if one could force Cell ID like what can be done with the bands.
Unfortunately not.

Do you see 4G+ in the router home page? Also cell ID can be different but that just means you are using another frequency.

MTN has their LTE-A network as follows.

Band 1 (10MHz down and 10MHz up) Refarmed 3G spectrum
Band 3 (10MHz down and 10MHz up)
Band 8 (5MHz down and 5MHz up) Refarmed 2G spectrum

In some cases especially in cities with high data volumes MTN has 15MHz down and up on Band 1.

For the best possible speed you would ideally like to aggregate these 3 bands. I'm not sure if there is a router that does it apart from the Huawei H113 5G CPE. I would recommend B1+B3 and then you can choose the upload that works the best for you be it B1 or B3. This is likely to give the best speeds as it has the most spectrum. As a last resort Band 8 can work when signal is bad as it's a low frequency band that travels further. Spectrum is low in this band so I doubt you will break any speed records but might be more stable.

Dianysis

Expert Member
Unfortunately not.

Do you see 4G+ in the router home page? Also cell ID can be different but that just means you are using another frequency.

MTN has their LTE-A network as follows.

Band 1 (10MHz down and 10MHz up) Refarmed 3G spectrum
Band 3 (10MHz down and 10MHz up)
Band 8 (5MHz down and 5MHz up) Refarmed 2G spectrum

In some cases especially in cities with high data volumes MTN has 15MHz down and up on Band 1.

For the best possible speed you would ideally like to aggregate these 3 bands. I'm not sure if there is a router that does it apart from the Huawei H113 5G CPE. I would recommend B1+B3 and then you can choose the upload that works the best for you be it B1 or B3. This is likely to give the best speeds as it has the most spectrum. As a last resort Band 8 can work when signal is bad as it's a low frequency band that travels further. Spectrum is low in this band so I doubt you will break any speed records but might be more stable.
Hi there.

No - just 4G shows. Anything I can do to get 4G+?

I have set the router using the lte_1800+2100.bat file from the Band Tool.

Thanks again for an awesome explanation, as usual.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Hi there.

No - just 4G shows. Anything I can do to get 4G+?

I have set the router using the lte_1800+2100.bat file from the Band Tool.

Thanks again for an awesome explanation, as usual.
To try and force it to 4G+ try using upload 2100MHz in the band tool. For some reason Huawei always like Band 3 (1800MHz) so when you force 2100+1800 and upload 2100 it tends to switch to 4G+

Dianysis

Expert Member
To try and force it to 4G+ try using upload 2100MHz in the band tool. For some reason Huawei always like Band 3 (1800MHz) so when you force 2100+1800 and upload 2100 it tends to switch to 4G+
Would I be correct in using this one LTE_1800+2100_UPLOAD_2100.bat to achieve that?
Just double checking. :)

OtakuD

I might have received the last B618s-65d they had, which was delivered on Monday. I can't find it on their site, nor does the original product link work. Fortunately had found a good priced link last week. The 22d was more expensive. I took a screen print because I thought they would ship a 22d instead.

UPDATE: You can try this Takealot LINK

View attachment 733293
Thanks for this link seems to be back in stock, hope I can get decent speeds now since I am getting anywhere from 1Mbps to 30Mbps at my location.

dotcat

Is it possible to force the B618 on to a specific Cell ID?
Reason: On Supersonic FLTE, there are 2 cell ID's which appear. One performs way better than the other. As of late, my router seems to be stuck on the low performing Cell ID. Would like to force it the other one.
If supersonic is locked to one tower how does this work or is possible?

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Are there any guidelines in getting the best out of your B618 router, for LTE-A functionality.

Speedster

Executive Member
Okay, a guide to optimizing the bands then.
Here's a good start

Then just run the band tool to test the different combinations and determine which one is best.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Here's a good start

Then just run the band tool to test the different combinations and determine which one is best.
Thanks will look.

Dianysis

Expert Member
I find that I have to fairly regularly 'reset' the LTE connection for some reason (Telkom + B618).
What I do when it seems to be slow is switch to 2300 band then back to 1800 and it works well again.
Anyone else having this issue?

I've created a shortcut to do it for you here - based on the huawei band tool scripts:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f5wi7htrdf3dam7/huawei_band_tool_0.1.7z?dl=0

1) Unzip to any folder
2) Edit the huawei_band_tool_config.txt file and add your router's IP and password
3) Confirm that the commands in quick reset router.bat are correct for your router / service provider.
For 3, it depends on the router model / service provider I believe. Mine is the Telkom model which uses 1800 and 2300 frequency. Just edit the other batch files to copy the instruction to change to that frequency and paste it into the quick reset router.bat file as appropriate. My script basically changes to 2300 then back to 1800 since 1800 is my preferred frequency and by changing to 2300 and back it effectively 'resets' it. You have to press any key once it says 'success' to run the second command.
@johnjm Daruk gives a download link in the post shown above.
Also attached below. View attachment 740861