Huawei Mate 20

Dolby

Honorary Master
How do your guys find facial nonrecognition with and without sunglasses ?

It would be great to have two profiles setup because it's not as quick with sunglasses

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
Really awesome round up the device.

I have kept the phone in a case and without a screen protector but I am generally careful with devices, so haven't had any issue with cracks etc...

For me one thing that Huawei could improve on in their next devices is the OIS and EIS in the Camera. I have found that the phone just isn't as good as my Galaxy Note8 was at capturing images during motion e.g. while in a car, for example if I am in an Uber and I see an awesome car come by while we are going, with the Note8's Dual OIS, both its lenses were stabilized and it meant 9/10 I'd get an awesome and well focused image of my subject, while with the Mate 20 Pro sometimes it's a bit shaky and blurry it can be hit or miss, same with Video recording while moving, it seems to get more shaky than some of the competition does, I notice it even with my Insta Stories.

It's these little things that just need some ironing up, makes me look forward to the P30 Pro and Mate 30 Pro (if they end up calling them that).

irBosOtter

Expert Member
I don't really record video on a cellphone, but over the weekend another guy took a few with my phone, the audio is a bit weird in the beginning, anyone else experienced that? Video settings probably on the defaults, 1080P, and some parts the quality drops, or just looks crap, wonder if that was google doing that when it synced, already deleted it off my phone so can't check if the originals was the same

Not sure why he recorded holding the phone up, looks stupid like that

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6z2jK3jrwZ3TRovs6

Last edited:

irBosOtter

Expert Member
How do your guys find facial nonrecognition with and without sunglasses ?

It would be great to have two profiles setup because it's not as quick with sunglasses
Mine works fine with sunglasses, but with a hat and sunglasses it takes a little longer it seems

irBosOtter

Expert Member
So what is the best screen protector for this device, or best make, don't mind paying R1000+.
2 weeks old and it already looks worse than my 6 year old Sony Z1. If it goes on like this I can chuck thins thing away by next week it seems. Wonder why they don't use decent Gorilla Glass in their flagships.

The_David

I went on a mission to find screen protector yesterday at Mall of Africa. Most dont have but those that did had the tempered glass one but only the one that sticks around the edges. I had one of those on but it doesnt seem to fit nicely and the sales people all say that when used with a cover it may come up (dislodge) in the corners. Ontop of that the middle its not glued down, so this caused a clicky sensation, I also struggled with response near the curved edges.
What I settled on was at a vodacom shop they had this cut to size (cut with a small machine off a downloaded template. Stuck down with a type of gel that sets after 24 hours. This has now set and looks frikken awesome. You can hardly notice the edges of this film and it has a really awesome soft silicon like texture. No issue with fingerprint reader or anything. Only issue was there was a dirt spec caught under it i noticed last night. the guy said there is a 7 day re-do policy for just such an issue. So going back for that today.
This cost R300.

There was a similar thing at the Cell C shop with some fancy shmancy branding etc but the demo units they showed me had rough edges and the film had a matt (anti glare) finish which i dont like.

roldstar

i'm also contemplating this device.
best of luck at customs mate.
Thanks!!

So my phone arrived today, and after having played around with it very briefly, I'm quite impressed. Coming from the Mate 9, the Mate 20 is so similar in terms of the design of the phone, so I'm really stoked about that.

My experience with the eBay purchase was good. The first order I placed (for the twilight colour) got cancelled by the seller for some unknown reason (I suspect it was cos my account was brand new). I then placed another order, this time for the midnight blue colour, which was also $40 more, unfortunately, but shipped quicker. In Rands, the phone was R9300.

It arrived at Stackry and I decided to ship it here straight away. Shipping on DHL cost just over R1200. Accessories from Amazon I'll pick up on my next trip to the US. It arrived in SA on Saturday - customs was R2500, and it arrived to me today.

All in all, from when I ordered it to when I got it in my hands was just one week. That's really not bad going. It came to a lot more than I was expecting, and only time will tell if it's actually worth it. But for now, I'm looking forward to setting it up and playing around with it :)

irBosOtter

Expert Member
I went on a mission to find screen protector yesterday at Mall of Africa. Most dont have but those that did had the tempered glass one but only the one that sticks around the edges. I had one of those on but it doesnt seem to fit nicely and the sales people all say that when used with a cover it may come up (dislodge) in the corners. Ontop of that the middle its not glued down, so this caused a clicky sensation, I also struggled with response near the curved edges.
What I settled on was at a vodacom shop they had this cut to size (cut with a small machine off a downloaded template. Stuck down with a type of gel that sets after 24 hours. This has now set and looks frikken awesome. You can hardly notice the edges of this film and it has a really awesome soft silicon like texture. No issue with fingerprint reader or anything. Only issue was there was a dirt spec caught under it i noticed last night. the guy said there is a 7 day re-do policy for just such an issue. So going back for that today.
This cost R300.

There was a similar thing at the Cell C shop with some fancy shmancy branding etc but the demo units they showed me had rough edges and the film had a matt (anti glare) finish which i dont like.
Thanks think I will go do the same then

Leisure Larry

Thanks!!

So my phone arrived today, and after having played around with it very briefly, I'm quite impressed. Coming from the Mate 9, the Mate 20 is so similar in terms of the design of the phone, so I'm really stoked about that.

My experience with the eBay purchase was good. The first order I placed (for the twilight colour) got cancelled by the seller for some unknown reason (I suspect it was cos my account was brand new). I then placed another order, this time for the midnight blue colour, which was also $40 more, unfortunately, but shipped quicker. In Rands, the phone was R9300.

It arrived at Stackry and I decided to ship it here straight away. Shipping on DHL cost just over R1200. Accessories from Amazon I'll pick up on my next trip to the US. It arrived in SA on Saturday - customs was R2500, and it arrived to me today.

All in all, from when I ordered it to when I got it in my hands was just one week. That's really not bad going. It came to a lot more than I was expecting, and only time will tell if it's actually worth it. But for now, I'm looking forward to setting it up and playing around with it :)
yoh, that's pretty stiff at customs!!
Enjoy the phone.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
So it seems the video recording on my phone is broken, audio all screwed in the beginning and halfway through the video quality goes down. (This is on the default settings,1080P) Wonder if the latest update caused that.

Dolby

Honorary Master
So it seems the video recording on my phone is broken, audio all screwed in the beginning and halfway through the video quality goes down. (This is on the default settings,1080P) Wonder if the latest update caused that.
What is your latest? 142?

I haven't noticed but I'll try

roldstar

I've had my Mate 20 for a few days now.. The battery life is insane!! The other day I got over 7 hours.. This was today after charging it at noon yesterday.. I've never had a phone that gave me such good life!!

Screenshot_20181216_171119_com.huawei.systemmanager.jpg

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
I've had my Mate 20 for a few days now.. The battery life is insane!! The other day I got over 7 hours.. This was today after charging it at noon yesterday.. I've never had a phone that gave me such good life!!

View attachment 593774
Pure madness. I was saying to someone that the battery life on this phone is like being able to have your cake and eat it.

Pocketnow share the same sentiments as us and MKBHD, a lot of them saying this is a 2day Battery Life phone, which is hilarious considering the marketing slogan for the Mate 20 Pro's main competitor is only "All Day Battery"

Last edited: