Huawei Mate 20

Tcyte

Gsmarena says it has but Huawei hasn't confirmed anything and they didn't mention anything during the Livestream.
Maybe we might have to wait for the local launch they might clarify

jman

Expert Member
On all networks? Looking to get one on Telkom for the dual sim functionality.
Not sure about network availability. I'm referring to the local launch event. I'm under the impression that MTN and Vodacom are usually the first ones to get devices

irBosOtter

Expert Member
After reading the hands on review from GSM Arena I'm a little disappointed to be honest. Benchmarks not that impressive, and does seem it's only glass and no gorilla glass....
That is a deal breaker for me, phone would shatter on the first day lol

Sumen

Expert Member
After reading the hands on review from GSM Arena I'm a little disappointed to be honest. Benchmarks not that impressive, and does seem it's only glass and no gorilla glass....
That is a deal breaker for me, phone would shatter on the first day lol
And it's also about the price - it's going to be around R20 000 and doesn't have gorilla glass.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
And it's also about the price - it's going to be around R20 000 and doesn't have gorilla glass.
With a price like that they are crazy

It's a very nice phone with some awesome features. Maybe they had to leave out the gorilla glass due to the fingerprint reader

GSMArena still says: Corning Gorilla Glass (unspecified version)
So maybe they will update that but usually they would mention the gorilla glass like they do for every other review

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
Busy putting this beast (Mate 20 Pro), through it's paces today. Will post my full thoughts on it later, so far absolutely enjoying it. It is curved on both sides, however the curves are very shallow, feels like a pebble kind of, makes it very easy to hold the device.

Already used it for Waze navigation to get to work (Fourways to Hyde Park drive, Waze is a life saver ) and the battery is holding up very well.

Cannot put it down but need to work. Will use it heavily today to see how the battery holds up as I go through my work day.

Sumen

Expert Member
Busy putting this beast (Mate 20 Pro), through it's paces today. Will post my full thoughts on it later, so far absolutely enjoying it. It is curved on both sides, however the curves are very shallow, feels like a pebble kind of, makes it very easy to hold the device.

Already used it for Waze navigation to get to work (Fourways to Hyde Park drive, Waze is a life saver ) and the battery is holding up very well.

Cannot put it down but need to work. Will use it heavily today to see how the battery holds up as I go through my work day.
Does it mention anything about gorilla glass on box?

Tcyte

is it dual sim as well?

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
Have to say, I am liking having both In-screen Fingerprint and Face Recognition, both are quite fast. Depending on how I have the phone, will determine how it's unlocked, the Face Recognition is super fast so if you are lifting the phone towards you it unlocks immediately, but if for example the phone is laying down on your table away from you, it's easy to just put your finger on the Display and unlock.

There is a ray of light that comes through the display when you put your finger where the sensor is, this then reads your Fingerprint and unlocks it. Much like past FPS Setups I've setup both thumbs multiple times so it's fastbat reading the Fingerprint.

Here's what it looks like in the lockscreen if you are using Fingerprint - as you can see it's in the middle of the display where your thumb would naturally go. It's more convenient than even the below display Fingerprint scanners older phones had.

Glue

Expert Member
Better than the pixel 3 lol.. The normal mate 20's (non-pro) notch looks much better
Yip the pixel notch is the worst!!!
Someone needs to be fired at Google for that design!!!

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
A little bit of a size comparison to a standard Samsung Galaxy S8 (5.8inch). The Mate 20 Pro is quite compact considering it has a 6.39inch display, I think the notch coupled with the smaller chin helps it a lot.
Galaxy S8 - Left and Mate 20 Pro - Right

Last edited:

Tcyte

A little bit of a size comparison to a standard Samsung Galaxy S8 (5.8inch). The Mate 20 Pro is quite compact considering it has a 6.39inch display, I think the notch coupled with the smaller chin helps it a lot.
Galaxy S8 - Left and Mate 20 Pro - Right
we can see the Dps inscreen fingerprint sensor