Huawei Mate 20

Park@82

Honorary Master
In my opinion Huawei (and other OEMs) should start to focus on providing long term software/OS version support for their flagship phones.

Apple leads the smartphone pack in this department. The iPhone 5S (2013) received iOS 12 - that is 6 versions of iOS.
https://infographic.statista.com/normal/chartoftheday_5824_ios_iphone_compatibility_n.jpg

A commitment from Huawei to support their phones for 3-4 years would make me want to buy theirs over any other brand.

Maybe this is somewhat out of their hands since Google controls the OS release, and hardware may be made obsolete by a requirement dictated by the software... But at the very least, some sort of offical commitment to try would be reassuring.

EliteOp

How's the sound from that bottom speaker inside the charging port? I'm concerned it's below the volume of a normal speaker..

Park@82

Honorary Master
BTW, my usage of the Mate 20 Pro is done at the full WQHD+ 3120x1440 resolution. First thing I did was to set it to this resolution to fully experience this display, and so far I have been very impressed
I'm keen to see battery performance when using FHD+.

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
How's the sound from that bottom speaker inside the charging port? I'm concerned it's below the volume of a normal speaker..
It is actually pretty good. I have been trying to figure out how on earth they did it, as I cannot really see anything in the USB-C port, but when I am watching YouTube and block the port I can tell there is a major drop in volume as that speaker handles more of the bass, while the top speaker handles more of the treble.

Due to the speaker sitting in the port, the sound does come off as more "surround".

Sirus_the_virus

Huawei Mate 20 RS 512GB model is US$2500?

They are flocking mad...
It has the capabilities to shoot laser beams from its lenses and peel onions and potato's in seconds. Another thing they added was the automatic emoji tasting sensor. See, that pushes the price up.

Dave

Honorary Master
It has the capabilities to shoot laser beams from its lenses and peel onions and potato's in seconds. Another thing they added was the automatic emoji tasting sensor. See, that pushes the price up.
Needs to make coffee as well at that price...

Park@82

Honorary Master
It is actually pretty good. I have been trying to figure out how on earth they did it, as I cannot really see anything in the USB-C port, but when I am watching YouTube and block the port I can tell there is a major drop in volume
How about when you have a cable plugged in?

sajunky

Honorary Master
In my opinion Huawei (and other OEMs) should start to focus on providing long term software/OS version support for their flagship phones.

Apple leads the smartphone pack in this department. The iPhone 5S (2013) received iOS 12 - that is 6 versions of iOS.
https://infographic.statista.com/normal/chartoftheday_5824_ios_iphone_compatibility_n.jpg

A commitment from Huawei to support their phones for 3-4 years would make me want to buy theirs over any other brand.

Maybe this is somewhat out of their hands since Google controls the OS release, and hardware may be made obsolete by a requirement dictated by the software... But at the very least, some sort of offical commitment to try would be reassuring.
I agree, but why only for flagship phones?

I do respect a brand as I can buy Y3 2018 for R999 and it is a quality phone and good value for the money. And don't have to fork lot of money if I don't want to. No one is forcing me to buy a flagship, but with Huawei I have affordable alternative like Huawei Y series. Not like with cheapo Samsung that sucks or a cheap Apple (missing).

CT_Biker

Expert Member
I actually purchased one yesterday as the Telkom Store I purchased the device from never had stock of the phone I originally wanted.

What a way Huawei has come. The last experience I had with a Huawei was the Ascend P6. I despised it, the hardware was not bad at all, but the UI was horrible. I like the new EMUI, it is a lot cleaner, and pretty slick.
As an ex apple user it does take a while to reacclimatize back to 'Droid, and this is a pleasant experience thus far.

The UI is slick and the Kirin 710 is actually delivers, I have not yet given the phone a full going through, mainly just set everything up to the way I like it.

Things I like:
- The long press over an application which emulates iOS' "Pop and Peek" feature when used along side force touch. Great feature, I really appreciate this feature as I used it often.
- Split screen applications(where compatible), this speeds up navigation and allows for uninterrupted viewing of a YT video.
- The notification and quick access panel. The stream lining of this panel is welcomed. I used to hate the way Android used to handle this.
- Manual Camera controls
- Battery life, this was a pleasant surprise.

Things I do not like:
- Android's poor RAM optimization(The chipset can handle multiple running apps and services no prob, but it has it's limits - of course)
- Not enough gesture based inputs. More gesture based navigation options would be great! However, it will not detract from the overall experience.
- Crappy Earphones. Kind of a sin to pack a pretty decent device without the fancier earphones.

I will update this next week, after I mess around with the camera a bit more and explore more of the features of the device. My experience thus far has been surprising, actually somewhat exceptional at this price point.

Last edited:

Dave

Honorary Master

Dolby

Honorary Master
Welcome to the Huawi part of the forum! I thought you were a huge iPhone fan ... But I guess you have Huawei to find yourself here? Which model Huawei do you have?

I think in unreleased phones, **** happens. I guess this is 1 in 1,000,000+ chance - but probably better than a 20% chance of a new iPhone not charging? (ChargeGate).

I think the iPhone system may also need work though (https://www.wired.com/story/10-year-old-face-id-unlocks-mothers-iphone-x/) ... They don't even look similar!

I wonder if the two that 'opened' the Huawei even tried an iPhone ...? That'd be the obvious next step (even before publication) and if I'm honest, it's oddly weird they didn't?

Dolby

Honorary Master
I have a Huawei P20, my sarcastic little friend. You should pay more attention...

:rolleyes:

;)
Then welcome to 'our' side ;)

Have they fixed ChargeGate, WiFi Gate and BeautyGate yet? It'd be a shame to have so many issues to plague such a good phone Also, guessing they fixed Facial 3D in the iPhone X?

Dolby

Honorary Master
I have a Huawei P20, my sarcastic little friend. You should pay more attention...

:rolleyes:

;)
You're getting a Mate 20 Pro? My understanding is it's better in pretty much every single way, from battery, to speed, to camera, functionality.

I think the only downside is the status and bragging rights