I can't sleep since Tuesday

Keeper

Honorary Master
Sorry man, just give your brother the support he needs. :eek:

Good Luck with the tests, hope u get some sleep in...

Syndyre

Honorary Master
**** I'm sorry. :( I'd be stressing like you too but I'm sure you and your family are fine, luckily its something that's very difficult to catch by accident.

DJ...

Banned
Sorry to hear man! This does explain to an extent the last thread regarding your paranoia about HIV, however I reckon based on the last time we all debated this, that there is hardly any chance of your brother passing it on to anyone else within your family. If it would make you feel any better, then have the test done - it is never a bad thing to test for regardless of whether you know someone with it or not.

Pitbull

Verboten
Sorry to hear man! This does explain to an extent the last thread regarding your paranoia about HIV, however I reckon based on the last time we all debated this, that there is hardly any chance of your brother passing it on to anyone else within your family. If it would make you feel any better, then have the test done - it is never a bad thing to test for regardless of whether you know someone with it or not.
By then I didn;t even know or suspect that he has it :( It's just been a very serious fear of mine for as long as I can remember. And now it happens so close to home

Debbie

Banned
There are instant tests on the market.

I recently had an HIV test. Went to the Dischem (it may have been a Clicks pharmacy), saw the nurse on duty. Paid R85 for the test, and R130 for the consultation with the nurse.

The nurse opens the test, pricks your finger, and your wait about 2 minutes to see which lines on the test develop (kinda like a pregnancy test).

They used to sell the tests on their own for home testing, but they stopped doing this because too many people were getting a positive result and killing themselves.

The test tests for the two major strains of HIV found in SA.

Pitbull, please, you and your bro need to go for counselling.

Pitbull

Verboten

I recently had an HIV test. Went to the Dischem (it may have been a Clicks pharmacy), saw the nurse on duty. Paid R85 for the test, and R130 for the consultation with the nurse.

The nurse opens the test, pricks your finger, and your wait about 2 minutes to see which lines on the test develop (kinda like a pregnancy test).

They used to sell the tests on their own for home testing, but they stopped doing this because too many people were getting a positive result and killing themselves.

This is the second thing I'll do. When I spoke to him on Tuesday I broke down sobbing like a little girl. He was fine with it as if he know for a while already.

This is what is pissing me off the most. If he knew why o why didn't he say something FFS ! Thanx Debbie I think I'll have it done at the Doctor and just get the results for the time being. If it is to come back negative I will be the happies man alive. Then What ever is happening in this country will feel like a summer brease. Damn I might even beat Lancelot at being possitive about SA.
But on the flip side. I don;t think i'll be able to live with being Possitive :(

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
This is the second thing I'll do. When I spoke to him on Tuesday I broke down sobbing like a little girl. He was fine with it as if he know for a while already.

This is what is pissing me off the most. If he knew why o why didn't he say something FFS ! :(
I am sure that he also went through an agonising time, realising the implications of what has happened, and if considered the implications, i am sure one of the things that would certainly have concerned him, would have been the fact of family, and if there had been any chance even remote that he could have affected any of you including your folks, he would have approached you or the family and spoken about it.

Syndyre

Honorary Master

I thought those tests weren't as accurate as the proper blood tests?

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Ouch ...HIV is scary... just get the tests out of the way - you'll be able to sleep then.

ARVs are the worst thing on the planet, they make you feel like you want to die... I feel for your brother.

CathJ

Expert Member
I thought those tests weren't as accurate as the proper blood tests?
They're not - they're used as initial screening. They're biased towards false positives, so you're unlikely to show up as negative if you're really positive, but you could show up as positive if you're really negative. Hence the need for counselling, so that you don't panic... if you show up as positive, you then need to go for a proper blood test to know for sure.

So I wouldn't recommend it for Pitbull at the moment - a false positive is NOT something he needs to deal with right now.

Pitbull

Verboten
They're not - they're used as initial screening. They're biased towards false positives, so you're unlikely to show up as negative if you're really positive, but you could show up as positive if you're really negative. Hence the need for counselling, so that you don't panic... if you show up as positive, you then need to go for a proper blood test to know for sure.

So I wouldn't recommend it for Pitbull at the moment - a false positive is NOT something he needs to deal with right now.
+1

Don't think I'll be able to handle a false Possitive at this stage. I made a GP appointment for tomorrow ;)

Syndyre

Honorary Master

No, rather go for a proper test, last thing you need is a false positive. :eek:

xrapidx

Honorary Master
+1

Don't think I'll be able to handle a false Possitive at this stage. I made a GP appointment for tomorrow ;)
You can get the test results from your GP within too hours if you really don't want to wait... cost me about R250 I think (excluding GP visit)...

PS.... Its a VERY VERY VERY long two hours.

Pitbull

Verboten
You can get the test results from your GP within too hours if you really don't want to wait... cost me about R250 I think (excluding GP visit)...

PS.... Its a VERY VERY VERY long two hours.
I've had tests before and it didn't bother me that much. It was still chilling :eek:
But this time round I think it will be x 1000 :(

Seriously this is fk'd up, I don't need this kind of shyt in my life right now

Syndyre

Honorary Master
I've had tests before and it didn't bother me that much. It was still chilling :eek:
But this time round I think it will be x 1000 :(

Seriously this is fk'd up, I don't need this kind of shyt in my life right now
There really is almost no chance you got it from him, you can't catch it that easily. But I'd be stressing too. :(

Devill

Damned
Also,

I'm now afraid to even go to visit my Mother and my Father as my brother stays there. I know I should not be so niave. But it's a freaky experience. This is the only thing in the world that makes me so scared I can barely breath. Does anyone know who I can go speak to, someone that will educate me about the virus, things to look out for and and and.

Sort of like Aids Counciling or something ?
Go to these sites for some Facts about HIV:

http://www.aac.org/site/PageServer?pagename=basics_home&gclid=CP3T_MO7o5QCFQaYQAodrHHPtw

http://www.globalhealth.org/hiv_aids/?gclid=CKvR5uW8o5QCFQKaFQodHEFWtg

http://www.aids.gov.br/data/Pages/LUMIS5F9787FCENIE.htm

Looks like this will be the longest weekend of my life.

Just made a GP's appointment for tomorrow at 11:30.
Thus I should only know by next week. How the hell do I live till then ?
Good luck man.

These are not as accurate as the proper ones they perform.....
This is not something you want to skimp on but to get some piece of mind quickly this would be a good option :)

marine1

Honorary Master
Hi Guys.

Went to vist my Mother over the weekend. I saw my Gay brother being very skinny and sick. He told me he went to the Doctor and they did an HIV test on him. He would get the results on Tuesday.

Tuesday it was confirmed he is HIV+

Now he could have had this for 10 years without anyone knowing. I'm laying awake at night breaking my head thinking at what happened during that lets say 10 years. Did my kids get into contact of he's blood during that time, did I..... did my wife and so forth.

This is eating my up alive. I'm now scared to go for a test but think I must go to put my mind at easy. But I'm **** scared at the fact that unknowingly I might have it and then the test will say I'm possitive too :(

Where does one go to get a test done without having to wait a week for a result ?

The waiting will kill me for sure
So sorry to hear mate, please pm me and i will tell you where to go for a quick test.