I can't sleep since Tuesday

Pitbull

Verboten
Hi Guys.

Went to vist my Mother over the weekend. I saw my Gay brother being very skinny and sick. He told me he went to the Doctor and they did an HIV test on him. He would get the results on Tuesday.

Tuesday it was confirmed he is HIV+

Now he could have had this for 10 years without anyone knowing. I'm laying awake at night breaking my head thinking at what happened during that lets say 10 years. Did my kids get into contact of he's blood during that time, did I..... did my wife and so forth.

This is eating my up alive. I'm now scared to go for a test but think I must go to put my mind at easy. But I'm **** scared at the fact that unknowingly I might have it and then the test will say I'm possitive too :(

Where does one go to get a test done without having to wait a week for a result ?

The waiting will kill me for sure

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Sorry to hear about your brother. The chances of you or your kids getting infected however are pretty slim.

If you want to get tested contact your GP and they'll arrange it for you.

LCBXX

Executive Member
I won't worry about it man. I'm sure his didn't bite your kids or your wife. And by nature people want to avoid blood when someone accidentally cut's themselves etc.

I dont think there are instant tests :( because they are blood tests.

Phone your GP and ask him/her what the quickest test is for HIV and if he/she can book you one asap.

Good luck.

Last edited:

RichardG

Honorary Master
Sorry to hear about your brother as well...

I would recommend you do an HiV test, just to clear mind, takes about 2 day to get your results back, and you'll feel at east If you are hiv negative

Pitbull

Verboten
Seriously I have not slept for 1 hour since Tuesday

THIS IS FK'D UP !

I mean 10 years, how can I know what happened even 3 years ago ?

I think I need to go do the test and get it done

CathJ

Expert Member
Sorry to hear it :(

The likelyhood of having contracted it is minimal, but definitely, go and be tested so that you know.

I think that there are faster, initial screening type tests, but they're not as accurate and can give false positives - which you really don't need, stressed out as you are. Rather contact your GP and get a proper, accurate blood test done.

Pitbull

Verboten
Sorry to hear it :(

The likelyhood of having contracted it is minimal, but definitely, go and be tested so that you know.

I think that there are faster, initial screening type tests, but they're not as accurate and can give false positives - which you really don't need, stressed out as you are. Rather contact your GP and get a proper, accurate blood test done.
Also,

I'm now afraid to even go to visit my Mother and my Father as my brother stays there. I know I should not be so niave. But it's a freaky experience. This is the only thing in the world that makes me so scared I can barely breath. Does anyone know who I can go speak to, someone that will educate me about the virus, things to look out for and and and.

Sort of like Aids Counciling or something ?

Surv0

Executive Member
Sorry to hear that man :(

But you definitely need to go get tested, you and your whole family. Rather do it now and know about any issues than do it too late and find yourself in a worse position.
As Cathj said, the chances are minimal that you have contracted anything but you still need to be sure.

I also think your parents and your brother probably need your support - although your scared, imagine how scared they are.

Good luck and i hope wellness and health on the rest of your family.

Alan

Honorary Master
Sorry to hear about your brother. The chances of you or your kids getting infected however are pretty slim.

If you want to get tested contact your GP and they'll arrange it for you.
Pretty much zero IMO.

I'd be more worried about his boyfriend/s. Imagine what they must be going through right now.

Pitbull you have to get tested now.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
The chances of or your kids having AIDS is very very small. Its always good to be safe.. but its highly unlikely this has happened.

Ou grote

Honorary Master
Also,

I'm now afraid to even go to visit my Mother and my Father as my brother stays there. I know I should not be so niave. But it's a freaky experience. This is the only thing in the world that makes me so scared I can barely breath. Does anyone know who I can go speak to, someone that will educate me about the virus, things to look out for and and and.

It'll take a while to get used to it.

They were doing some HIV tests where I work, and it took 10 minutes or so to get the results.

Your boet isn't going to just keel over, given the correct treatment he can go on for a long time.
Magic Johnson got HIV back in the 80's, and he's still around.

Try and think about how your brother feels about it, he doesn't need you shunning him, he can easily live another 30 years or so. Don't know what the record is.

BCO

Honorary Master
Also,

Dude, the risk of you or your family contracting HIV from your brother is miniscule. My domestic worker has been HIV positive the whole time she's worked for us, which is eight years. She's in our home every day. Me and my family are around her every day. I have an annual HIV test and I'm clean. So is the rest of my family.

It is very difficult to catch HIV from someone unless you're ****ing them or exchanging bodily fluids somehow. I doubt that you or your family are doing either of those things with your brother.

CathJ

Expert Member
Also,

I can understand you feeling that way, although rationally it isn't necessary. As others have said, he needs your support.

There are definitely aids counsellors, although I don't really know where you would find them. The best option is to ask your GP, or wherever you get the test done - they should give you advice on how to handle the current situation, how to reduce any risk, and in the unlikely event that you do test positive, would provide counselling on that as well.

I assume your brother has had counselling since he found out he was positive?

Pitbull

Verboten
Looks like this will be the longest weekend of my life.

Just made a GP's appointment for tomorrow at 11:30.
Thus I should only know by next week. How the hell do I live till then ?

Last edited:

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
People fear that which they dont know. Pitbull.. I really think you should get all the reading matter and information on HIV/AIDS, and learn about it, and how to live with people who have it.

While its okay to be cautious, its not okay to shun someone with it.

CathJ

Expert Member
I feel for you.

Unfortunately you just have to live through it - easier to say than do, but try not to dwell on it, try to distract yourself. Remember that the time will pass, even if you're stressing every second. And keep reminding yourself that it's very unlikely you'll test positive, you're just doing this for peace of mind.

Pitbull

Verboten
I feel for you.

Unfortunately you just have to live through it - easier to say than do, but try not to dwell on it, try to distract yourself. Remember that the time will pass, even if you're stressing every second. And keep reminding yourself that it's very unlikely you'll test positive, you're just doing this for peace of mind.
Thanx for the advice CathJ

Sorry Pitbull :(

*sigh*

I'm sure you and your family are okay and will get better with it all as time goes on.