Importing Console Games (beat the price increase)

doobiwan

Executive Member
Two questions from my previous thread that should be answered here:

1. Do you guys pay customs + VAT when importing games? SARS told me that games carry a 5% ad valorum + 15 % VAT charge.
  2. Is there a way to avoid customs, like ordering only one game at a time, or asking them to wrap it in newspaper etc? :D

Just work it into your expectations and hope for the best.

benitok

Look at these specials. Why don't we get such specials here, I haven't ordered from them yet, but I will in the future.

http://www.shopto.net/page.php?page=topcharts&mode=bestsellers&platform=PS3

PS3
LittleBigPlanet - £19.99 x R14.5 = R289.85 +shipping.

MotorStorm 2: Pacific Rift - £19.99 x R14.5 = R289.85 +shipping.

Resistance 2 - £19.99 x R14.5 = R289.85 +shipping.

http://www.shopto.net/page.php?page=topcharts&mode=bestsellers&platform=XBOX 360

Xbox360
Wireless Network Adaptor Xbox 360 - £39.13 x R14.5 = R567.385 + shipping

Far Cry 2 £19.99 x R14.5 = R289.85 +shipping.

http://www.shopto.net/page.php?page=info-delivery
International delivery is between £3.50 and £4.50 due the flucuation of currency but most often will be around £4.11 (R59.59)

Mier

Expert Member
Shopto.net has been mentioned several time by different people, but has anyone actually ordered from them yet ? How was the service ?

I would like to try them, but I'm always sceptical when shopping online from a new site.

Jinx10

PS3 and Xbox consoles, TH is 9504.10/2 (Sch1p1 is Duty Free, however AD Valorem Duty of 7% and Customs Vat applies)

Games (disc) for PS3 & Xbox, TH is 8523.40/8 (Duty Free), Customs Vat applies.

i think when the games get posted its like bringing stuff in at the airport, Customs do a thumbsuck... but basically on the games they can only charge you customs vat. customs vat is 14 % of (customs value + 10% + duty). also if you have a vat no. you claim your vat back...

BrrIan

Also keep in mind that there is a processing fee of at least R25.

There is no guaranteed way to avoid paying. Small packages. Low value packages. Maybe, but no guarantee. And if you buy ten games and have them sent as ten packages you risk paying R250 in processing fees on top of the VAT, versus just R25 for a single package with ten games. The gamble may pay off it may not.

I always just calculate as though I am going to pay all the fees and if I don't it is a bonus. Scary thing is that you can import a new game, pay all fees and still save a couple of hundred Rand.

iDOL

Expert Member
Just want to report , bought my Little Big Planet from Shopto.net , order placed and dispatched on the 18/12/2008. Via signed for mail.

Order was handed over to the SA postal service on 23/12/2008 - but due to the public holidays in between , I only received my item today 31/12/2008.

Item went from Jhb Int to the relevant mail distribution hub for my region - the hub for mine was krugersdorp, after which it then gets dispatched to my local post office.

You receive a tracking number from RoyalMail if you order via shopto.net, but once it reaches SA, you can call the postal service customer service, they will then provide you with an updated ref no - for the SA Post.

You can then track your item via the track and trace on the SAPO.co.za website.

I didn't have to pay any additional charges once my item reached me.

Last edited:

pauld

Hi all

I've just ordered 3 games from shopto.net:
Fable 2
Far Cry 2
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Total cost including shipping: R958.08
Will update you on how it goes and if I get slapped with any charges.

As a comparison, these are the SA online prices. Seems about R700 saved on 3 games, and that's ordering from the UK!

Kalahari.net
F2 R935.95
FC2 R670.95
ESIV not listed
Delivery (over R350) free

CNA
F2 R699.99
FC2 R699.99
ESIV not listed
Home delivery R30

Musica
F2 R699.99
FC2 R699.99
ESIV R299.99
Don't see delivery charges.

pauld

Hi all

I've just ordered 3 games from shopto.net:
Fable 2
Far Cry 2
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Total cost including shipping: R958.08
Will update you on how it goes and if I get slapped with any charges.

As a comparison, these are the SA online prices. Seems about R700 saved on 3 games, and that's ordering from the UK!

Kalahari.net
F2 R935.95
FC2 R670.95
ESIV not listed
Delivery (over R350) free

CNA
F2 R699.99
FC2 R699.99
ESIV not listed
Home delivery R30

Musica
F2 R699.99
FC2 R699.99
ESIV R299.99
Don't see delivery charges.

Today I am a happy camper :D

Got sick of waiting for a message in the postbox saying my parcel had arrived
so I called the post office 0860111502 and quoted my royal mail tracking number to see where my parcel was - it had arrived in Durban and week ago and was sitting at my local post office!

Went to pick it up (3 games in 3 separate envelopes) and paid NO charges.

So in summary, Far Cry 2 + Fable 2 + Elder Scrolls 4 = R958.
Decent if you don't mind the 2 week wait for the games to get here from the UK.

Bona Botse

A little insight goes a long way
so i saw that the pound is at R14.13 while i was browsing news24 and i rushed over to shopto and i just ordered metal gear solid iv (woot, they haven't had stock for a while) and littlebigplanet for about R790 (for both titles including shipping), which makes these brand new titles from the uk cheaper than their local secondhand going rates.

now to wait for my preciouses...

DarKWateR

Expert Member
so i saw that the pound is at R14.13 while i was browsing news24 and i rushed over to shopto and i just ordered metal gear solid iv (woot, they haven't had stock for a while) and littlebigplanet for about R790 (for both titles including shipping), which makes these brand new titles from the uk cheaper than their local secondhand going rates.

now to wait for my preciouses...

Dude...that's expensive...you can get LBP under Take2 (UK section) for R485

Kerrrang!

benitok

I also pre-ordered mine from them last night. Now my question is, don't they have an expedited shipping option?

I didn't see any delivery option, it appears they only have the one. Maybe somebody else can comment on this.

Another question about Shopto.net:
When I looked at the website everything was in pounds, but when I logon and select a product it changes the currency to Euros, which is about R50 more expensive than the pound price, but still cheaper than SA. Anyone else experience the same?

Kerrrang!

I didn't see any delivery option, it appears they only have the one. Maybe somebody else can comment on this.

Another question about Shopto.net:
When I looked at the website everything was in pounds, but when I logon and select a product it changes the currency to Euros, which is about R50 more expensive than the pound price, but still cheaper than SA. Anyone else experience the same?

Noticed the same thing - would prefer to pay in pounds.

Bona Botse

A little insight goes a long way
Dude...that's expensive...you can get LBP under Take2 (UK section) for R485

no silly, i paid R790 for BOTH games, LBP on its own was R335

Noticed the same thing - would prefer to pay in pounds.

you have an option of paying in pounds or euros. after logging in there's two icons on the right (under the "Your Basket" section) with pound and euro signs. just click on the pound one and all the prices will be in pounds again

Last edited: