iPad Air 4 in SA

maumau

Honorary Master
Not sure if you've tried the back gesture. Two finger swipe. Start with your two fingers on the bezel and swipe from left to right. I find it works best if your fingers are about 5cm apart.

Have tried to swipe but was using only one finger so maybe I'm doing it wrong. Thanks for details, I'll give it a go when the tablet's charged.

Reactions: 3WA

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
Yip. I'm a little bit gutted. Enjoying it though. The speed at which it runs and executes programs is absolutely devine!

Already used to the fingerprint scanner in the power button although accessories for thee air 4 are hard to come by. I bought a speck cover for an 11pro which fits the air perfectly except for in one crucial area!! The power button. The case pushes the power button down, rendering the air unusable. Fortunately, using a nail clipper, I was able to remove the offending bit.

Had a day of low and highs yesterday.
Congratulations, it is still a fine tablet despite the lack of ProMotion, I can only imagine how it feels to go between it and your 2017 Pro, but I am sure you will get used to it,the Air 4 is a beast!

Had the 2020 Pros not have come I would have probably got the Air 4.

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
No and I've been whinging about mine since I bought it a few weeks ago.

E.G. reading myBB, to return to the previous page you have to stretch across the entire effing tablet to top left back arrow :mad: :mad::mad::mad:. If there's a way around it please share because it's really, really, really, really annoying.
Are you unable to swipe from the bezel? All I do is swipe from the left bezel to go back and swipe from the right bezel to go forward.

maumau

Honorary Master
Not sure if you've tried the back gesture. Two finger swipe. Start with your two fingers on the bezel and swipe from left to right. I find it works best if your fingers are about 5cm apart.

Are you unable to swipe from the bezel? All I do is swipe from the left bezel to go back and swipe from the right bezel to go forward.

Thanks so much you guys :love:swiping from the bezel works. I had watched the swipe on YouTube but was still doing it from mid screen, the way you explained it made sense.

Bet you didn't guess I'm new to Apple :)

3WA

Executive Member
Thanks so much you guys :love:swiping from the bezel works. I had watched the swipe on YouTube but was still doing it from mid screen, the way you explained it made sense.

Bet you didn't guess I'm new to Apple :)

After reading @Tsepz_GP 's comment I just realised it works with one finger as well as two.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Man I want a new iPad, but I'm not jumping until Apple brings FaceID to the normally priced range or a score a stupidly good deal on a Pro.

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
Man I want a new iPad, but I'm not jumping until Apple brings FaceID to the normally priced range or a score a stupidly good deal on a Pro.
Which one do you currently have?

For me, I would have still been using my old Air 2 had the battery not been so terrible that it could only last an hour or so, I absolutely love using my new iPad Pro but I still think the Air 2 would have done a fine job had I been able to source a new battery and replacement before the heavy lockdown we had earlier this year.

Air 2 would have probably gone another 2-3years with a new battery.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I don't know how to describe it but it's the way you return to the previous page.

Just been taught a swipe gesture that does it.

Oh you mean the on screen one top left.

I thought you meant something on the keyboard maybe.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Which one do you currently have?

For me, I would have still been using my old Air 2 had the battery not been so terrible that it could only last an hour or so, I absolutely love using my new iPad Pro but I still think the Air 2 would have done a fine job had I been able to source a new battery and replacement before the heavy lockdown we had earlier this year.

Air 2 would have probably gone another 2-3years with a new battery.

Oh no I have a now ancient iPad 2.

Amazingly the battery is still awesome but the app support is lacking now after so many years.

It’s a Netflix/YouTube machine now. Sadly no Apple TV app.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Congratulations, it is still a fine tablet despite the lack of ProMotion, I can only imagine how it feels to go between it and your 2017 Pro, but I am sure you will get used to it,the Air 4 is a beast!

Had the 2020 Pros not have come I would have probably got the Air 4.
Thank you!!

Amazing device, no doubt! I really feel it hits the sweet spot between performance and price! The A14 bionic is a beast!! Honestly amazed at this things performance. Having said that not really running any resource intensive apps on her.

V the 10.5", Like the home button free, thinner bezels, sound quality is improved, louder and clearer and the screen is noticeably brighter but no sharper. Power button fingerprint sensor works well but could get fiddly depending what case you put on the iPad.

I'm now kind've wishing I had shelled out the extra R4k odd for the 11" Pro though... There's no ways I'm ever getting used to the 60hz screen. Pro motion is worth 4k, easily, IMHO...

My daughter gets all my hand me down electronics, she's hoping I go back to the 10.5" Pro and give her the Air 4. Little git....

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
I don't know how to describe it but it's the way you return to the previous page.

Just been taught a swipe gesture that does it.
Don’t worry, even after 8 years of using iPads, there are things I am still learning, lol, iOS/iPad OS may be simple but there are a lot of hidden little gems in it that Apple never event talk about.
Oh no I have a now ancient iPad 2.

Amazingly the battery is still awesome but the app support is lacking now after so many years.

It’s a Netflix/YouTube machine now. Sadly no Apple TV app.
WOW! What the hell did Apple make the iPad 2 out of? Those things really just keep going. I can fully understand why you want something new then, lol. If you can get a 2018 iPad Pro for a decent price I would say go with that even as it does not differ much with 2020 Pros except for RAM and the extra GPU core.
Thank you!!

Amazing device, no doubt! I really feel it hits the sweet spot between performance and price! The A14 bionic is a beast!! Honestly amazed at this things performance. Having said that not really running any resource intensive apps on her.

V the 10.5", Like the home button free, thinner bezels, sound quality is improved, louder and clearer and the screen is noticeably brighter but no sharper. Power button fingerprint sensor works well but could get fiddly depending what case you put on the iPad.

I'm now kind've wishing I had shelled out the extra R4k odd for the 11" Pro though... There's no ways I'm ever getting used to the 60hz screen. Pro motion is worth 4k, easily, IMHO...

My daughter gets all my hand me down electronics, she's hoping I go back to the 10.5" Pro and give her the Air 4. Little git....
Are you not within the return period for the Air 4? I think you have 7 days to take it back if you really want to, it sounds like you are experiencing a little buyers remorse at moments, I hate it when that happens lol, because the product is pretty much perfect except that one glaring thing you cannot shake.

airborne

Honorary Master
No and I've been whinging about mine since I bought it a few weeks ago.

E.G. reading myBB, to return to the previous page you have to stretch across the entire effing tablet to top left back arrow :mad: :mad::mad::mad:. If there's a way around it please share because it's really, really, really, really annoying.
I also miss the back button when I use an apple device, the back button is incredibly handy.
That only seems to work in the browser?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I also miss the back button when I use an apple device, the back button is incredibly handy.That only seems to work in the browser?

Works everywhere, but I used some Apps might not implement it.

I used it in Tapatalk just now and most others where it makes logical sense.

Email, Twitter, Messages, WhatsApp, Telegram etc.

Doesn’t need two fingers either, just drag a finger from the left edge towards the middle.

In fact it’s the very reason Apple still put bezels there on purpose and why so many Droidits don’t understand why bezel-less is dysfunctional.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Are you not within the return period for the Air 4? I think you have 7 days to take it back if you really want to, it sounds like you are experiencing a little buyers remorse at moments, I hate it when that happens lol, because the product is pretty much perfect except that one glaring thing you cannot shake.
Really considering it!! This 60hz screen is so disappointing coming from 120hz Pro Motion. Took delivery on Tuesday the 29th, if I'm returning it I had better move fast. No dice till Monday... got it through Digicape so would have to ship it back to CT from JHB. I wonder how difficult they'll make it for me to return it? I've tossed the plastic sleeve it comes in...

HoosenE

Off topic, anybody can recommend a good IPad repair technician in JHB area, got 2 I would like to repair and hand down?

sand_man

Honorary Master
So I mailed Digicape re swapping for the 11" Pro. They talking about a 20%-30% handling fee!! Insane!! I'll rather sell it privately... bloody bastards!

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
So I mailed Digicape re swapping for the 11" Pro. They talking about a 20%-30% handling fee!! Insane!! I'll rather sell it privately... bloody bastards!
I swear our retailers are still stuck in the 90s, that is insane.