iPhone 5s officially unveiled

I seem to remember a post from you a whole back where you indicated that you had a number of products with only one being an Apple product and either said or implied that you were impartial because of it.

I'm not making any claims for myself. I try out a lot of different things and stick with what I end up liking. For some reason that always seems to end up being Apple.

Reread the part you quoted. It said that "ONLY" Apple could do it right and that's a bit of a stretch even for Apple fans.
Of course not only Apple could do it right, but it looks like in this case they did. Crowley was being sarcastic, but essentially he was correct. And it's frequently the case that other companies do something first but then Apple comes along and does it right.
 
Are you willing to bet money that these iPhones won't sell more than previous models?

They probably will sell more. The question is how much more. Selling 1 phone more is more but the Apple shareholder certainly won't be happy with that. They are selling less and less as a percentage of the market and thats not a good thing for future value. There is a reason why the share price dropped after the announcement.
 
I'm not making any claims for myself. I try out a lot of different things and stick with what I end up liking. For some reason that always seems to end up being Apple.

Here is the post I was referring to - http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...l-burst-soon?p=8864667&viewfull=1#post8864667

I read it again and the implication to me is that you are not biased towards Apple. Didn't say it outright though.

Of course not only Apple could do it right, but it looks like in this case they did. Crowley was being sarcastic, but essentially he was correct. And it's frequently the case that other companies do something first but then Apple comes along and does it right.

I know he was being sarcastic. The point is that there are a lot of things that other companies do "right". Apple is not the ONLY one who can do things right. Saying that they are the only ones who can get things right paints you with an iSheep brush. They make as many mistakes as other companies. Maps as an example or how about their Apple II sales model.
 
Here is the post I was referring to - http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...l-burst-soon?p=8864667&viewfull=1#post8864667

I read it again and the implication to me is that you are not biased towards Apple. Didn't say it outright though.
I said I'm not a sheep. I'm not. My last set of phones in order were: Lumia 610, Galaxy S1, Lumia 620, Nokia 6210 (yea....), Xperia V, and now 4s. Is it really so bad if after all that I still would prefer an iPhone? To be a sheep is to never try anything else and blindly believe that anything Apple does is better than anything else. I can tell you from personal experience that WP8 is miserable and Android is... better than WP8.

I know he was being sarcastic. The point is that there are a lot of things that other companies do "right". Apple is not the ONLY one who can do things right. Saying that they are the only ones who can get things right paints you with an iSheep brush. They make as many mistakes as other companies. Maps as an example or how about their Apple II sales model.
That's a very biased statement. I thought you said you were neutral.
 
Last edited:
[)roi(];11139171 said:
The important thing to note: is that if someone steals your iDevice, and wipes the phone by installing a fresh copy of the OS (via DFU):
1. The wipe will remove all your stored biometric data, including the link to your iTunes account.
2. If you activated "Find my iPhone"; the device will not be able to be activated by Apple Servers without your iTunes account & password -- rendering the device inoperable.

Of course this is all forfeit if you forget or choose not to activate "Find my iPhone".

So until iOS7 is jailbroken on the recent / new set of iDevices, there is a deterrent.

Even with that Apple will always quickly release counter measure updates, and the iOS community at large are known to update very frequently, so yes this can been seen an effective deterrent.

It's a deterrent but not as much as people think. The checks that they do will be on the weak side in order to prevent locking people out of their phone which means that the false positives will probably be about 1-2 in 100. It would not be tough for a criminal to walk through a township getting people to try and unlock the phone. The odds are about 10% that one of the people in the syndicate would be able to unlock the phone if the syndicate included 10 people.
 
"As the company clarified to the Journal, fingerprint "data" is stored — not an image of the fingerprint itself.""

Huh? All pictures are stored as "data". In this case the data is encrypted. Still doesn't mean someone cannot decrypt that data to create the picture.

No image is stored. The minutia are extracted from the image of the fingerprint. These minutia are the only thing needed to make a comparison with another fingerprint. Normally about 500 bytes.
 
It's a deterrent but not as much as people think. The checks that they do will be on the weak side in order to prevent locking people out of their phone which means that the false positives will probably be about 1-2 in 100. It would not be tough for a criminal to walk through a township getting people to try and unlock the phone. The odds are about 10% that one of the people in the syndicate would be able to unlock the phone if the syndicate included 10 people.

Yea I don't think it's a massive deterrent. Basically anyone who can DFU an iPhone isn't going to have much trouble with fingerprint recognition.
 
It's a deterrent but not as much as people think. The checks that they do will be on the weak side in order to prevent locking people out of their phone which means that the false positives will probably be about 1-2 in 100. It would not be tough for a criminal to walk through a township getting people to try and unlock the phone. The odds are about 10% that one of the people in the syndicate would be able to unlock the phone if the syndicate included 10 people.

Wonder if a auto hard lock feature will be introduced at a later stage to counter this? So for arguments sake, 15 failed authentications and the phone permanently locks you out or reverts to a different means of unlocking IE security questions? PUK number? etc etc
 
I said I'm not a sheep. I'm not. My last set of phones in order were: Lumia 610, Galaxy S1, Lumia 620, Nokia 6210 (yea....), Xperia V, and now 4s. Is it really so bad if after all that I still would prefer an iPhone? To be a sheep is to never try anything else and blindly believe that anything Apple does is better than anything else. I can tell you from personal experience that WP8 is miserable and Android is... better than WP8.

Of course you can can have a preference. I was just saying that my impressions from the other message was that you were trying to come across as not biased.

That's a very biased statement. I thought you said you were neutral.

How is that biased? I was saying that saying only one company can do things right is biased. Apple have had their failures just as HTC/MS/Samsung/etc have had. To say that a certain company is the only one that can only do things right paints that person with a blind fan following brush. I obviously don't think that you believe that Apple is the only one that can do things right which is why I was surprised by the comment.
 
1238108_10151667566121840_1208357109_n.jpg
 
It is not a foolproof form of securitisation against a determined thief. It is a deterrent but there will be some way of getting around it. It's more about preventing unauthorised access to your phone and simplifying the login/authentication process. As a general level of security a fingerprint is actually pretty good.
 
Battery is removable but it takes a bit of time. With the right tools and training at least 9 minutes.

The point is if you've just been pick pocketed like I was at soccer city 3 weeks ago and you have find your iPhone activated you have an opportunity to track your phone unless the perps have switched it off.

If they unable to switch the phone off without pulling the battery there's at least a window of opportunity where one can get their phone back.

Pulling the SIM card would render find my iPhone useless though.... So.....
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X