IS News Server down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yuu, does the downloads really max out when u update your grouplist ? Is it recommended that one updates the grouplist ? I am downloading episodes intl via the news server but speeds are only between 15-22kb/s. If I update the grouplist will my speeds increase or not ? :o
 
Yuu, does the downloads really max out when u update your grouplist ? Is it recommended that one updates the grouplist ? I am downloading episodes intl via the news server but speeds are only between 15-22kb/s. If I update the grouplist will my speeds increase or not ? :o

Nah! It's only while the group list is updating that the line will max. Once the update is complete you will go back to your regular speed!

I don't update groups. I'm not sure that there is any advantage to doing so, using the news server for what I do.
 
The only reason your line will max is because you are downloading the grouplist. So the downloading of the drouplist is fast but your normal downloads are still going the same the speed or slower. That's all I think it is ;)
 
Please post your speed in the last 36hrs and what address you using + the client used to download.

Grabit 1.6.2 Beta
news.is.co.za 5 threads
10-20KB/s [15min bursts of 300KB/s after lots of hrs]

thanks and have a great weekend :p

Yuu
 
Why? Will it make any difference?

It makes much more sense to keep an eye on the server status at newshost.za.net.
 
Grabit 1.6.2 Beta
news.is.co.za 5 threads
10-20KB/s [15min bursts of 300KB/s after lots of hrs]

thanks and have a great weekend :p

Yuu


Same here!!

Why? Will it make any difference?

It makes much more sense to keep an eye on the server status at newshost.za.net.

I guess he just like to know that he's not "suffering" alone. :)
 
Is that what you mean? :D

Not cached unfortunately!
 
Last edited:
my m8 works for IS and he said that newzgroupz wud be throttled from now on becoz there are 2 many peeps using them. soon they gonna start carrying less binrary groups and then l8er stop binaries compleetly. woz gud while it lasted tho.
 
my m8 works for IS and he said that newzgroupz wud be throttled from now on becoz there are 2 many peeps using them. soon they gonna start carrying less binrary groups and then l8er stop binaries compleetly. woz gud while it lasted tho.

They're gonna be selling a lot less accounts if they do that.
 
my m8 works for IS and he said that newzgroupz wud be throttled from now on becoz there are 2 many peeps using them. soon they gonna start carrying less binrary groups and then l8er stop binaries compleetly. woz gud while it lasted tho.
If usability is any indication they've been throttled for quite some time. Good luck to the IS reseller if IS decides to end newsgroup support.
 
What's the SAIX-IS peering like for local games? Thought there was a lot of latency and most of the local servers are SAIX-hosted?
 
my m8 works for IS and he said that newzgroupz wud be throttled from now on becoz there are 2 many peeps using them. soon they gonna start carrying less binrary groups and then l8er stop binaries compleetly. woz gud while it lasted tho.
Is there really anybody to blame for this? Can't say that I'm surprised :(
 
Well there hasn't been anything definitive yet, lets just see what happens. Makes you wonder how different IS really is to Telkom in the end.
 
my m8 works for IS and he said that newzgroupz wud be throttled from now on becoz there are 2 many peeps using them. soon they gonna start carrying less binrary groups and then l8er stop binaries compleetly. woz gud while it lasted tho.

IMO this is how bs rumours get started!

It would be a poor business decision for the bold above reason. I, for one, am only on IS for the news servers. I think this would have a profound effect on openwebs and others business and therefore IS's business. Not sure that they would allow this to happen quietly.

What does your mate do at IS????????????????

Give us a reason to believe him and start protesting!!!!
 
Only reason I could see for IS shutting down their news servers is copyright issues. Don't think they'd jeopardise the source of most of their revenue for no reason.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X