IS News Server down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope MrBeep will explain why cant we download at full speed from news servers
 
I gave up on the news groups a while back, Now the only reason I am with IS is due to openweb , that and they not telkom ... but in terms of added value service IS is doing NO better than telkom.
 
Local content does fly. Download a file like mythbusters from newshost.za.net, try download the par files only and see how slow it is then try download the proper files from news.is.co.za and ull get full speed. Took me 20mins for 380mb. :)
 
True, the cached files i get at full speed too. No problems here, except i can only connect to the new ip with 5 connections =)

Other than that, im pretty happy =)
 
Today I tried the news server for the first time. It's very easy to use once you learn everything. One thing I would like to know is how many maximum connections should I make? This is probably somewhere in this threat but no ways I'm reading 107 pages! Secondly, what is the best site to use for searching? Currently I'm using Newzleech.com. Maybe I'll write up a guide for the noobs sometime.
 
Well I think the max is 4 connections, last I checked but it might have changed since then. So try out, if you create too many some of them won't connect.

http://www.newshost.za.net is a site we created so you can see what content is cached on the news servers. Cached files normally download a lot faster, so sign up and start uploading/downloading :D
 
geting Series like Desperate Housewives, Day Break, Lost, Heroes, Scrubs, 24, House etc would it be better using Torrents, or using the I.S News Server?
 
geting Series like Desperate Housewives, Day Break, Lost, Heroes, Scrubs, 24, House etc would it be better using Torrents, or using the I.S News Server?

news server. it doesn't waste any of your bandwidth on uploading to peers.
 
They all point to the same IP, which is why you won't be able to get more than 4 connections by running them simultaneously. ethon.isdsl is the only one which points to a different IP, however it doesn't connect.
 
running at 30 this side for awhile now

mrg

torrents require expensive saix bandwidth which is download plus upload = kuk load of money

news server = cheap local bandwidth and no upload
its a win win
 
Been like this since I joined few days ago :( but I have H0PE all will be well sometime soon :rolleyes:

Yes speed is from 4KB/s to about 19KB/s but never sticks and sometimes bursts to 100KB/s. Funny thing is if you refresh your grouplist it MAXs out the line.

Anyone can confirm if WebAfrica is shaping iS local which is supposed to be unshaped?

Yuu
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X