IS News Server down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with Omac, even if they don't stop binaries completely we can already see the effects of them throttling and limiting speeds per connection.

It should be how it was before - both servers working with max 4 connections per server so one could get 8 connections in total. That would be a compromise - people get decent speeds and it doesn't put a heavy load on the network.

IMO it's time that the IS resellers need to start doing something about these speeds - work in conjunction with IS to come to a compromise or something. The resellers' business counts on it. These speeds are ridiculous - even for locally cached content. Openweb? Webafrica? Anybody else?
 
Only reason I could see for IS shutting down their news servers is copyright issues. Don't think they'd jeopardise the source of most of their revenue for no reason.
Actually ADSL accounts are only a small portion of their revenue - however it forms the the bulk of the revenue of almost all the resellers. Therefore I think that the resellers need to take the matter up with IS to improve speeds and cut the throttling.
 
Actually ADSL accounts are only a small portion of their revenue - however it forms the the bulk of the revenue of almost all the resellers. Therefore I think that the resellers need to take the matter up with IS to improve speeds and cut the throttling.

I didn't mean in total, I meant in the ADSL sphere. The main/only motivation for using IS over SAIX is cheap local bandwidth, take away one of the main reasons for using that and they'll definitely see ADSL profits drop.
 
Actually ADSL accounts are only a small portion of their revenue - however it forms the the bulk of the revenue of almost all the resellers. Therefore I think that the resellers need to take the matter up with IS to improve speeds and cut the throttling.
My point all along - the resellers should take the initiative and quell, or confirm, any rumours.
 
I didn't mean in total, I meant in the ADSL sphere. The main/only motivation for using IS over SAIX is cheap local bandwidth, take away one of the main reasons for using that and they'll definitely see ADSL profits drop.
My point all along - the resellers should take the initiative and quell, or confirm, any rumours.
Agreed.
 
I don't think Beeps or Equinox ever read this thread due to the size of it. Perhaps we should bring the problem to their attention en masse via PM along with a PM to some of the Webafrica guys?
 
Last edited:
Hi Friends

Thank you for the PM Voodoo.

I will be chatting to the IS guys tomorrow regarding the decrease in speeds.

Off the record I can however comment that another upgrade is scheduled to take place early in 2007. They have already upgraded the server on two different occassions with quite alot of bandwidth and server capacity, however client connections continuously increase.

As an IS reseller, we will continue the fight in favour of the IS News server, as it is a very valuable VAS.

The rumour that IS might discontinue the IS news server is indeed just that, a rumour.

IS fully understands the value of the server, and as said previously, is already working on the third upgrade in only a few months.

I would like to thank OpenWeb clients for their patience regarding this matter, however, sometimes I do understand why some of them has gone so grey.

Kind regards
MrBEEP
 
Hi Beeps,

Thanks for the feedback. The server was working ok when both the host names were running off two different IP's. Any idea as to what logical reason there could be to move both to the same IP?

I'm all for limiting connections to a maximum of 4 (or even 3) in order to ensure that everybody can connect. However what is the need to throttle the speeds per connection? Would it not make business sense for them to introduce additional servers to handle the extra load?
 
Throttling speeds make sense to me. Or else a couple of 4MB users can use up all the capacity. If they throttle it to 20 or 30kb/s everyone should be able to get a decent level of service.

Of course locally cached content should fly! :)
 
The problem is that they seem to have throttled it to like 3kB/s per connection which is ridiculous. I'm fine with 10kB/s per connection, but certainly not 3kB/s.
 
Getting between 9 and 11kb/s with 4 connections. O yes tis sad! Hopefully things will pick up once they upgrade in January...

It's still usable though, albeit a bit frustrating.
 
At least we know something is being done about the slow speeds at the moment.

Newsserver is flying again now. 45kb/s on my 512k:D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X