IS News Server down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LoL, last month was 150+gigs haha ;)

I know Style has done around 80+gigs so far this month off the IS servers, im uncapped for the month so its newshosting (international usenet server) all the way ;)

*EDIT: just to show you how proud i am of being a geek, here is pic of me in all my glory
http://img305.imageshack.us/img305/7821/memo0.jpg
 
Last edited:
ive done 54 gigs this month (only some from news server) and i stil havent been capped :) :) :).........
 
I swear uncapped is better than the normal accounts maybe its just been but wow! if i could sell myself, i would def organise a uncapped account.

IS uncapped = gold
BUT if i could organise a SAIX uncapped, now thats platinum all the way! ;)

I think its going back to the IS news servers after experiencing heaven on the paid newshosting account that is going to really bum me out!
 
lol, ya, atleast im getting 300Kb/s on the news server again ... yay :)
 
Way to go people - keep promoting and advertising the service by keeping this thread alive instead of just letting it die. Just don't bitch and moan when you start getting speeds of 2KB/s because I'll be the first one to tell you to STFU.
You're wasting your breath.
I'm starting to realise that.
 
Last edited:
Way to go people - keep promoting and advertising the service by keeping this thread alive instead of just letting it die. Just don't bitch and moan when you start getting speeds of 2KB/s because I'll be the first one to tell you to STFU.

I'm starting to realise that.

Although I can completely understand why you would say this, it doesn't stop it from bordering on being an ass. What would you have done if no-one told you about the news server?

Let's keep it for ourselves, in our own exclusive little clique...
 
Although I can completely understand why you would say this, it doesn't stop it from bordering on being an ass. What would you have done if no-one told you about the news server?

Let's keep it for ourselves, in our own exclusive little clique...
I understand what you're saying but nobody had to tell me about it. I read up on Usenet and started using it a long time ago while still on dial-up. However when ADSL data was somewhat affordable on SAIX, there was no need for me to use Usenet anymore. But after Telkom/SAIX ended that and started hardcapping, I moved over to IS and started using Usenet again due to local bandwidth being affordable.

So call me an ass if you like, but I did my own reading and figured stuff out by myself. If others are too lazy to do this, why should they be handed it on a silver platter? I understand if they at least make an attempt to try on their own, and PM somebody if they're having difficulty - but now that everything is so open and this thread approaching 30,000 views, I think it's about time those "how do I use the news servers?" type of questions in every second thread stopped, and people started figuring it out on their own again.

The result of freely sharing the ins and outs with lazy dumbasses who haven't heard of google is the 2-10KB/s speeds that everybody is experiencing. If you want the goodies, make an effort to learn about it. The reward will be more worth it.

Now can we please kill this thread?
 
Last edited:
I understand what you're saying but nobody had to tell me about it. I read up on Usenet and started using it a long time ago while still on dial-up. However when ADSL data was somewhat affordable on SAIX, there was no need for me to use Usenet anymore. But after Telkom/SAIX ended that and started hardcapping, I moved over to IS and started using Usenet again due to local bandwidth being affordable.

So call me an ass if you like, but I did my own reading and figured stuff out by myself. If others are too lazy to do this, why should they be handed it on a silver platter? I understand if they at least make an attempt to try on their own, and PM somebody if they're having difficulty - but now that everything is so open and this thread approaching 30,000 views, I think it's about time those "how do I use the news servers?" type of questions in every second thread stopped, and people started figuring it out on their own again.

The result of freely sharing the ins and outs with lazy dumbasses who haven't heard of google is the 2-10KB/s speeds that everybody is experiencing. If you want the goodies, make an effort to learn about it. The reward will be more worth it.

Now can we please kill this thread?

I have to agree 100% with that, i have had to teach myself everything, when i first heard about newsgroups and news servers i didnt think much of it until i started figuring it all out. It really isnt difficult if you just try, there is no harm in trying. I think this thread is going to be like this one - neverending... : http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=18194
 
Although I can completely understand why you would say this, it doesn't stop it from bordering on being an ass. What would you have done if no-one told you about the news server?

Let's keep it for ourselves, in our own exclusive little clique...
Just because you couldn't figure it out yourself that doesnt mean that others lack the capacity to do so. All the information needed to get started has been stated in the forum over and over ad nausium so the most common problem must either be sheer stupidity or absolute laziness.

No one is calling for the deletion of the thread (and hence the loss of all the information possibly needed to get started) but its closure wouldn't be amiss. The rapid influx of users is causing undeniable problems. So sing and dance - praise usenet to the heavens, I rarely even use these servers these days. Just do us all a favour and dont come back whining when things get worse.
 
Just because you couldn't figure it out yourself that doesnt mean that others lack the capacity to do so. All the information needed to get started has been stated in the forum over and over ad nausium so the most common problem must either be sheer stupidity or absolute laziness.

No one is calling for the deletion of the thread (and hence the loss of all the information possibly needed to get started) but its closure wouldn't be amiss. The rapid influx of users is causing undeniable problems. So sing and dance - praise usenet to the heavens, I rarely even use these servers these days. Just do us all a favour and dont come back whining when things get worse.

I did figure it out myself, and didn't get a step by step from anyone, thank you very much. The point is if you have absolutely no idea that usenet exists, how on earth will you go about searching for it?

You won't.

Computer experts tend to go into "screw the world, we're all cool by ourselves" mode. That's the way to do it! Ninjacentral all the way!
 
I did figure it out myself, and didn't get a step by step from anyone, thank you very much. The point is if you have absolutely no idea that usenet exists, how on earth will you go about searching for it?

You won't.

Computer experts tend to go into "screw the world, we're all cool by ourselves" mode. That's the way to do it! Ninjacentral all the way!
Did you ever stop to think why IS doesn't advertise them?

Still, stick a bloody great banner in your sig advertising it for all I care. Until the servers are sorted out you'll only be screwing yourself and every other poor schlep using them. But hey - at least you get to be a savour - or is it martyr? :rolleyes:
 
I did figure it out myself, and didn't get a step by step from anyone, thank you very much. The point is if you have absolutely no idea that usenet exists, how on earth will you go about searching for it?

You won't.

Computer experts tend to go into "screw the world, we're all cool by ourselves" mode. That's the way to do it! Ninjacentral all the way!


brenden dude why not just leave this forum man, your way to cool for us computer geeks and you get laid more

we dont go into screw the world, we go into screw ppl like you who labels us geeks but then come to us for help

if your so clever then go do this kuk yourself and stop chatting here

L put that on your forehead

_I_
 
The day i meet one of those ninjacentral guys in real life, they better run like hell cause im going to klap them silly.

PS. And no way am i jealous that i dont have an account, been there done that, got the sh*tty speeds...
 
Way to go people - keep promoting and advertising the service by keeping this thread alive instead of just letting it die. Just don't bitch and moan when you start getting speeds of 2KB/s because I'll be the first one to tell you to STFU.

Well it all depends on how the IS news servers are run and maintained.

The beauty about the news servers is that the more users there are the more cached content gets downloaded which means that IS start to score the more users there are.
For example instead of 10 people downloading a TV episode they could have 100 people downloading the episode but the episode only needs to be pulled from an international server once. So now per user they're using less international bandwidth (which is expensive) and more local bandwidth (which is cheap).

A lot of people get IS accounts via resellers like OpenWeb solely for access to the news servers.
Telling more people about the news servers means that they sell more accounts which means they should have more money to run and upgrade the news servers.

The problem is IS need to funnel some of the money back into the news servers otherwise a lot of people are going to end up canceling their accounts. :cool:
 
Shouldn't attention be focused on IS for rendering a shoddy service? It has now been 4 months they are trying to sort out the servers. If the servers cannot deal with the load being placed on it they should not sell any further accounts.
 
Paul_S I know what caching is and no offense but that makes no sense. It may help if the file was cached, but what's the point when there's 30,000 people simultaneously connected to the servers, leaving no open connections for others (who actually made an effort to learn about usenet) to use. This is how congestion is caused.

Also the news servers are not the core focus of IS accounts - if that was the case then they would advertise it. If this is what people believe, then let them go ahead and cancel their IS accounts because it's not exactly going to affect their bottom line. Some people are under the impression that IS is some little ISP that will go bankrupt if a few leechers closed their accounts, but they have no idea how large this company is.

So if you want to close your account because you are unable to leech at speeds greater than 2KB/s then go ahead, go leech off SAIX's servers. At the end of the day everybody keeping this thread alive is responsible for the crap speeds that they complain about in this very thread.

VJB 449 read above - the news servers are low priority. If you're not happy with the service then cancel your account.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X