IS News Server down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xbox 360 GAMES :) my new baby
Odd double standard I have but dont mind buying my games. Besides, considering the cost of bandwidth (the games are 6gb and up) and the premium for d/l blank dvd's I'd sooner get the proper version and not worry about flashing my 360 - at most I'd download a demo but even they're 1gb+.
No man there is, all those new movies on circuit at the mo. ;)
I'm a snob :p I wont even consider anything below a dvdscr - waste of bandwidth imo. To be honest I'm even reluctant to d/l anything less than a dvdrip.
 
360kb/s thanks very much. :)


lol. I play poker, so when I saw your smiley in response to the others moaning earlier I figured u were getting good speeds but didnt want to say anything. but we bet and u called ;) haha

Style
 
Hi all, normally you download the nzb files from different sites the use grabit to download it.

But when do you know it is cached locally or only downloading it internationally via the newsservers?
 
Hi all, normally you download the nzb files from different sites the use grabit to download it.

But when do you know it is cached locally or only downloading it internationally via the newsservers?
Try downloading from a local NZB site? ;)
 
So all these people (including me) that get speeds between 10-15kb/s is from international via the newsservers??

And stuff cached locally will be around 50kb/s?

Cached stuff will max your line!
 
Unfortunately somebody else has to suffer through 10-15kB/s before it's cached for others :D

Phew, ain't that the truth!

2 days downloading one movie.

A little theory in the form of a question!

Has IS slowed speeds in responce to newshost.za.net in order to discourage it? When you download a movie it now takes 2 days. You then upload as cached to newshost.za.net. Then you're called a liar as the front of the download has already been over written in the cache. You slowly lose faith in newshost.za.net. The site closes!

It's the conspiracy theorist in me comming out. Is the idea crazy?
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the help. At what point in time does the "newsservers" decided to cached it locally?
Or if I downloaded a movie internationally via the newsserver it would be cached locally??
Chances are once you've downloaded something it will thereafter be cached locally.
 
Thanks for the help. At what point in time does the "newsservers" decided to cached it locally?
Or if I downloaded a movie internationally via the newsserver it would be cached locally??

You download the movie at 10KB/s and for a short period it is locally cached and the rest of us will max our lines downloading it, if we know about it. Hence newshost.za.net.
 
gora sign up on newshost.za.net

After you download a file "internationally", you upload the nzb on the site so others will know that it's cached. Everybody else will also upload their nzb's for you to download so you will know it's cached. We all kind of help each other out there, until such time that IS decides to increase non-cached speeds again.
 
You download the movie at 10KB/s and for a short period it is locally cached and the rest of us will max our lines downloading it, if we know about it. Hence newshost.za.net.


I see, will do so after the series (las vegas) I'm downloading is finish.

gora sign up on newshost.za.net

After you download a file "internationally", you upload the nzb on the site so others will know that it's cached. Everybody else will also upload their nzb's for you to download so you will know it's cached. We all kind of help each other out there, until such time that IS decides to increase non-cached speeds again.

Oh I see, thanks. Will do so. For how long would that file(s) be on the newsserver, for other to download at high speeds??

What can we expect the speed to be once they made the chance?
 
Guys,
One thing I don't understand is that I have dl'd a few nzb's on newshost.za.net which says that it is cached locally, but the speed I'm getting is anything between 5kb/s - 17kb/s - nothing more.
Please help because this is torture - I have a 384 line.
Could it be that I have a router or firewall problem? :(
 
I doubt it, if you had a router or firewall problem there'd probably be no connection at all.
 
But this is REALLY annoying...
I have a dsl512 account at work and there it seemed fine..mind you, that was a week or 2 ago when we went on leave.
Could IS be capping us? I have 5 connections going on nntp.is.co.za - the others mentioned doesn't even connect.
I read somewhere that you have to enter the physical ip addresses of the servers, maybe that's the problem?
Please help!! :confused:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X