Is Vodacom really "updating their customker database"???

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I had a phone call from a lady this morning. She claimed outright that she was from Vodacom and was "updating their customer database"

I asked her how do really know she is from Vodacom, and she said they already have a lot of my details on their database.
She already had my cellphone type, address, e-mail and company name. :wtf:

so in the end all I gave her was a land line number, and the number of employees in our company.

But I'm still a bit skeptical. How do I know she was from Vodacom and not rather from one of the cellular shops trying to canvas for upgrade customers? :erm:

Ivanr

Expert Member
Some time ago I received a email requesting to update my details by clicking on the supplied links, this looked extremely suspect. I did not respond and forwarded as is to VC HQ to investigate, have not had a response yet.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Well, I guess I will just wait and see who contacts us around upgrade time, then I will know who was behind the phone call! :D

TowerGuru

Expert Member
I had a phone call from a lady this morning. She claimed outright that she was from Vodacom and was "updating their customer database"

I asked her how do really know she is from Vodacom, and she said they already have a lot of my details on their database.

so in the end all I gave her was a land line number, and the number of employees in our company.

But I'm still a bit skeptical. How do I know she was from Vodacom and not rather from one of the cellular shops trying to canvas for upgrade customers? :erm:
I would have told her to take a hike. I don't tell people I don't know on the phone anything.

TowerGuru

Expert Member
Not even your name
Not even my name. If i dont know them I dont give them nothing.

I got a call from a marketer the other day looking for some other person and i said i am not him you have the wrong number. they said oh what is your name then and i said do i know you? they said no. i said well im not telling you anything.

Ninja_Boy

Banned

If she was not from vodacom though, what will she do with these details? :erm::confused:

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
If she was not from vodacom though, what will she do with these details? :erm::confused:
She probably got access to some of the details through the Vodacom Retail Service network (the shops that front for Vodacom).
So she took a chance and called hoping to fish for more info.
She will probably call back again when it is upgrade time hoping that I do the upgrade through their outlet.
It is at that point that I will tell her to go take a flying leap.