ISP Review Thread | Compare Your Experiences

Skowt

Agreed, appreciate what you're attempting to achieve.

Surveys should be taken with a pinch of salt though, IMO. We've discussed some of the latest surveys (ISP), and how the results are the way they are.

Agreed. It's hard to pinpoint who exactly will take the survey and who won't. It all depends on time of day, how busy you are, what you're doing and so on. It's crazy.

That's basically another reason I'm doing this thread. Even if we only get 1 other user involved, it's a starting point and maybe we will be able to help out someone looking to buy an account soon.

Loppas

Great thread. I cancelled my 2mbps business afrihost account last month because of repeated latency and packet loss issues that got progressively worse, but speed was always 100% most of the time - probably because my speed is too slow to be affected by the IPC issues. Another issue i noticed was jumpy ping to mweb based servers that was independent of the low IPC capacity e.g. 19-25ms instead of 12ms to a local server, but that was a minor thing.

I'm now upgrading to a 4mb line speed and looking for a new ISP. On my afrihost account my family and I were using between 200-260gb per month. We do a bit a streaming but mostly torrent downloads and I do a lot of online gaming.

I'm considering switching to mweb because iv used friends accounts in the past and even when the accounts were being shaped badly, gaming was always unaffected and as far as i know only P2P is shaped during the daytime. Telkom I'm not sure of, but the 4mbps business uncapped account is within our price range. I just need something where i can use about 400-500gb per month that is not shaped too badly.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

sand_man

Honorary Master
This makes zero sense to me, because as soon as something is perceived to be the best, in public, everyone jumps to it, degrading the general experience for everyone, particularly existing users.

I'm afraid your "working together to have the best" is a pipe dream. But good luck. :)

Do you really believe mass adoption of a particular ISP, by members of this forum, would be sufficient to significantly degrade said network?

I don't but I am basing my theory on a competition Afrihost was running on Twitter a number of years ago where you were asked to guess their daily data usage amount in gb's.

I don't remember the totals but they were ridiculous!!

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Do you really believe mass adoption of a particular ISP, by members of this forum, would be sufficient to significantly degrade said network?

I don't but I am basing my theory on a competition Afrihost was running on Twitter a number of years ago where you were asked to guess their daily data usage amount in gb's.

Remember that forumites use many times more data than the average mom and pop throwing out existing contention ratios quite easily.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Remember that forumites use many times more data than the average mom and pop throwing out existing contention ratios quite easily.
Agreed, but I still wonder to what net effect? I'm not convinced that it would be as significant as we might believe.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master

Absolutely. These polls reach far and wide...