Laptop Insurance - advice needed

cyberghost47

Hi guys.

I purchased a gaming laptop yesterday as I plan on traveling next year. Since these things don't come cheap I want to insure it in case something happens.

I don't currently have ANY form of insurance whatsoever so I can't just "Add" it to my home insurance.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tman*

Expert Member
Get home content insurance and spesify the laptop on the policy. It will be cheaper than getting stand alone insurance for the laptop only. (was cheaper for me in any case)

mr_norris

Expert Member
Laptop insurance is a mixed bag. I have household insurance but I don't think it really helps. When I started out, I was paying R400 a month. After a year of that, I got unhappy and asked them if the laptop is still covered if something happens to it at home - they brought down the cost to R100. In both cases it was insured for R21000.

I feel like there is a ton of room for negotiation. They just start off unreasonably high IMO.

TipCy

but doesn't household insurance only cover you for when something happens to the laptop at home? seeing as he wants to travel with the laptop would they still cover it if something where to happen whilst away from home?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Pineapple insurance or Granadilla.

Both have apps and insurance is instant.

I recommend Granadilla though

orin76

Expert Member
but doesn't household insurance only cover you for when something happens to the laptop at home? seeing as he wants to travel with the laptop would they still cover it if something where to happen whilst away from home?
You can usually specify some kind of "out and about" cover for items like cell phones, laptops etc.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
You specify it and pay an extra premium, my cell, dashcam and such are all listed.

Jase

Executive Member
Same here. I specified my laptop at a certain value (purchase cost). If it gets stolen they pay out the specified amount.