Latest Gumtree scammer

dj_jyno

Expert Member
Hey guys

Put my LG Optimus L1 on Gumtree recently, and received a reply from a Johnny who wanted the phone for his friend in Kempton Park. Offered me R200 extra for shipping. I accepted and they offered to pay via PayFast. Fake payment notification was e-mailed to me from Service@PayFast.co.za < trackingrelease@in.com > Needless to say I played along, just to get the shipping address.

Here are all the details of the scammer, as well as the e-mail address the PayFast notification came from (as per the e-mail header).

Notification address: deseypaul@gmail.com

Name: Israel
Address: 12A Lina Court Casaurina
City: Kempton park
State: Guateng
Cell Phone: 0611858274

Hope this prevents something like this from happening to someone else in future.

saor

Honorary Master
Wish you could register their numbers for all kinds of spam. Thx for posting the info :).

dj_jyno

Expert Member

themank

Damn. When I get scammed messages I usually just reply "nice try scammer". One time the dude actually replied with a "LOL". Next time I'm going to play along with it and send him a fake courier collection receipt.

dj_jyno

Expert Member
Damn. When I get scammed messages I usually just reply "nice try scammer". One time the dude actually replied with a "LOL". Next time I'm going to play along with it and send him a fake courier collection receipt.
I've done that once before as well, and they had the audacity to tell me that I'm trying to scam them :D

biometrics

Honorary Master
Then call a day later to say VAT is due before delivery ...

Akirky

Expert Member
Nobody I know living in Kempton goes near Casaurina street if they can help it. Has a 'little Nigeria' look and feel about it.

iReza

Hi there,
Thanks for the heads up. I put my new iPhone 6 Plus on gumtree and similar thing is happening. Some one her name is LeeAnn gave me the same offer plus R200 for courier and she wants to pay with PayFast. I don't have a payfast account. I just googled "payfast scam in south africa gumtree" and stumbled upon this post. You saved me R13k. Thank you so much!!

chrisc

Executive Member
This fellow (same address, different name) tried the identical trick with me about 10 months ago. He even called me demanding the tracking number and telling me how urgent it was

PayFast will tell you how to beware of fake payment confirmations with "lookalike" email addresses

Now to answer the email from my long-lost rich relative in Belize (didn't know there were rich folk in Belize)....

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
Would be hilarious if you do send fake courier slips and say the courier has a record of the goods being signed for.
Cue them demanding their money back and you sending them fake PayFast proof of payment :D