Latest Gumtree scammer

blowdart18

YIP - original, that's how I picked it up.

However an Average Joe doesn't deal with POPs the whole day so this would seem legit.

ZaheerD

Guys, why dont we slow them down and send them a Virus...

tell them this contains the Tracking information ... and then ... done.

this syndicate has to stop,..save the average joes!

halfmoonforever

Expert Member
Hey guys

Put my LG Optimus L1 on Gumtree recently, and received a reply from a Johnny who wanted the phone for his friend in Kempton Park. Offered me R200 extra for shipping. I accepted and they offered to pay via PayFast. Fake payment notification was e-mailed to me from Service@PayFast.co.za < trackingrelease@in.com > Needless to say I played along, just to get the shipping address.

Here are all the details of the scammer, as well as the e-mail address the PayFast notification came from (as per the e-mail header).

Notification address: deseypaul@gmail.com

Name: Israel
Address: 12A Lina Court Casaurina
City: Kempton park
State: Guateng
Cell Phone: 0611858274

Hope this prevents something like this from happening to someone else in future.
take a **** in the box and send it to him

Shellyb1

Expert Member
Scammer

K_kon@yahoo.com

"Thanks for your swift response. I'm offshore (on sea), I'm buying this as a (BIRTHDAY GIFT) to my cousin who was transferred to West Africa, I'll add an extra R1700 to your final price for this which will be for the shipment of it via DHL post mail and other expenses. I'll be paying you through PayPal. If you are interested kindly get back to me with your PayPal email address so that i can easily transfer the fund to you asap. "

Isymilo

A little context, I was selling my phone on OLX.

This person tried to scam me, here it is as follows:

They asked how much I want, so I said I wanted the price I specified on the ad, I got this response:
"Alright i want it for my friend in Sunnyside but can you assure me it works fine and send me some pics? I can make it R3,200 including postage fee via Postnet/Aramex home deliver. get back to me asap"

I told him I do not have a payfast account, this is the reply I got:
"I would love to do so but due to my work as a marine engineer am not chanced at all bear with me.....i only have access to my payfast acct"

I thereafter told him okay I do have a payfast account, he said he needs my name and email address, I gave it to him. He then asked me if I had received a payment notification, which I did (fake obviously). I asked him for a shipping address.

They gave me a shipping address.
"Here is the shipping address

Name: Steven
Address: 102 Bonaventure,Cnr Jorrison&vos Sunnyside
City: Pretoria
Code:0002
Cell Phone: 0717482927

Make sure they do it for you overnight shipment home delivery door to door at Postnet"

These guys are idiots for trying it out. I just wish I could see the look on his face when I told him later on that I do not have a payfast account, so how did I receive a payment notification lol :D

voldoverse

hahaha i would have spent money on aramex just to send him one of my dogs turds

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
Scammers will always exist because of two things. Greed and stupidity.

Square_Eyed

They asked how much I want, so I said I wanted the price I specified on the ad, I got this response:
"Alright i want it for my friend in Sunnyside but can you assure me it works fine and send me some pics? I can make it R3,200 including postage fee via Postnet/Aramex home deliver. get back to me asap"

I just had the exact text mailed to me from a guy identifying himself as

Christo Steyn

christosteyn1212@gmail.com

+27640646214

Boeta B

A little context, I was selling my phone on OLX.

This person tried to scam me, here it is as follows:

I told him I do not have a payfast account, this is the reply I got:
"I would love to do so but due to my work as a marine engineer am not chanced at all bear with me.....i only have access to my payfast acct"

I thereafter told him okay I do have a payfast account, he said he needs my name and email address, I gave it to him. He then asked me if I had received a payment notification, which I did (fake obviously). I asked him for a shipping address.

They gave me a shipping address.
"Here is the shipping address

Name: Steven
Address: 102 Bonaventure,Cnr Jorrison&vos Sunnyside
City: Pretoria
Code:0002
Cell Phone: 0717482927

Make sure they do it for you overnight shipment home delivery door to door at Postnet"

These guys are idiots for trying it out. I just wish I could see the look on his face when I told him later on that I do not have a payfast account, so how did I receive a payment notification lol :D
these scammers, they all speak the same. many times i've read this that gives it all away that they a scammer. i've heard it so many times. "please bear with me"...

and then they want to use paypal or payfast to do the transaction. and they usually wanna pay the full price without even negotiating

Jcnolte

I sell laptops online and received the exact same messages from this guy. Obviously I sensed something was off cause his messages are odd. Sent him a nasty reply just now, but also feel like sending him a turd

mayurh

Expert Member
lucky i googled this.was very suspicious
thanks for putting this post

angotull

So right now the "camera" thats on its way to that address is going to be a very glittery surprise :D

Baldspot

The scammer is back on Gumtree...now just under the name of Craig Hanafey <craigmhanafey100@gmail.com>

This was his plot in response to my ad to sell a pool table.

"I am really interested in buying this for my cousin as a surprise for him, only if you can assure me that everything is in order, I am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore I really want this to be a surprise for my cousin so I won't let him know anything about this until it gets delivered to him, I am sure he will be more than happy with it.It will be secured paying via PayFast as I'm on a rig offshore.So let me know if you have an account with Payfast so I can make the payment. Note well: Pick up agent will come for the pick up as soon as I have made the payment."

I smelt a rat so kept him going and he followed up with "Thanks for the mail, but I need to inform you about this, I got a message from the pick up agent, am most sure I include that in my previous emails, he said he wouldn't be able to come for the pickup unless I pay him the agent commission fee via shop-rite first in order to be able to schedule a pick up time, I would have love to pay him directly via shop-rite but there is no way I can pay online! So I have to ask you to help me with the pickup fees, I will include the R2,450 he has charged me to pick up the item with a (1st class treatment), to the payment I will be sending to your Payfast account, so after I have made the payment I will need you to help me send the R2,450 to the pick up agent through Shop-rite.I will send total payment into your Payfast account, which include charges for sending the fund to the agent is that clear to you? I will make the payment as soon as you agree to help me with this."

LOL...who buys a pool table for their cousin anyway????

Docksider

Respam them with websites which we cannot mention here for age restrictions

Werfetter

How about we crowdfund sending these guys boxes full of dog s**t. I can make decent contribution from my two Labradors...

</in my best TV salesman voice>For a mere R5 a week and a bag full of dog excrement you too can ensure a scammer has a worse day than you do :crylaugh:

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
Had another one recently, selling phone: make arrangements to meet, get there, little late he whatsapps "sorry, tied up at work - I'll send an Uber driver to collect, pls forward banking details."

Ya boet - jysifokken "uber driver." I know I look simple but this oke didn't even see me first.