Linux Distros - Where To Download Locally.

Jahmon

As the title says - linux distros and where to download locally for those of us who wish to save bandwidth - can a mod please sticky this - will add links as people provide them. The reason for this - local bandwidth is cheap - some ftp's are often slow while others are fast - most stock the same distro's with one or two discrepancies here and there - but this at least allows you to see which site is fastest for your download while being able to use local bandwidth - thanks to all who contribute.

Edit: Have pm'd bwana to sticky this - if you find it useful and would not like to see it fade in to obscurity then I suggest you do the same. Happy Hunting.

J

So far:

ftp://ftp.up.ac.za/
ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.za/
ftp://ftp.leg.uct.ac.za/
ftp://ftp.sun.ac.za/
ftp://ftp.is.co.za/ (thanks highflyer_gp)
ftp://ftp.uwc.ac.za/ (thanks swift-wp)
ftp://ftp.saix.co.za/pub/linux/distributions/ (thanks myworld)
http://mirrors.telkomsa.net/pub/linux/ (thanks froot)

Thread updated as of 29/12/08

Last edited:

.Froot.

Executive Member
This is like the 1000th thread on this. Hope someone's gonna sticky this.
I use ftp.up.ac.za too. I always get high speeds of their server, although it is not an official mirror. It does not have all the distro's, though.

Jahmon

This is like the 1000th thread on this. Hope someone's gonna sticky this.
I use ftp.up.ac.za too. I always get high speeds of their server, although it is not an official mirror. It does not have all the distro's, though.
Thanks its been added already - and got it stickied :)

Logo

Alternative

I see that bar one site all of the sites listed here are at universities. Rather use mirror.ac.za which is hosted by Tenet.

chiskop

Executive Member
I see that bar one site all of the sites listed here are at universities. Rather use mirror.ac.za which is hosted by Tenet.
Um, you do realise that tenet is an abbreviation for Tertiary Network? :) What difference does it make who hosts the mirrors?

Ryder_JHB

Expert Member
If you really want to save bandwidth, and get the latest (and older) distros in record time, at high speed, for free :D, then join your local WUG! :D

Logo

Um, you do realise that tenet is an abbreviation for Tertiary Network? :) What difference does it make who hosts the mirrors?
The difference is that the universities buy bandwidth from Tenet, and some of the sites have very limited bandwidth available. If you have a good ADSL connection you will get better speeds using mirror.ac.za

wesleyfraser

Hi Guys, I am looking for openSUSE 11.0 and I don't have the cap to download it, could anyone possible write it on dvd and I can come and collect? I am in the Midrand area...

Thanks in advance