Looking for the Best Surround Sound System

FUTLORD_ZA

I'm wondering what's the Best System for a decent price , I'm a gamer but also sometimes Max the volume to listen to music, I'd say i have a budget of 3K-5K...less would be welcome I also want the system to have Optical Inputs for my console to play good high quality sound, If possible plz link me any suggestions. Thank you

marlin178

Expert Member
I'm wondering what's the Best System for a decent price , I'm a gamer but also sometimes Max the volume to listen to music, I'd say i have a budget of 3K-5K...less would be welcome I also want the system to have Optical Inputs for my console to play good high quality sound, If possible plz link me any suggestions. Thank you ��

I bought myself an onkyo ht5805 for around R5k a year or 2 ago. I'm no gamer but what I love about it is the fact that you can upgrade the speakers at a later date if you want and the performance of the package is epic with loads of inputs (incl optical and hdmi plus the usual others)

For this type of money I would stay well clear of the cinema in the box solutions offered by Samsung/lg etc...

Always look for something that you can upgrade as opposed to having to buy a new system.

That's my 2C worth

ponder

Honorary Master
^ Good advice, you can't beat such a setup.

I'm using a NAD T751 in stereo mode ( don't have space for all the speakers wich I'm thinking of flogging) since my NAD 3020i popped one of it channels.

You can pick up some great AV receivers for cheap secondhand.

KaMoS

Expert Member
Don't think they sell these anymore, but if you can get your hands on one of these second hand, I am still surprised after so many years how amazing they sound, don't be fooled by there size...

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/z5500-digital-51-speaker-system

They don't sell these anymore but you can probably find a second hand set or it's replacement, Z906, for under R5000.

What is the setup you want, 2.0, 2.1, 5.0, 5.1, 7.1? My opinion is that a 2.0 or 2.1 setup is best for gaming but there are few things to consider:

• If clarity above all else is important to you, and you think explosion effects etc get in the way of your gaming experience then go with good bookshelf speakers.
  • If you want a fuller audio experience which more closely resembles a well tuned theatre mix then go with good 2.1 speakers.
  • If you like more melodic, faster paced music - orchestral, 8-bit, spanish guitar, etc go with good bookshelf speakers.
  • If you have a more general taste which spans to include the above but also elements of electronica, rock, rap, r&b, pop, etc go with good 2.1 speakers.

If you go 2.1, I suggest Corsair SP2500 and 2.0 I'd suggest a pair of bookshelf studio monitors.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Incredible Connection has the Logitech Z506 for R1799. Its a really good set of speakers imo, and the price is not bad.

Thor

Honorary Master
Logitech Z906, 5.1 Speakers.

Nothing compares

Beavis

Yes personally don't know why they discontinued the z5500, I have listened to the Z906 and they are not even in the same category imo.

Ninja_Theory

Are sound bars any good?

Well yes if you get a decent one and you don't mind virtual surround or stereo. Make sure you get it with a bass bin of you go soundbar. Also they're kinda convenient depending on your setup eg like in the bedroom.