Lost text (sms: messages from overseas

WisDumb

Hi,
I'm having what I think is a "porting" problem.

I've recently returned to Cape Town from a job in Australia. I got a CellC starter pack, and used that for 3 weeks, but found the signal wasn't strong in the area I've rented a room. After asking the folk who live there, I decided to port my number to Vodacom, which I did on the 21st Jan 2016.

Now I've discovered that text messages originating overseas are not being delivered to my phone. Texts from local phones arrive correctly. Who do I tell / how do I get this resolved?

How do I know? Some friends in the U.K.have been sending me sms texts that never arrive. They contacted me via Facebook yesterday to ask why I never respond. So we did some experiments, and sure enough, even if they reply to a text I send them, their texts are getting lost.

So I left a request on Facebook for people in Australia and the U.S. to send me texts (to verify if it's only a U.K. problem) and tell me when they did via FB. I've now got the reply via FB, but no text arrived.

Could the texts still be getting sent to CellC even tho I've ported the number to Vodacom?

Last edited:

User52

Is it not because they have your number as 0######### rather than +27#########? I fixed someones phone that way because WhatsApp was linked to old number from another country.

The Voice

Honorary Master
Is it not because they have your number as 0######### rather than +27#########? I fixed someones phone that way because WhatsApp was linked to old number from another country.
Yeah, maybe this.

Drop the first zero on your UK friends' numbers and add +44, then do the same on yours, but add +27.