Man killed by pitbulls

Got nothing to do with culture. Those are my personal views.

And your personal views are partly made up from the culture you grew up in...and the cultural generalisations do to a degree hold true in terms of the way people treat pets in their household....

And you are welcome to your personal views as am I... even if they're different...
 
Depends on the culture you're dealing with...

Mine are part of my family, and I would have it no other way. People who have an issue with how I treat my animals in that respect can find another house to visit and not mine.

And that is fine, iirc you have Bullterriers. They are your dogs and you can treat them anyway you want. But don't turn around and tell others how to treat theirs (not that you have, just making a point)

I know my dogs can and will kill a fully grown man no problem. I have them as guard dogs and treat them as such. I will not want guard dogs and treat them like kids. It just doesn't work. I'll get a poodle then or something :p
 
And your personal views are partly made up from the culture you grew up in...and the cultural generalisations do to a degree hold true in terms of the way people treat pets in their household....

And you are welcome to your personal views as am I... even if they're different...

The vast majority of the people I grew up with treat dogs like you do. So no if anything it's a complete 180 from the culture I grew up in.
 
The vast majority of the people I grew up with treat dogs like you do. So no if anything it's a complete 180 from the culture I grew up in.

Well thats actually very interesting...... not necessarily an outlier but just different from my experience...
 
And that is fine, iirc you have Bullterriers. They are your dogs and you can treat them anyway you want. But don't turn around and tell others how to treat theirs (not that you have, just making a point)

I know my dogs can and will kill a fully grown man no problem. I have them as guard dogs and treat them as such. I will not want guard dogs and treat them like kids. It just doesn't work. I'll get a poodle then or something :p

That I do.. and no I definitely don't tell others how to treat their dogs, unless they are actively abusing or mistreating their dogs....

I also know that my dogs can and will kill a fully grown man without a problem (that actually applies to almost any medium to large breed really), but they are my pets, the guard dog aspect is secondary for me.... they provide me hours of enjoyment and love....
 
That I do.. and no I definitely don't tell others how to treat their dogs, unless they are actively abusing or mistreating their dogs....

I also know that my dogs can and will kill a fully grown man without a problem (that actually applies to almost any medium to large breed really), but they are my pets, the guard dog aspect is secondary for me.... they provide me hours of enjoyment and love....

I know you don't :p that's why I added that bit.

Bullterriers scare the shyte out of me :o I won't even allow them on my property... EVER.

That is the thing about perceptions, and how I get so passionate about people beating down on Pitbulls. They are dangerous but amazing dogs, they just need the right owners. Just like Bullterriers need the right owners :)
 
Depends on the culture you're dealing with...

Mine are part of my family, and I would have it no other way. People who have an issue with how I treat my animals in that respect can find another house to visit and not mine.

Zeus can be in the house and is adult and child friendly and is part of the family, he is my liefie diefie. He is alert and will storm at unknown intruders.

Boomer has no manners, so he must stay outside and gets locked away when there are guests. Wide awake and first to hear things out of place, not the bravest though.

Bob is a mean ahole, so he must stay outside and gets locked away when there are guests. He will surely bite a criminal, which is his job.
 
I know you don't :p that's why I added that bit.

Bullterriers scare the shyte out of me :o I won't even allow them on my property... EVER.

That is the thing about perceptions, and how I get so passionate about people beating down on Pitbulls. They are dangerous but amazing dogs, they just need the right owners. Just like Bullterriers need the right owners :)

100%...

Pitties are awesome in the right environment...

Not my cup of tea from a dog point of view, but I can see why some people love them (and for anyone reading this, NOT the negative stereotypes in terms of fighting etc, but the great personalities etc that they have)
 
Zeus can be in the house and is adult and child friendly and is part of the family, he is my liefie diefie. He is alert and will storm at unknown intruders.

Boomer has no manners, so he must stay outside and gets locked away when there are guests. Wide awake and first to hear things out of place, not the bravest though.

Bob is a mean ahole, so he must stay outside and gets locked away when there are guests. He will surely bite a criminal, which is his job.

And that is responsible "parenting" from owning animals.. you have identified the behaviour patterns in your animals and work with that.
 
Zeus can be in the house and is adult and child friendly and is part of the family, he is my liefie diefie. He is alert and will storm at unknown intruders.

Boomer has no manners, so he must stay outside and gets locked away when there are guests. Wide awake and first to hear things out of place, not the bravest though.

Bob is a mean ahole, so he must stay outside and gets locked away when there are guests. He will surely bite a criminal, which is his job.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to supersunbird again.

Perfect example ^^

Lets assume they are the exact same breed, they all have different temperaments. You are a good owner for knowing their temperament and taking precautions.

Now give a dangerous dog breed like Pitbull to someone who has never owned a dog before in their life, or who wants one to please their ego and you have things happen like in the OP. I know Pitbulls so well, I can see the problem ones from very early on. I have friends who I have told to get rid of certain dogs as it will become an issue and they have. You get some seriously farked up dogs from birth. Just not worth the risk in the end. Give that dog to someone who has a very specific need for that dog like being in a camp in the day and free in the yard at night as an example. It's going to kill someone.

KNOW YOUR DOGS!
 
I am generally apprehensive when it comes to Pitbulls.
Staffies less so, they are joyful, playful dogs. They never ever seem to be in a bad mood and they are generally quiet.

I will never understand why people raise their dogs to be overtly aggressive. People should really research about a dog breed and train them properly.

Quick history trip: the British Staffordshire Terrier was bred for both bull/bear baiting and dog fighting and it also provided the foundation for the American Pit Bull Terrier and Amstaff when English and Irish immigrants brought them to America.

As with all large terriers, a staffie is still to be treated with respect and handled responsibly regardless of its demeanour because there is still a game dog lurking in there.
 
Last edited:
They should just allow people to keep Lions to protect their properties.
They are just cats after all.
 
Quick history trip: the British Staffordshire Terrier was bred for both bull/bear baiting and dog fighting and it is also provided the foundation for the American Pit Bull Terrier and Amstaff when English and Irish immigrants brought them to America.

As with all large terriers, a staffie is still to be treated with respect and handled responsibly regardless of its demeanour because there is still a game dog lurking in there.

My wife's cousin has these Amstaff dogs... geesus they are beautiful!!!
 
They should just allow people to keep Lions to protect their properties.
They are just cats after all.

I'm of the belief that a house cat would be as vicious as a lion if it was as large.
 
Can confirm that it works. To elaborate;

You don't just choke; you choke, pull the dog up off of its front feet (it will run out of oxygen and release) and twist them away from one another. Don't pull them backwards away from one another. Pulling backwards can increase injuries if their bites are still locked and it allows them to maintain eye contact, a major thing when it comes to dogs and aggression. Twisting them away serves to break eye contact and this can assist in calming things down faster. With their front legs off the ground they lose a lot of their leverage while giving you leverage to manhandle them and it increases pressure on their airways.

Your dog (any dog) should also wear a collar permanently as it can be used in the unfortunate event of a fight/attack as you don't have to waste time looking for a leash or belt. Just grab and twist the collar then lift the dog.

You are giving serious advice here and treating it like fact. source?
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X