MiFi to Wireless Router

Shiveer

Hi Guys does anyone know if this is even possible.

I have a Telkom Mega 200 wireless router (renting so no ADSL) but I have a network setup PC, Xbox360, BlueRay Player and TV all wired to the device as a "hub" in a sense so everything can talk to each other and I can use DLNA from my Z10 to play stuff on my TV etc.

I want know if it is possible to "bridge" the mifi device to my router so all devices can always use the internet?

Basically some devices can only connect via RJ45 as the wireless dongles are insanely expensive (R1000+)

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Alternatively, why not get any ADSL router (with built-in wifi) with 3G fallback?

Then you can use this as a 3G router.

Plus of this is that should you get ADSL, you don't need to buy a new router as you already got one...

Shiveer

The issue is that I am on a short term lease at my current address thats why I have opted for the mobile option would just like to connect this to my other wired devices, if I get a a modem with 3G fallback would I be able to connect the MiFi device via USB to that router's USB? or would I need to buy a separate USB Stick?

krono9

Just make sure of compatibility too. I have a recent 8ta huawei E355 3g dongle.. but it wont work with my recent BIllion 3G 700NX router :(

gareths

Alternatively, if your main router supports DD-WRT firmware to be loaded, you can create a bridge wireless SSID between your current router and the Mifi router with both devices on the same network subnet (i.e 192.168.1.0/24). DHCP will have to be enabled only on one device though. In your case maybe your main router (which is probably the case already), but setting the default gateway to the Mifi router's IP with correct DNS servers...etc

I have this setup at home, a bridged SSID between my ADSL router and my Mifi router (for work network), so whenever I need to do work, I just turn on the Mifi router and I have access to my work network, while still using the ADSL for general browsing.

Hope this helps

Shiveer

Alternatively, if your main router supports DD-WRT firmware to be loaded, you can create a bridge wireless SSID between your current router and the Mifi router with both devices on the same network subnet (i.e 192.168.1.0/24). DHCP will have to be enabled only on one device though. In your case maybe your main router (which is probably the case already), but setting the default gateway to the Mifi router's IP with correct DNS servers...etc

I have this setup at home, a bridged SSID between my ADSL router and my Mifi router (for work network), so whenever I need to do work, I just turn on the Mifi router and I have access to my work network, while still using the ADSL for general browsing.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the reply however I am not sure if the Mega 200 routers support this though

There is a bridge mode just confused on the actual steps to get both devices on the same network?

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Hi Guys does anyone know if this is even possible.

I have a Telkom Mega 200 wireless router (renting so no ADSL) but I have a network setup PC, Xbox360, BlueRay Player and TV all wired to the device as a "hub" in a sense so everything can talk to each other and I can use DLNA from my Z10 to play stuff on my TV etc.

I want know if it is possible to "bridge" the mifi device to my router so all devices can always use the internet?

Basically some devices can only connect via RJ45 as the wireless dongles are insanely expensive (R1000+)
Easy

Leave your current setup EXACTLY like it is.

Assuming the Mifi device has an RJ45 port, unplug the router and plug in the Mifi and give it a static IP within the same subnet as that which the router assigns. While you're at it note the mac address of the device

Plug back in the router and define the static IP for the Mifi.

Connect the Mifi via LAN cable to a free port on the router.

Now on ALL devices whuch you want to connect to the internet you have to change the Default Gateway to the static IP of the Mifi