Migrating while with Vodacom on Vumatel?

JasperJon

As the result of a pretty convoluted situation Vodacom is my current FTTH ISP. I'm having a terrible time with the router situation, as the Huawei router that they supplied doesn't suite my needs, and they've gone to great lengths to prevent users from using their own routers.

When I phoned Vumatel before Vodacom had activated the line they told me that I would need to cancel with Vodacom before being able to sign a contract with another ISP, which pretty much locked me in with them for this month.

Is there absolutely no way for me to switch ISPs during this month? Is it entirely in the hands of Vodacom?

Totempole

Expert Member
As the result of a pretty convoluted situation Vodacom is my current FTTH ISP. I'm having a terrible time with the router situation, as the Huawei router that they supplied doesn't suite my needs, and they've gone to great lengths to prevent users from using their own routers.

When I phoned Vumatel before Vodacom had activated the line they told me that I would need to cancel with Vodacom before being able to sign a contract with another ISP, which pretty much locked me in with them for this month.

Is there absolutely no way for me to switch ISPs during this month? Is it entirely in the hands of Vodacom?
Really? How does Vodacom work that you can't use your own router? I thought you could use your own router regardless of the ISP over Vuma.

ghostR

Executive Member
That's correct, that's the terms from Vumatel in terms of cancellation period. You need to cancel with Vodacom first and then at the end of the month you can sign up with another ISP.

What ISP are you going to Move to, don't choose another corporate like vodacom.

JasperJon

Vodacom doesn't give out their PPPOE login details and so it becomes difficult to setup your own router, even if you're using things like MAC spoofing. There has been a lot of discussion about this here. I may be wrong, but I believe that this comes down to Vodacom wanting to retain the ability to access users' routers remotely in order to cut costs.

JasperJon

Thanks for the response!

I have been thinking of going with Cool Ideas. My ADSL ISP was Afrihost and I was relatively happy with them, although experienced a lot of throttling, which we were actually able to get around with a VPN subscription. However, I would like to circumvent that all together, and I know that Cool Ideas is well regarded as an ISP that doesn't shape traffic.

Which ISPs seem to be the most open to users controlling their own network setups? The Vodacom model just seems ridiculous to me

DERoestorf

Thanks for the response!

I have been thinking of going with Cool Ideas. My ADSL ISP was Afrihost and I was relatively happy with them, although experienced a lot of throttling, which we were actually able to get around with a VPN subscription. However, I would like to circumvent that all together, and I know that Cool Ideas is well regarded as an ISP that doesn't shape traffic.

Which ISPs seem to be the most open to users controlling their own network setups? The Vodacom model just seems ridiculous to me
Cool ideas. I got my router from them, then decided I prefer my own, plugged in the router, and it was working.

I have full control over my router setting.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Thanks for the response!

Cool Ideas, Rocketnet and a few others, just make sure you don't go with a ISP that uses PPPOE over fibre

ghostR

Executive Member
Thanks for the response!

Go with Cool Ideas.

JasperJon

Thank you for the responses, everyone! I think I will probably go with Cool Ideas!