Mind the speed ISP

Thestealth

Expert Member
Really having spotty internet again. Very up and down the last two months.

On another note. Can the Zyxel routers supplied by MTS handle the upgraded 200mb speeds? I see my up and download speeds are both at 100mb so I'm assuming the router is limiting the down speed to 100mb only ..?(although it normally sits at 80 to 90 in any case)
I can't vouch for 200Mbs with their router but I had issues with intermittent wifi connectivity on a 50Mbs line. Replaced it with a TP-Link - haven't looked back.

Mr Smooth

Yip, same here. Openserve dropped 20 times from last week Friday till today. Failed to authenticate ourselves to peer is the error code
I wonder if it’s either Openserve, MTS or the Zyxel modem where the connection drops all the time.

netstrider

Expert Member
Has anyone tried LTE routers such as B618 and B818 for the WAN over fibre?

Asking since I have the B818 and I'd like to continue using that - having MTN sim as failover if fibre is down.

It has Giga ethernet ports so I'm assuming should be ok for 100/100 line?

RVFmal

Expert Member
What routers do MTS supply? Currently using my own Asus DSL-AC52U and looking to move to them as ISP. Just wondering if worth taking them up on the "free router" to use or at the very least as BU to existing.

R4m80

What routers do MTS supply? Currently using my own Asus DSL-AC52U and looking to move to them as ISP. Just wondering if worth taking them up on the "free router" to use or at the very least as BU to existing.
They supply cheap ass Zyletel or something to that effect. I honestly won't recommend them as an ISP. Their service has been very bad lately. Lots of uncommunicated outages.

RVFmal

Expert Member
They supply cheap ass Zyletel or something to that effect. I honestly won't recommend them as an ISP. Their service has been very bad lately. Lots of uncommunicated outages.
Hmmmm, apart from a few members here having had some issues over the last couple of weeks, they do tend to have a good rating on HP and others. Will give it some more thought.

R4m80

Hmmmm, apart from a few members here having had some issues over the last couple of weeks, they do tend to have a good rating on HP and others. Will give it some more thought.
They do also charge you to upgrade or downgrade your line speed.

JamesBoy

I've can't complain about their service personally and for the amount I've already saved by moving over last year I have no intention of moving away from them currently.

As for the router just be aware that if they supply it that they will then manage it too so you won't be able to configure it as you'd like (well there is a way but you should not be required to jump through hoops so use the cash towards a router of your choice or just buy your own upfront). At the same time the default router they provide is better than the default one provided by another "top" ISP that still hasn't come to collect the one they supplied me back then...

isie

Honorary Master
they supply a Zyxel VMG3625-T20A , if you don't know what you doing best to just go for theirs (just know that they manage everything) - but I'm guessing you know so what you doing so don't go for it :)
I took their second option where they subsidise like 800 bucks and you take what ever router you want and you pay the difference (if they can source it) and you manage it how you see fit (there a clawback on taking their router or the subsidy 6 month i think)
if you happy with your ASUS you might as well keep it and skip the clawback period , but Im happy with them so don't think you will want to change.

Last edited:

Drone 42

they supply a Zyxel VMG3625-T20A , if you don't know what you doing best to just go for theirs (just know that they manage everything) - but I'm guessing you know so what you doing so don't go for it :)
I took their second option where they subsidise like 800 bucks and you take what ever router you want and you pay the difference (if they can source it) and you manage it how you see fit (there a clawback on taking their router or the subsidy 6 month i think)
if you happy with your ASUS you might as well keep it and skip the clawback period , but Im happy with them so don't think you will want to change.
Same here, got them to source a Mikrotik for me and just payed the difference, I think R600. Not many problems with them so far, and they are the cheapest on Vumatel for my package.

Half_Frog

Expert Member
Same here, got them to source a Mikrotik for me and just payed the difference, I think R600. Not many problems with them so far, and they are the cheapest on Vumatel for my package.
I had my own Mikrotik that I manage myself. Was a mission to get the PPPOE details from them

Half_Frog

Expert Member
lol seriously?
They actually gave mines like almost a month before.
It took like 5 calls before the dude realized I wasnt using their crappy router. BTW the router they sent didnt have any config so it wouldnt have worked

isie

Honorary Master
It took like 5 calls before the dude realized I wasnt using their crappy router. BTW the router they sent didnt have any config so it wouldnt have worked
ahh - call centre I only deal for account and payment queries - technical stuff i have never called - just email(or use the contact us template on the website) and they get back to me quite quick(during their working hours).

Question if you were using your own why did you bother to take their Zyxel?

Half_Frog

Expert Member
ahh - call centre I only deal for account and payment queries - technical stuff i have never called - just email(or use the contact us template on the website) and they get back to me quite quick(during their working hours).

Question if you were using your own why did you bother to take their Zyxel?
I wasnt planing on using my own but once I saw what router they use I opted for the mikrotik

SHANRSA

Has anyone tried LTE routers such as B618 and B818 for the WAN over fibre?

Asking since I have the B818 and I'd like to continue using that - having MTN sim as failover if fibre is down.

It has Giga ethernet ports so I'm assuming should be ok for 100/100 line?
I am using my B618, plug in cable from ONT to wan port, change network to PPPOE with dynamic IP, enter the ISP credentials and away you go, works perfectly.

netstrider

Expert Member
I am using my B618, plug in cable from ONT to wan port, change network to PPPOE with dynamic IP, enter the ISP credentials and away you go, works perfectly.
Can you do a speedtest here:

I'm interested in the bufferbloat score there - not worried about the speed.

Half_Frog

Expert Member
67807492.png