Mind the speed ISP

INOfentse

Seems like there is a issue again and the move of their phones to AWS did not work

Phones are down
Mails dont get answered

Their status page shows a major outage in JHB

Anyone else having issues
Yes, I had issues as well this morning. I fell back to Rain connection but we know how reliable that is.

mjzar

Howdy.

I got that from their status site: https://status.mindthespeed.co.za/ under the "Past Incidents" section.

- First I checked their site (same section): no incidents
- Tried calling them and gave up after five "network busy" errors
- Sent an e-mail to support@mindthespeed.co.za to log a ticket
- Got back a reply which I then found was a copy paste from their status site that had then been updated (verbatim message)

Nothing logged as closed yet from my side however my connection has been up for a while now.
Thanks. I see that now, there's a hyperlink under the 'Past Incidents' section. Didnt realize those were clickable :)

isie

Honorary Master
Received this now:

Morning,

Apologies for the outage yesterday, there was an IPv6 multicast storm originating from the SA Digital Villages network yesterday morning that brought our core network down at 07H45. Storm control on the Cisco switch interfaces facing SADV did no detect this which it should have done, this has been escalated to Cisco. We immediately dispatched technicians to the data centre and had removed the cross-connects to SADV by 08H33, which then allowed the network to stabilise and start allowing clients to authenticate again.

SADV continued to work on the issue on their side and we reconnected the SADV network directly to a router to isolate the SADV network from our core network switches. SADV clients were back in service later in the morning.

With the change of the SADV network to Vumatel the SADV direct connections are due to be moved to the existing Vumatel network interfaces at the data centre, SADV is now prioritising this migration.

We have set up a new telephone system in the Amazon AWS cloud, we are busy porting our numbers away from our network to completely separate the telephone system so that it will be available to you regardless of our network, as there will be no dependency on our network. We will prioritise the completion of this.

Once again apologies for the outage.

Kind regards,
Mind the Speed - Management

mjzar

Just checked my logs, service has been up since 10:44am yesterday. Line hasn't dropped for me yet :)

I'm on what was SADV (Vuma Villages I think?)

HowTo

Expert Member
It seems there was a disruption again for a min or two. Could not serve what so ever. Hour glass swirling around.
Vuma-Ont looked fine.
Netflix also dipped.

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
Has anyone received updates regarding the speed upgrades from Openserve filtering through to MTS...? Isn't it effective from the beginning of March..?

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
According to them, they still in discussions.
Discussions on what..? I thought it was a given that there would be no extra cost for the upgrades.

Are the other ISPs following suite..?

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Discussions on what..? I thought it was a given that there would be no extra cost for the upgrades.

Are the other ISPs following suite..?
Openserve have two costs 1) line rental which has decreased and 2) IPC costs. So with your line cost going down if they upgrade your speed for free their IPC and transit costs increase since you have access to faster speeds meaning you can use more data (the potential is there).

Thestealth

Expert Member
Received this now:
These issues are becoming more common on their network, followed by the standard scripted apology blaming someone for impacting their customers. Time to start looking around.

isie

Honorary Master
These issues are becoming more common on their network, followed by the standard scripted apology blaming someone for impacting their customers. Time to start looking around.
I'm not on any contract so can leave anytime i wish , but so far only 2 issues like that in a few years so I can still give them time.

mjzar

My line is slow again..
I'm getting approx. 30Mbps download on 100/100 service, across a selection of test servers (ZA), and mybb speed test. Fast.com is saying 8.4 down

Not happy, running out of patience :( :thumbsdown: