Movie Mini-Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Revenant wasn't really poetic..more just hectic. Cool movie, I wouldn't it's epic, story line is thin but it's a good watch. The small screen doesn't do it justice.
 
If ever there was a 'poetic' director, it's Terrence Malick.

Oi! This is a movie review thread. Terrence Malick discussions belong in the Self-Indulgent, Autoerotic "Art" thread over that way ===>
 
:wtf: Have you seen Badlands or The Thin Red Line?

Yeah. Discussed it here before. I've given Malick chance after chance after chance and every time if finish one of his movies, I feel like he's pointing at me and laughing... Again. Done with him.
 
Yeah. Discussed it here before. I've given Malick chance after chance after chance and every time if finish one of his movies, I feel like he's pointing at me and laughing... Again. Done with him.

I can't stand his newer movies. I just switched The Tree of Life off after about 10 minutes of that garbage. To the Wonder is even worse. But his early movies were classics, IMO.
 
I can't stand his newer movies. I just switched The Tree of Life off after about 10 minutes of that garbage. To the Wonder is even worse. But his early movies were classics, IMO.

Clooney, Harrelson, Cusack, Brody, Caviezel, Reilly... I so wanted to like The Thin Red Line, then I watched it.
 
Knight of Cups - 5/10.

Summary of plot from Wikipedia:
"A screenwriter living in Los Angeles tries to make sense of the strange events occurring around him. While he's successful in his career, his life feels empty. Haunted by the death of one brother and the dire circumstances of the other, he finds temporary solace in the Hollywood excess that defines his existence. Women provide a distraction to the daily pain he must endure. And every encounter that comes his way brings him closer to finding his place in the world"

The movie looks visually stunning, but seems like a mish mash of video clips. 2 hours long. I think it is a movie better appreciated when stoned or drunk on a Friday night. Having been educated by the comments below I now realise "poetic movies" are not for me.
 
Heat (1995) - 7/10

Didn't hold up for me, and I think the score had a lot to do with it. Acting was top notch, sound design and cinematography as well.
 
Heat (1995) - 7/10

Didn't hold up for me, and I think the score had a lot to do with it. Acting was top notch, sound design and cinematography as well.

Did Pacino's scene-chewing rub you the wrong way? One of the best gunfights I've seen filmed...I watched that and Way of the Gun back to back a year or two ago.
 
Did Pacino's scene-chewing rub you the wrong way?.

I don't think it was scene chewing as much as it was the character deciding to be over the top at times. I enjoyed him, it definitely wasn't overdone.
 
^^, is it because he's got a great ass...and you've got your head all the way up it? :p

Rosario Tijeras (2005) 7/10 - enjoyed.
 
You can tell us how accurate Tom Hiddleston's impersonations are:

I've seen it before :) I'm a fan of Hiddlestone, but I don't think he's got either of them down.. His Owen Wilson wasn't bad though.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X