MTN Black Friday Discussions

X-Gamer

Expert Member
I cant seem to find that transaction history page that you showed.
But I went throught the invoice pages and a previous bill overview and it for Dec 2019 nothing shows

Dec is just missing. If I filter to Dec only it says no data available

The only thing I see different that happened in Dec 2019 is that the "Promo service fee" fell away
Thanks. The missing December figure is strange. MTN's billing systems are a mess by the looks of it.

I used https://mycontract.mtn.co.za/ and then the "View my statements icon" on the top left to get to this summary.

MidnightZA

Expert Member
If anyone is interested in wasting their allocated night data, I will add a few simple steps that can help

Step 1: Download an app called Flud on Goolge App store (not sure about apple)
Step 2: Open app and configure scheduler to download between 12:01 and whatever end time you wish
Step 3: Find a torrent of a large file. I find a full season of a series the best fit for the purpose, just for the size
Step 4: Add torrent to Flud app
Step 5: Wait until download has completed
Step 6: Delete the downloaded series and watch it on Netflix or your preferred paid streaming service
Step 7: (Optional) Laugh at MTN

Hope this guide helps

I tested it and managed to do about 14gigs last night.
I ran out of space on my phone, I'll just delete and add the same downloads again tonight
View attachment 780728

Quick update:
1.54 gigs left out of 50 gigs.

To streamline the process I put a 32GB SD card in my phone. Out of the 48 gigs I downloaded so far, I deleted 30 gigs of files

The app works perfectly
SmartSelect_20200306-083007_MTN.jpg

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
Quick update:
1.54 gigs left out of 50 gigs.

To streamline the process I put a 32GB SD card in my phone. Out of the 48 gigs I downloaded so far, I deleted 30 gigs of files

The app works perfectly
View attachment 796187

im actually having issues with the app

followed your advice of adding the torrent and then shutting down the app

both times the app didnt start at 12 or anything

can you post screenshots of your settings

mainly power management and scheduling

thanks

MidnightZA

Expert Member
im actually having issues with the app

followed your advice of adding the torrent and then shutting down the app

both times the app didnt start at 12 or anything

can you post screenshots of your settings

mainly power management and scheduling

thanks

Here you go.

Screenshot_20200306-114845_Flud.jpg

Screenshot_20200306-114825_Flud.jpg

To test the app setting you can set it for the current time plus 1 min, and then plus another min to shutdown. Just so you dont have to wait till midnight to see if it open.

Maybe powersaving affects the auto start? Do you keep your phone on powersaving mode?

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
Here you go.

View attachment 796399

View attachment 796401

To test the app setting you can set it for the current time plus 1 min, and then plus another min to shutdown. Just so you dont have to wait till midnight to see if it open.

Maybe powersaving affects the auto start? Do you keep your phone on powersaving mode?

no i dont , never ever have powersaving mode on. Its a huawei p10

i see mine says 12:05 am ...not 00:05

doubt that makes a difference

good app if it works cause i normally set an alarm to be up at 12 to download and wake up before 5 again to stop it

MidnightZA

Expert Member
no i dont , never ever have powersaving mode on. Its a huawei p10

i see mine says 12:05 am ...not 00:05

doubt that makes a difference

good app if it works cause i normally set an alarm to be up at 12 to download and wake up before 5 again to stop it

Maybe try set your phone to the 24H clock format and keep running in background ticked. It will kill your battery faster though

HoosenE

Wrong thread but can somebody explain why my MTN phone is showing “snn” as the network
d2b5490d-94ea-4724-be5a-c9a1ce58961e.jpg

airborne

Honorary Master
Has anyone had an issue recently where the Night Express Data is not getting used?

I setup downloads after midnight till 5am and my damn anytime data is getting used and that's already getting slammed due to the lockdown.

rodga

Honorary Master
Has anyone had an issue recently where the Night Express Data is not getting used?

I setup downloads after midnight till 5am and my damn anytime data is getting used and that's already getting slammed due to the lockdown.
If I can stay up till after midnight I will give it a go lol

airborne

Honorary Master
If I can stay up till after midnight I will give it a go lol
Qbittorrent has speed limiting settings, you can setup a 2kb speed limit from 5am till 12pm, then once midnight arrives it switched to max speed and back again at 5am.

FAZE MAZE

Just checking... you're setting up your downloads using the device in which you have your primary SIM (ie. the SIM with the contract). And not on a device which is making use of the Data Share on a secondary SIM card?

I've found that no matter the time of the day/night, the anytime data will get used if downloading/browsing on a secondary SIM.

So to make use of the Night Express data in my case, i either have to download directly on my phone (primary SIM in phone), or create a Mobile Hotspot from my phone so the download still goes through the primary SIM.

akescpt

Honorary Master
When I’m doing the hotspot it refuses to use the news protocol to download. Can’t understand how they dictate how I can use the data I’m paying for. During the day and after midnight.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
When I’m doing the hotspot it refuses to use the news protocol to download. Can’t understand how they dictate how I can use the data I’m paying for. During the day and after midnight.
Using ssl? Very hard to block port 80 ssl if it supported. Otherwise just use vpn.

airborne

Honorary Master
Just checking... you're setting up your downloads using the device in which you have your primary SIM (ie. the SIM with the contract). And not on a device which is making use of the Data Share on a secondary SIM card?

I've found that no matter the time of the day/night, the anytime data will get used if downloading/browsing on a secondary SIM.

So to make use of the Night Express data in my case, i either have to download directly on my phone (primary SIM in phone), or create a Mobile Hotspot from my phone so the download still goes through the primary SIM.
Thanks, I have previously discovered that little gem so the primary contract sim is in the router that is providing the data to the device.