MultiChoice price increase due to 'operating costs'

Development and implementation of new services, like HD and digital terrestrial is not free...

The HD decoder is not ready for widespread consumer use, and can thus not be seen as a new service. Their software stack is too buggy. They do not even broadcast in wide screen (maybe 5% of content) nor proper stereo yet, so still have a ways to go.

MC is not using DVB-T. Only analogue broadcasters will use it (SABC, ETV, etc).
 
Yea but not everyone is paying for HD, i know until all the sports channels are broadcast in HD i won't go for it. The install cost is about 2.8k and the decoder is 3-4k. Thats alot of money for one channel if you ask me.
 
Last edited:
For R500 a month they can bring back the SCI-FI channel and have at least 50% of the channels broadcast Dolby Digital audio. I don't care for HD at the moment - equipment is way over-priced and MC don't have the bandwidth.

What happened to their proposed adult channel?

Something tells me that would their carrot if ODM launches.:)
 
I don't think it is expensive, for my 500 bucks a month i get a lot channels to watch and i don't watch 10 hours a day of dstv so i hardly notice the repeats and always find something to watch. Add in the sport and i think it has alot to offer for a small amount of money.

The problem is people in this country compare everything to other countries where there are many more subscribers. comparing us to a place like UK for instance is silly because so many people can afford dstv type things so the subcriber base in the uk is like 20 x more than us.

I agree. It doesn't match up to overseas cable networks, etc but it's a hell of a lot better than the free TV offered.

I also watch quite a bit of sport including the F1 grand prix, I like the documentary channels (Discovery, History, BBC Knowledge, etc) while the style network and e entertainment keep the girlfriend entertained if I want to surf the net or go out to the pub.

That's a lot of value for 500 bucks. I'd like some additional channels though, maybe Comedy Central or something.

In an ideal world, they should offer a compact service, where one is able to pick twenty or so of their own channels. Then I would definitely go for that, because I don't watch most of the channels on the premium subscription, but the compact has NOTHING. That's a bit greedy on their part, but hey, I'm willing to spend the R500.
 
I can only assume that you are referring to the trail with the old analogue M-Net decoders, hence the title "Multichoice runs MNet digital trial".

You don't need a dvb-t set-top box if you use satellite. MC is sure to discontinue their analogue service in the near future, IMO.

You said DVB-T will only be used by SABC and eTV. I'm telling you they are testing a brand new DVB-T box with the digital broadcast over UHF channel 50 in Cape Town. That is MC... not SABC or eTV.
 
Last edited:
I don't mind paying (that is everyone's choice) but what I am unhappy with the fact that I am paying for services like DSTV on Demand which does not work on the HD PVR yet (I never got the SD PVR since I knew about the HD PVR that was coming). I am also on my third HD PVR already. We should get a partial rebate until all the functionality is available.
 
QT, u seem to be very knowledgeable about MC: would u enlighten us as to when MC will sort out the issue-laden "HD" PVR decoder?

I can't really answer that... In my experience there is already a lot less issues than there was. Just hang in there. That Pace box is actually a great piece of hardware.
 
You said DVB-T will only be used by SABC and eTV. I'm telling you they are testing a brand new DVB-T box with the digital broadcast over UHF channel 50 in Cape Town. That is MC... not SABC or eTV.

Source: http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/?p=16320
The first multiplex will be used for public broadcasting, including the SABC and Eastern Cape community station Trinity Broadcasting Network. A public value test will be applied to any channels wishing to broadcast on this multiplex. The SABC will have to include two regional channels as part of this multiplex.

In the second multiplex, commercial free-to-air services will be included. E.tv will be allocated 60 percent of the multiplex, with additional capacity to be allocated to new broadcasters.

Of the third multiplex, 50 percent will be reserved for pay-TV operator M-Net, conditional on its ability to switch all its subscribers from its current analogue decoders to digital decoders within a year.

Like I said. M-Net will have to convert their analogue decoders to digital, or more probable, just scrap it, but that is just my opinion.
 
As for the sport, go to the game and watch or just to your local restaurant or pub.
Download the rest.

uhm each game at a pub...my wife will kill me LOL...also will sepnd more than R500 on booze....didn't they launch a streaming website for all local rugby? yay!
For R1000 you get all super 14 matches, tests, and even currie cup!!!!
when SEACOM gets here...cheers Mono****.

oh heres the link....
http://www.rugbyzone.co.za/channel/foxsports/2009.asp

Another edit...
"Can I watch the video service on my work PC and my home PC?
You can watch this service on up to three separate PCs no matter where they are located. "

great so you can share your account with three buddies! R333 pp


Oops, only available in Aus...supersport not so superstupid!
i wonder if a Aus prox will work :)

Hahahahaha they stream Curriecup but only available in Australia! Maybe i should also immigrate?
 
Last edited:
http://mybroadband.co.za/news/General/7837.htmlWhen I called last month to downgrade from DSTV Premium, [Mo]noChoice told me that the DSTV Select price increase would come into effect from 2009-05-01.Yes, either cancel or downgrade to a slightly less expensive package - although if one could die from boredom, then DSTV and its constant repeats would be one way to go.
I'm downgrading to the Compact - its R219 per month plus R60 to keep the PVR. The R280.00 I'm saving should buy enough bandwidth to significantly lessen the blow.

Funny thing is they (Mweb) are also losing me as a ADSL subscriber this month.
 
This is exactly what we did. Paying over R600 for DSTV is insane...especially since most things are repeats. :confused: :cool:

Who pays R600 for DSTV?

You make a valid point, as prices increase it makes more sense to download the shows I want, and with SEACOM coming I may just cancel DSTV by the end of this year.

but I can't find Super 14 or Currie Cup Rugby, IPL or international Cricket, horseracing and a number of other sports that my family and I like to watch so I'll just have to continue paying I guess!
 
Last edited:
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X