MWEB Uncapped ADSL - Official Q & A

Status
Not open for further replies.
MWEB - Has the additional capacity been delivered by the provider as they promised?

+1
I spoke to technical support. They had no clue. Just opened a case. Will see what's happening.

My torrents are running @ .8 down and 4 up.
 
I'm wishing for half speed at this stage on my 512 account

Why would you gauge your line speed using torrents on a shaped account during business hours? If the shaping is operating correctly they should be crawling.
 
that is half your line/package speed. 200kb/s is also half the 4meg line/package speed. thus like for like i guess.

Firstly, my line speed works out to around 46KB/s so 10-15 KB/s is hardly half. And secondly, from what I understand, during the day, HTTP is given priority (I am not downloading from Rapidshare or any hosting site). My speedtest is maxing at 15KB/s.
 
Durban. It is really slow today.
Hi zs6cey,

I'll ask engineering to enquire with Telkom if there are any issues on the ADSL access network in KZN. Once it gets to MWEB's network you should recieve the exact same expereince as from any other location.

MWB.
 
Hi

I would just like to tell everyone that is planning on using this for games it is a NO GO - I am using a 4Mb Line , ISP = axxess.co.za ( Backbone = Internet Solutions , IS )

For Gaming The Ping sits at 100 - 120 constant. For downloading i used to get 450Kb/s now i get 300Kb/s

And for Torrents maybe 200Kb/s Max with Thousands of seeders and peers.

These Accounts are NOT Gaming ACCOUNTS - They are Shaped - They are For Browsing with speed and accessing Email at speed and some Downloading - NOT GAMING.

Mweb , Axxess , Openweb , Afrihost - DON'T BE DUMB ALL THE ISPS WILL BE THE SAME

Don't be dumb yourself. Provide proof that all the ISPs mentioned, perform poorly for all the online games.

Use the MyConnectionPC program, running constant tests on each ISP for at least 1 month.

I would love to see the results.

Hi luxe,

There we no changes made or issues on our network during the night. Can you confirm nothing changed in your local setup/environment?

MWB.

I was using my telkom account from 12 last night and had the same problems at around that time, whilst trying to game.

The facebook fan page says they are developing a product specifically designed for gaming. I think that is still a long time coming though.

Please confirm MWEB, the timeline expected for more gaming related uncapped packages.

My ping to Lindenlabs' Secondlife servers San Francisco, with DigiChilli, was always around 400-500, just as with telkom. Anything better than that will make me smile.
 
Yeah, same here. As I am not able to dial out from my phone now so I've logged a call with Telkom.
 
Hi luxe,

There we no changes made or issues on our network during the night. Can you confirm nothing changed in your local setup/environment?

MWB.

Hi MWEB Magician,

Thanks for the reply, the issue was just down to a lack of seeders on the update for FFXI - so not a network issue.

If i may raise another point -

1) I understand that an uncapped account is not designed for gaming.
2) If this account is the only option that financially kills two birds with one stone (uncapped + decent speed), then is there a chance that the shaping could be less vigilant from 6pm in the evening? I don't start gaming at 11pm as i doubt many others do.

Note that i know that this package is not the ideal solution for low-latency gaming, and i am willing to sacrifice my low pings for the freedom to update my games without having to worry about bandwidth; but if there was some kind of package that unshaped the gaming ports (if that exists), this would probably benefit a vast majority of the "new users" you have picked up in the last week and a bit.

Nice service so far, only a few issues with the line dropping, pinging out of games etc, but a most helpful support desk.

Thanks
 
but if there was some kind of package that unshaped the gaming ports (if that exists
Hi luxe,

MWEB are investigating the feasibility of providing gaming focused/prioritised (uncapped) offerings in the future, however for now the current uncapped products do not specifically prioritise/guarantee low latency for gaming.

We do believe however during off-peak periods (moderate network load) they should provide a reasonable gaming experience.

MWB.
 
Hi luxe,

MWEB are investigating the feasibility of providing gaming focused/prioritised (uncapped) offerings in the future, however for now the current uncapped products do not specifically prioritise/guarantee low latency for gaming.

We do believe however during off-peak periods (moderate network load) they should provide a reasonable gaming experience.

MWB.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

The reason i ask, and i fully understand your post - is that if the "pipes are opened" at 11pm (your Off-Peak), i dont know many people that start gaming at 11pm - work and all. I was suggesting a little more priority for gaming from 6pm, but understand if this it not possible.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X