South Africa’s biggest forum. Discuss, discover, and connect with thousands of members.
I'm not the MWeb rep. so I can't speak for MWeb. We've had this entire conversation before. Certain protocols have a higher priority, which is not to say that other protocols are blocked completely. Stream as much YouTube as you like, if you're prepared to buffer it. Listen to the radio as much as you like, at 60MB per hour, for 8 hours a day. That alone can be about 500MB per day. Uncapped will certainly help for that. Download as much as you like, if you're prepared to wait for it. This post and the ones following it one that and the next page show that some people have pulled down so many GB they have run out of stuff to download.
I'm not the MWeb rep. so I can't speak for MWeb. Ask the people in the thread I mentioned above who have run out of stuff to download. 60GB in a weekend speaks for itself.
In your haste to defend all things Mweb, you seem to forget that the internet is about doing what we want WHEN we want. I don't want to have to wait for a time when things are quiet to do what the rest of the civilized world can do anytime. I didn't see that clause in the T&C and it's very very frustrating, especially now when INTERNATIONAL IS DOWN FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME!!
Yeah, internation just died although things I was connected to are still connected, just can't go to them again or anything else. Google still works though!...
Getting tired of all these problems :/
The link appears to be back up. I love these forums. You literally get a blow-by-blow, second-by-second picture of the international link. 12:00 It's down! Evil MWeb! This sucks! 12:02 It's back up now.
...Ensuring that the users are protected, would be to divulge the information we need to ensure we dont impede anyone else's service through Mweb.. - Does that not make sense?
scorpioso69
I'm on a 384kb line and was with ICL-Eject, quite happy with 40KBps on cached stuff. Then I switched to an uncapped account at same ISP and the IS shaping kicked in..TERRIBLE!!! SHOCKING!
Am absolutely p**sed off with IS shaping. So yesterday I quickly got a Mweb uncapped on 384kb and now my grbt is struggling to do anything on the IS news.... realloy sux. mweb news also sux.
Am I missing something here?
So after 3 days of dial up speeds (even for web browsing) I decided to try do something about it (other than constantly restarting my router).
First I phoned Telkom and they checked their side and did a resync but that didn't help.
Then I phoned MWeb and they couldn't see a problem either. They did an account reactivation or something and told me to restart my router in 30 mins and try again. Still didn't fix it. I phoned them back and the guy basically said it's traffic and nothing we can do about it.
So after more than a month of normal speeds, why now and why only a couple of us? Surely dial up speeds at 11pm isn't purely down to traffic?
Here's some speedtest results (I'm on 512k uncapped and in JHB btw):
New York:
London:
JHB:
Cape Town:
Durban:
![]()
But what has not, is the fact that 'network abuse' wont be tolerated...


